cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

18" Equal-i-zer Shank - Hitching with Tailgate Down?

mrgrim007
Explorer
Explorer
Trying to figure out if we can hitch our trailer (on order) to our '14 RAM 3500 with the tailgate down, using an extended shank.

Our tailgate will need to be completely down when hitching - we carry a side by side in the bed.

Looks like the ball will be just at the end of the tailgate, but not 100% sure. Just looking for someone who has done this and can give some insight.

Thanks
2014 RAM 3500 CTD, CC, Longbed
Rockwood 2608BS - On Order

Sold - 2002 Suburban 2500, 8.1L, 4.10
Sold - 2016 Jayco Jayflight SLX 212QBW 25' 6"
Sold - 2013 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS 35' 6"
23 REPLIES 23

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
rotate the jack 90 degrees. My tailgate cleared it when I rotated it. Holes were pre drilled, I just had to tab them.

mrgrim007
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
Does the proposed extended shank have sufficient rating for the weight of your TT?

The 18" shank is rated for up to 1,400 lbs tongue weight, should be plenty.

mrgrim007
Explorer
Explorer
mr_andyj wrote:
Also, do you have that stock class III Mopar receiver hitch? It might work, it might crack. Mine cracked and I put a class V on. A class IV would have done it but the V was just a few dollars more. They will take more tongue weight.

It's a 2.5" hitch, so it should be fine. I think it's a class V. I ordered the 18" shank (rated for up to 1,400 lbs tongue weight). I'll probably order the Jack-e-up as well.

mr_andyj
Explorer
Explorer
Also, do you have that stock class III Mopar receiver hitch? It might work, it might crack. Mine cracked and I put a class V on. A class IV would have done it but the V was just a few dollars more. They will take more tongue weight.

mr_andyj
Explorer
Explorer
I just answered this same question a few days ago. Try checking the "search" function first before posting...

Yes, the answer is yes. That is what those extension shanks are made for. 18 inches should do it.

They are not made for a super heavy trailer, for that you need a Super Truss.

See the Truck Camper forum section, as almost all truck camper guys who tow will be using something as most TCs are about tailgate-down length.

It works just fine with no issues at all.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
mrgrim007 wrote:
TurnThePage wrote:
I have the extended shank which gives me a couple inches of clearance from the electric jack. It appears that I could get away with most turns with the tailgate down. But not ALL turns. If you put the rear tires of the side by side on wood blocks, could you raise the tailgate say half way? They make adapters for that purpose.

Don’t think the wood blocks would help. About half the tire sits on the tailgate.

We’re thinking the 18” shank, the Jack-e-up, along with removing the propane tanks while we travel would work. A bit of an inconvenience to remove those items, but worth it to be able to take the sxs with us.
Get some 2x6s long enough so that the front and rear tires can sit on them. Then strap it down real good.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

lane_hog
Explorer II
Explorer II
mrgrim007 wrote:

Thanks. Do you have the extended shank?

Nope. I couldn't tow my trailer with one because of the weight I'd have to shave off.

Can your ramps be positioned to help bridge the rear wheel? Is there perhaps a hard point up on the frame you could block up on and not have to rely on the wheels for support?

Maybe try one of those fifth wheel tailgates? I had one back in my fifth wheel days, and the ones with louvers aren't going to hold any weight, but Stromberg Carlson makes one from steel tubing that looks like like it could support *some* weight and may provide enough clearance for the shank & jack.

https://www.etrailer.com/Tailgate/Stromberg-Carlson/VGM-07-100.html

You could also check with a fabrication shop and see if they could make a half-gate that would support the tire, fit into the pocket, and latch onto your cable pegs...
  • 2019 Grand Design 29TBS (had a Winnebago and 3x Jayco owner)
  • 2016 F-150 3.5L MaxTow (had Ram 2500 CTD, Dodge Durango)
  • 130W solar and 2005 Honda EU2000i twins that just won't quit

B-n-B
Explorer III
Explorer III
Some interesting solutions here:

https://www.utvguide.net/utv_transport/
2019 Chevy 3500HD LTZ DRW
2021 Lance 975

mrgrim007
Explorer
Explorer
TurnThePage wrote:
I have the extended shank which gives me a couple inches of clearance from the electric jack. It appears that I could get away with most turns with the tailgate down. But not ALL turns. If you put the rear tires of the side by side on wood blocks, could you raise the tailgate say half way? They make adapters for that purpose.

Don’t think the wood blocks would help. About half the tire sits on the tailgate.

We’re thinking the 18” shank, the Jack-e-up, along with removing the propane tanks while we travel would work. A bit of an inconvenience to remove those items, but worth it to be able to take the sxs with us.

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

mrgrim007
Explorer
Explorer
Maybe I could swap the propane bottles and battery? Move the propane to where the battery would normally be - give me some more clearance.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
Does the proposed extended shank have sufficient rating for the weight of your TT?

Reese says to derate the hitch 50% when using an extension and I agree with them. Some don't.

mrgrim007
Explorer
Explorer
lane hog wrote:
Remove the gate. You're asking for trouble with it down.

My tailgate doesn't clear my power jack, and even with a Jack-E-Up, the gate would crunch into my propane tanks on a turn...

Disconnecting my tailgate with a camera and power locks takes about a minute... 10 seconds to disconnect the cables, ~10 seconds for me to crawl under the bumper, 10 seconds to disconnect the wiring harness for the camera, 20 seconds to get back up (takes twice as long these days...), and then another 10 seconds to pop it out of the hinge pockets.

Thanks. Do you have the extended shank?

lane_hog
Explorer II
Explorer II
Remove the gate. You're asking for trouble with it down.

My tailgate doesn't clear my power jack, and even with a Jack-E-Up, the gate would crunch into my propane tanks on a turn...

Disconnecting my tailgate with a camera and power locks takes about a minute... 10 seconds to disconnect the cables, ~10 seconds for me to crawl under the bumper, 10 seconds to disconnect the wiring harness for the camera, 20 seconds to get back up (takes twice as long these days...), and then another 10 seconds to pop it out of the hinge pockets.
  • 2019 Grand Design 29TBS (had a Winnebago and 3x Jayco owner)
  • 2016 F-150 3.5L MaxTow (had Ram 2500 CTD, Dodge Durango)
  • 130W solar and 2005 Honda EU2000i twins that just won't quit