cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

19.5 tire wear

S_Davis
Explorer
Explorer
I am going to have to replace my Toyo M608z 245/70R19.5 tires soon, It looks like I will get about 60,000 miles out of them at 11,000gvw. I am looking for input on how long your 19.5 tires lasted, and how they performed. The Toyo 608z were real squirmy during the fist couple thousand miles but then settled in, great in the rain, snow and ice. I guess the only complaint is they are noisy with the open shoulder.
15 REPLIES 15

sasquatchgeoff
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hankook AH11s have about 25K and have been solid handling. Wear level is medium, have rotated twice. Good tracking and good stability in rain. 100 PSI rear, 75 psi front.
1996 F350 SRW CrewCab XLT 7.3L PS 2019 NL 10-2EXCD SE

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
You will have tons theories on allowable tire age, but it all boils to inspection.
I had car tires who at 10 years had no cracks and I did not hesitate to drive high speeds on them. But car was garaged most of its life.
Than when I bought my vintage bus conversion - old tires had side cracks big enough to stick my small finger in them. Yet they hold 100 psi just fine.
I did follow with experiment and left 1 of old tires on tag axle. 11 years later sold the bus with the tire and cracks on it. Those were the years when tire had only last digit of year on it, so it could be 25 or 35 years old at the time.
But just for the test - I cut side of 22.5 tire to find over 3/4" of rubber with lot of fabric in it. So what 1/4" crack makes to 3/4" of reinforced rubber.
With variety of tires, you can't go by paper recommendation,.
Inspect, inspect, inspect.
Nobody would re-groove tires in California and regardless industry saying they have less % of failures than new tires - the gators on the road don't bring good impression.
Than when I had bus on 22.5 tires, who can last for 3-400,000 miles, instead of paying $550 per tire, I could get used, who at 3 years of age would still have thread good for 60k miles.

Bedlam
This is an older article I read: https://www.fleetowner.com/equipment/tiretracks/fleet_resist_temptation

I figure if the rubber ages out, there is no safe way to regroove.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone got data from Toyo on what the tire age-out is on the M608Z? As both a commercial tire and a tire that can be regrooved, I would think it would be longer than passenger tires/5 years or so.
And speaking of regroove, anyone here ever regroove theirs?

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
mbloof wrote:
I also have M608Z's but am more worried about age then mileage. I only put a few 1000 miles on my truck a year so in 10yrs of life I'm guessing only 15-25,000 miles on the tires.

I'm going to lean to a more "highway tread" next time. While not "loud" the M608Z's make quite a bit more noise then the OEM tires they replaced.

- Mark0.

I had highway tread Toyos. Frankly they sucked. Poor traction, they grabbed and pulled whenever they encountered and ridge or slope on the roadway and they were slick in the rain. My Cooper Roadmasters blow that tire away.
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

mbloof
Explorer
Explorer
I also have M608Z's but am more worried about age then mileage. I only put a few 1000 miles on my truck a year so in 10yrs of life I'm guessing only 15-25,000 miles on the tires.

I'm going to lean to a more "highway tread" next time. While not "loud" the M608Z's make quite a bit more noise then the OEM tires they replaced.

- Mark0.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Passenger car tires have very thin sides, with single fabric layer.
19.5 commercial tires have like 1/2" sides with multi fabric in it.
They suppose to last 10 years, but depends on UV damage you should check them after 7 years.
Trailer tires have extra wax in them, to protect them for long periods from UV, but that's theory.

Bedlam
I hear 7-10 years based on weathering. My trucks are not garaged, so the tires are exposed their entire lives. I fully expect 70-80K out my current tires based on the current wear which would put life about twice as long as an LT tire.

My ST trailer tires are lasting only about 4 years and 25-30k miles - I am debating trying LT tires on my trailer next spring...

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam; what is the age out on a commercial 19.5" tire? Same as passenger cars?

S_Davis
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info everyone, I run loaded all the time and put about 20,000 miles a year so don't have the aging out problem. It sounds like so far getting 60,000 miles out of a set is doing ok.

Bedlam
My F250 had 30K miles on the 19.5's when I sold it and they still had healthy tread. OEM 17" Continentals used to last only 35K miles to the wear bars, but I could buy those cheap as dealer take offs. I sold my 18" Michelins with about 30K miles on them and they were probably past their halfway point when I switched over to the 19.5's.

My 5500 has over 45K miles on the 19.5's and they will age out before wearing out. Both trucks average 10k miles a year carrying the camper with few miles running empty.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
I had 19.5 Hancock on my flatbed and calculating what PO drove on them, they aged at over 90,000 miles.
Than I put cheap Sailug (?) and got honest 60 k out of them.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I don't put very many miles per year. I traded my SRW with about 43K on the 19.5s. They were getting ready to age out, but otherwise looked almost new. Those were Hankook DH01s. I have 45K on my current tires. The rears are doing fine with plenty of tread left. I did change the front. I think 60K is doable even though mine was loaded all of the time.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

S_Davis
Explorer
Explorer
I will probably get the Toyos again, I guess there are not many here with 19.5" tires.