cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

14 west across big horn mountain

Skeeterhawk
Explorer
Explorer
I’m planning on traveling across the Big Horn Mountains in Wyoming. Traveling west from Ranchester to Greybull pulling a 32 ft. travel trailer with a Chevrolet Duramax.
On the west side going downhill, should I be ok in tow haul mode? Any and advice will be helpful.

Thanks
14 REPLIES 14

The_Kroc
Explorer
Explorer
Rt 14 is fine, just don't confuse this with Alt 14 which is not good in any kind of TT (very steep). Enjoy the view, it's stunning!

mike77leprechau
Explorer
Explorer
My favorite place in the WORLD! yes as stated youll be fine just follow the recommendations have one at Bear Lodge For me!
Current Rig: 2018 Forest River Salem 32BHI Towed with a 2017 Ram 1500 Big Horn 4x4-5.7 Hemi/4x4/3.92/8 Speed Auto

"You should really invest in a Diesel 1 ton to properly tow that popup"

camping_cowleys
Explorer
Explorer
You will be fine with that setup. I just got back from that location a couple days ago. Spent 5 nights in a national forest campground up there (tie flume). Just be sure to take 14 toward shell and Greybull. You don't want Alt 14 toward Lovell, that is a 10% grade. Be prepared for long construction delays. We sat for 30 minutes while they ground down the existing asphalt. I had to use second gear going up and came down in 3 with the truck and trailer in my signature. Been going there for 20+ years. My families favorite place to camp
John,Carol
Sarah,Rachel, JJ
2005 YukonXL 2500 8.1 4.10
2008 Sunnybrook 298BH

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Easy drive. Just don't expect to go 60+ mph the entire way. Allow some extra time and enjoy the journey.

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
On my recent trip through the east, I used my selective shift option on almost every descent in the mountains. I just downshifted and let the ecoboost slow me down. I personally don't think the littley turbo does as good of a job as a 5.4 l V8 but I didn't have to use the brakes much. Never had to use the brakes for more than a couple of seconds.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

Skeeterhawk
Explorer
Explorer
73 guna. Thanks for the info. I’ve pulled in some hills and the smokie mountains but this looks a lot different.

73guna
Explorer
Explorer
While in town/haul mode the Allison is smart and works great on downhill grades. Probably no need to use manual shift unless you want to be in control.
Also if manual was bad for the tranny why would it be there?
2007 Chevy Silverado Crewcab Duramax.
2016 Wildwood 31qbts.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
One of the great mountain ranges. Lots of wildlife especially elk.
Use lower gears and control your speed.

Skeeterhawk
Explorer
Explorer
My truck has a manual option but I’ve never used it. I’ve read that it’s not good for the transmission if you use it a lot. Do you think I’ll be ok in drive and tow haul mode?

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Those are the kind of roads that I want to see and my purpose of using an RV. If you and the vehicles are up to the task, go for it. Every day we read on here about the easiest or flattest route and found those scary roads that should be avoided are just the ones I want.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
YES....use tow/haul
Going up/going down/driving flat

It is designed for TOWING/HAULING loads.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
If yo are going on hiway 14 you should have no problem as long as you know how to drive in the mountains. Always use the truckers recommendation of always going down a hill in one gear lower than you went up it. 14A is a different story.

My wife and I have gone down 14A several times headed west. We have towed popups pulled by both Chevy Caprice and Mercury Grand Marquis. We also went down 14A going west with a Toyota Escaper w/4 cylinder and auto. I have never had hot brakes (or even warm brakes) on these trips. The thing to remember is that you always go down a hill in the gear lower than you would use going up. I frequently end up going down extreme hills in first gear and use my brakes as little as possible.

This is a quote from the Wyoming Mountain Road website--
"Highway 14A is extremely steep, a 10-percent grade and more, is winding, has several hairpin turns, and many blind corners. This is a challenging road during the summer season and closed during the winter.
This road is not recommended for oversize or over-length loads. Unless you are experienced in extreme mountain road driving, it is not advisable for 18-wheelers.
For tourists, it is a beautiful drive with wildlife, wonderful scenery and over 200 mile views in some areas. However, if you are driving a motor home, please pay attention to the information in the above paragraphs. Use lower gears and save the dangerous possibility of burning out your brakes."

Even after reading this, I will continue to go through the Bighorns when I travel. If YOU are nervous about taking this route, take hiway 14 instead.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

Skeeterhawk
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the response. I have a friend who’s driven it 3 times and said he loved it

Ed_Gee
Explorer
Explorer
Personally, I would avoid that route if I could. Steep grades, serious tight curves, 25mph, ..... I have read too many comments from others who did this saying never again.....
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad