cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

1 ton Dually Pickup Owners Question

D_and_A_plus_6
Explorer
Explorer
I am thinking about upgrading from a f250 to a f350 Dually. I was told it was a federal law that they are treat like a road tractor/semi, and must keep log book, CDL, med card, dot number on side of truck et. My friend was pulling a 5th wheel livestock trailer, got pulled over in a neighboring state and received several tickets because he didn't have any of this.
I've seen several duallies pulling travel trailers and dont see dot numbers on the side of their trucks, What the difference or what do you do not to get bothered?

Thanks for any info?
48 REPLIES 48

hawkeye-08
Explorer II
Explorer II
Brings back memories of growing up on farm... only buying tonnage (weight part of license) for the harvest season. I saw many of license plate that had mud slung on it to cover the expired tags... local LEOs didn't bother farmers too much. We hauled alfalfa and had to stop at scales, but no CDL needed back in the day (we were around 20 tons loaded).

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
At least not if it involves crossing state lines with a gooseneck livestock trailer in tow.

Once you cross state lines, you enter Federal rules territory, and a whole different set of rules compared to staying within your own state.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
So the take away is don't use your AG registered truck to take the fifth wheel on vacation?
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

Fred_n_Jo
Explorer
Explorer
He was not legal in Missouri let alone any other state between here and South Dakota.

First, MO license fee for trucks is determined by the total load you might want to haul or tow with that license. It has nothing to do with the rated capacity of the vehicle, only on what the total truck or combination with trailer might weigh at any time he might be ask to weigh on some portable scales. I don't know where the 3600 lbs came from as the least weight you can choose is 6000 lbs and his dualy would use most of that up. Hook the goose neck up and load the bull and he was well over that minimum license. When I was pulling a 5th wheel I had to have 24000 lb license.

Secondly you must choose between local and beyond local. His local license was only good for 50 miles from his home. That would primarily apply to only a farm use vehicle and trips to the feed store.
2017 Host Rainier Truck Camper
2015 F450 Lariat 6.7L PSD CC 4x4

our places camped Map

our rig ready to roll

Butch50
Explorer
Explorer
Folks lets not beat this horse to death. Look at post from the OP on page 4 as he got more information. The rig had 3600 (what ever that means) Local Farm Tags on the truck. I think this says it all as most likely local farm tags from MO were not valid tags in IA.

His post kind of got lost by all the talk about MD and HD trucks with long quotes.
Butch

I try to always leave doubt to my ignorance rather than prove it

2021 Winnebago View

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
RVs are exempt unless you are hauling one for hire. Now some states will require and up graded non-commercial license for a dually due to the GCWR being over 26,000 lb and towing over 10000 lb.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
The guy was hauling a livestock trailer, not a RV.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have hauled a 40'+ Fifthwheel from coast to coast, Florida to Alaska, Florida to all the Canadian Maritime and have never stopped at a DOT Scales or been stopped by any Police local or state.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
D and A plus 6 wrote:
I am thinking about upgrading from a f250 to a f350 Dually. I was told it was a federal law that they are treat like a road tractor/semi, and must keep log book, CDL, med card, dot number on side of truck et. My friend was pulling a 5th wheel livestock trailer, got pulled over in a neighboring state and received several tickets because he didn't have any of this.
I've seen several duallies pulling travel trailers and dont see dot numbers on the side of their trucks, What the difference or what do you do not to get bothered?

Thanks for any info?

Your friend must have been hauling for pay (commercial use), in which case, YES, he should have followed all the commercial rules.
I had a one ton dually standard cab long bed Dodge CTD several years ago. I registered it for 14,000 lbs. GVW, and was towing a 32 foot triple slide fifth wheel, through Montana, Idaho, Washington, California, Oregon, Utah, and Nevada. No problems.
I hauled hay locally for our horses with it as well, no problems.
The difference is whether the truck is for hire or not for hire.
Not for hire trucks will not be bothered by the DOT.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:
Chuck_thehammer wrote:
GordonThree wrote:
Chuck_thehammer wrote:
in this campground.... last week..

a freightliner single axle tractor.. pulling a Jayco Sismic 5th wheel toy hauler..

painted right on side of tractor ..

'Registered as RV" and under it said "NOT FOR HIRE"..

and there are a lot of dually's here pulling 5th wheel RV's
for private personal use.

I get a smile seeing those modified RV tractors. One frequents the campground near home, carrying a little car on the tractor behind the cab and in front of the fifth wheel.

Really big letters private recreational vehicle not for hire on either side.

IMG_1296 (1152 x 864) by ,

Is that yours? How fun it must be to put one of them together.

No Sir.... I wish.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Chuck_thehammer wrote:
GordonThree wrote:
Chuck_thehammer wrote:

a freightliner single axle tractor.. pulling a Jayco Sismic 5th wheel toy hauler..

I get a smile seeing those modified RV tractors. One frequents the campground near home, carrying a little car on the tractor behind the cab and in front of the fifth wheel.

Is that yours? How fun it must be to put one of them together.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

Supercharged
Explorer
Explorer
D and A plus 6 wrote:

Thanks for any info?
You have a chain on your wallet more than 12 in. long.
So big a world, so little time to see.

moresmoke
Explorer
Explorer
D and A plus 6 wrote:
He own truck, goose neck trailer, one bull, no signs on truck. Missouri licence driving through Iowa going to South Dakata.
He ask cop why he pulled him over, the reply was saw Missouri dually with no dot number on the door and wouldn't matter if you had trailer or not.

After learning more, only had 3600 local farm tags. I'm guessing that was the deal breaker.

If he was just driving the dually, he could be pulled over, but not much the police can do unless there is evidence he is working. Business name, tool boxes, contractor stuff etc.

A dually pulling a camper or boat is not going to draw much attention unless it has big logos all over it from your tournament sponsor.

Generally, you don't take you pet bull for a joyride across 2 states.

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:
Chuck_thehammer wrote: