cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

1000 Watt PSW Inverter/Charger w/255 ah AGM

sasquatchgeoff
Explorer II
Explorer II
After dealing with battery issues for quite some time I decided to ensure that I would have ample power for 2 weeks-plus boondocking by upgrading my electrical storage.

I took half my wardrobe space and created a power center to augment my Renogy 200 watt solar.

There are two group 24 battery boxes in the forward half of the wardrobe. My third battery is in the standard RV battery case adjacent to the wardrobe. All power is within a 3 ft circle, so I used 4 stranded AWG for cable between the batteries and the batteries to the inverter. I fused the DC with a 250 amp car audio fuse holder, and the 10 ga line coming from the solar panels with a jumbo 30 amp fuse/holder.

I bought an AIMS 1000 watt (2000 watt peak) PSW inverter/charger because it was the cheapest PSW I could find with a charger. All of the fancier brands like Schneider Electric (Xantrex), Samlex, and TrippLite were at least 2 times the price. The AIMS unit has been flawless, and their customer support is top-notch. The Samlex and Xantrex are similar configurations, and are also made in China. I wanted PSW because I am a musician and my tube amp will operate much more quietly.

First I got rid of the old original Magnatek converter garbage that was making me nervous every time I plugged into shore power. I simply found the two wires connected to the AC detection relay switch (blue and white) and closed the circuit by connecting them together. I left the breaker/fuse panel intact. The old converter is sitting in a corner in my garage. There is a youtube video on how to bypass/remove the old converter.

Then I had to be able to isolate the 30 amp current coming from shore power since I did not want to use the inverter/charger as an AC pass-through. I only wanted to provide fused 30 amp AC current to the inverter/charger when connected to shore power to charge the battery bank (the AIMS is 25/55 amp) and run the heavy appliances (AC and micro) and outlets, but also only wanted to power the outlets (NOT the microwave and AC) with the DC to AC inverter when boondocking, so I also isolated the 20 amp outlets circuit.

I was able to accomplish the isolation of both circuits by installing a 2-gang breaker box under the sink with a 30 amp and 20 amp breaker. When I'm plugged into shore power, I throw the 30 amp breaker to ON, and the 20 amp breaker to OFF. When I am boondocking and want AC in my outlets, I do the opposite. Also, it is important to switch the house main 30 amp breaker to OFF when on inverter power, otherwise, power loops through the inverter/charger and the unit cycles and clicks.

I connected the 20 amp AC line coming FROM the inverter and new double gang circuit panel directly to the 20 amp breaker in the house circuit panel. I connected the 30 amp line coming from the breaker-protected double-gang circuit panel to the main 30 amp breaker in the house circuit panel.

All in all, it is a workable system, when boondocking, I have power in my outlets without cranking the generator, I have a very efficient, modern smart charger for the battery bank, and I got rid of a fire hazard by eliminating my old, worn out converter.

The AIMS inverter/charger is a great value, and I believe made by a good company despite being on the lower end of the price scale.

If anyone wants to see pics, I can post in this thread, or PM.
1996 F350 SRW CrewCab XLT 7.3L PS 2019 NL 10-2EXCD SE
11 REPLIES 11

sasquatchgeoff
Explorer II
Explorer II
smkettner wrote:
No just the branch circuit would have power. Main panel would be dead while inverting.

Cord --> main panel --> branch breaker --> inverter in --> inverter out --> branch circuit.

The electricity goes one direction. If it starts at the cord it goes all the way down. If it starts at the inverter it just hits the outlets.

You would actually remove the branch circuit romex from the main panel and attach it to the inverter output.

Got it. The inverter input is supplied by the branch circuit breaker (not connected to the branch circuit itself) - The output of the inverter feeds the branch circuit (not connected to the branch circuit breaker). Now I have an extra double-gang circuit panel and a couple breakers. Also, I'm down about half a days work.

On second thought, I'll keep the breaker panel. It will be nice to have an extra emergency kill switch for shore power - or inverter power. All the romex is run, just need to switch the stuff around in the house panel and slave panel.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
No just the branch circuit would have power. Main panel would be dead while inverting.

Cord --> main panel --> branch breaker --> inverter in --> inverter out --> branch circuit.

The electricity goes one direction. If it starts at the cord it goes all the way down. If it starts at the inverter it just hits the outlets.

You would actually remove the branch circuit romex from the main panel and attach it to the inverter output.

sasquatchgeoff
Explorer II
Explorer II
smkettner wrote:
Yea I think you are better to reconnect the main cord direct back to the panel. Connect the branch circuit to the inverter output. Spare piece of romex to connect the branch circuit from panel to the inverter input. Still same protection and no hazards, no switches.

With that method, would I still have an energized shore cable when on inverter power? The branch circuit is connected to the main at the panel.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yea I think you are better to reconnect the main cord direct back to the panel. Connect the branch circuit to the inverter output. Spare piece of romex to connect the branch circuit from panel to the inverter input. Still same protection and no hazards, no switches.

sasquatchgeoff
Explorer II
Explorer II
2oldman wrote:
If I'm seeing the right one, it has a 35a charger, which I guess is fine for 255ah of battery.

Is yours a hard-wire model? .. because the Amazon pic shows outlets.

Yes - mine is the hardwired model. Looks like Amazon is selling for 299 - thats a little cheaper than what I paid.

Also, I have an extra (spare) unused and sealed in box. My first one failed (long story) so I ordered a replacement as I was heading out for South Dakota that weekend. Today the second replacement arrived via UPS. The AIMS folks are a class-act. PM me if you're interested in buying the one I have. They have a one-year warranty.

Look for PIC100012120S on the Amazon site.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
If I'm seeing the right one, it has a 35a charger, which I guess is fine for 255ah of battery.

Is yours a hard-wire model? .. because the Amazon pic shows outlets.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

sasquatchgeoff
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here is a rudimentary schematic of what I have done:

sasquatchgeoff
Explorer II
Explorer II
smkettner wrote:
I would have recommended a small transfer switch for an extra circuit.
The AIMS 15/20 amp could have worked for one branch circuit.

Just so there is no mistaken possibility to energize the main cord with the inverter I suppose it is all good.

I agree. But hindsight is 20-20 I guess. I figured if I could get it at my local hardware store, and it worked, I was good. After frying an old converter once, I wanted to over-design the heck out of it. The air conditioner current draw made me over-think the problem.

And you are correct, I must be very careful not to energize the shore cable with inverter AC. Since this is an old rig, and not much chance of anyone but me using it, I am OK I guess, unless I'm drunk or something and get my wires crossed. If I sell it, I will yank everything (including solar) and put the old beast of a converter back in ๐Ÿ™‚

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would have recommended a small transfer switch for an extra circuit.
The AIMS 15/20 amp could have worked for one branch circuit.

Just so there is no mistaken possibility to energize the main cord with the inverter I suppose it is all good.

sasquatchgeoff
Explorer II
Explorer II
2oldman wrote:
sasquatchgeoff wrote:
I did not want to use the inverter/charger as an AC pass-through.
Why not? How do you run your air?

I used a separate breaker panel with a 30 amp breaker which gets thrown to ON when I am on shore power - this closes the circuit for the shore power, i.e. "everything" and provides the normal shore power setup, otherwise, if I run 30 amps through an inverter (even in pass-through mode!) that is only rated for 15 or 20, I was concerned that the wiring in the inverter would not be heavy enough for the task.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
sasquatchgeoff wrote:
I did not want to use the inverter/charger as an AC pass-through.
Why not? How do you run your air?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman