cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2004 Duraburb

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Well it is a Durayukon, but that doesn’t sound the same.

Interesting vehicle on eBay. Not mine.

Click here
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010
23 REPLIES 23

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Buckeyeclan wrote:
Government cafe standards killed the 3/4 ton SUV. Cut off for a truck and van is 8500 lbs,SUV is 10000 GVRW. As of the fleet 3500 suburban, it’s only rated to tow 3000 lbs, less than have of a standard burb.

I understand, but the cafe standards don't preclude the construction of HD SUVs specifically, or even implicitly. Just that the gvw limit prevented the standard sub 10klb gvw SUVs from being exempt.
Now "3/4 ton" pickups suddenly have >10k gvw models and it wouldn't be a problem to cert a 1 ton SUV over 10klbs.
Yes it's a numbers game to stay within the cafe averages and presumably >10klb SUVs would take away from potential pickup truck production to stay within the mandated averages, but still doesn't make sense. The high profit margin of big luxury SUVs could be/is the same as big luxury pickups. A dollar is a dollar, but it affects the who sold the most trucks charts.

That is the confusing part. I don't understand why there isn't at least a market for 1 mfg to do this. And it should be whomever can **** out the most Eco cars to offset some big oil burning SUVs.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Light years ahead on the drivetrain is a bit of a stretch. Hence why the LBZ/Alli 1000 is still considered a viable and one of the better/best drivetrains to date.
Without getting into details, because if you know the changes, you know the details, from the LB7/Alli combo to the LML, they were the same basic combination and internals. Longest run of a largely unchanged combo of the big 3.

L5P and 10 speed is the biggest overall jump or departure from the now 20 year old combination.

Chassis, yes. From the GMT 800 to current 4th Gen there is basically nothing carried over.
And what do you think a new 4th gen loaded HD 6.6 Duramax Suburban would cost? Makes the older Duraburb not seem so bad (in general, the queer steer model that started the discussion is not as desire able).

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
For those thinking that this is too much, go buy a brand new diesel suburban and see how much you pay? In fact good luck finding a 2020! LOL
As long as that one is clean and rust free it's worth every penny to the right person!

Actually, you will be able to buy one this year - with the 3.0 Diesel.

And I don't get the comparison aside from that. A 2020 is light years ahead on technology than something built on a 16 year old platform.

Personally, I think this is an interesting vehicle. Would make a great boat puller for me, but not at that price. I'm sure someone will buy it though. There is seat for pretty much every butt.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

Buckeyeclan
Explorer
Explorer
Government cafe standards killed the 3/4 ton SUV. Cut off for a truck and van is 8500 lbs,SUV is 10000 GVRW. As of the fleet 3500 suburban, it’s only rated to tow 3000 lbs, less than have of a standard burb.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
For those thinking that this is too much, go buy a brand new diesel suburban and see how much you pay? In fact good luck finding a 2020! LOL
As long as that one is clean and rust free it's worth every penny to the right person!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Fleet vehicles usually end up at auctions.

Go here
Puma 30RKSS

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
I guess what sucks even more is the fact GM builds a 3500 burb but doesn't sell it to the public, Only fleet sales.

LanceRKeys
Explorer
Explorer
I’m sure the market research has been done and the manufactures know what will sell and what won’t. I agree it would be cool.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
With all the popularity of extra large vehicles, big trucks sell as well as any vehicle, and the popularity of diesels and suvs, I cannot even begin to understand why at least one mfg hasn’t slapped a suv body back on a 3/4 ton diesel chassis and sent it to market.
Probably the market is to small to make it worth while. I've still got my Diesel Excursion in very good condition but getting long in the tooth. Would think a 6.7 Diesel Excursion would be awesome. Heck GM even quit making the 3/4 with no market competition. The x was only built for 5 years.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
With all the popularity of extra large vehicles, big trucks sell as well as any vehicle, and the popularity of diesels and suvs, I cannot even begin to understand why at least one mfg hasn’t slapped a suv body back on a 3/4 ton diesel chassis and sent it to market.

Gator398
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, that's what I thought a few years ago when I bought a silver '12 savana 3/4t with the 6.0l. Our first trip with it to test it out to South Padre in Tx (I think 900 miles from us) the A/C started blowing warm at idle after the 4th day. Foreman of GM service I know was convinced overheating in tight engine area had trashed the compressor, which probably sent metal flakes through system causing blockage of lines. Anyone familiar with this knows everything has to be replaced because any leftover metal ruins new components. We replaced compressor and about a year/ 8k miles later it was blowing warm again. Sold it and bought a '17 QX80 that supposedly can pull 8500 but after lots of reading now I'm skeptical it will do it reliably. That 9pass explorer van though for 7 of us was an amazingly comfortable traveler, except that every trip something broke or stopped working. My friend mentioned above agrees it's a problem GM is furiously trying to evolve from.
2021 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BRDS
2011 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Longhorn 6.7L

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
If you have a smaller trailer It sounds like GM will have a 1500 series Diesel Burb.

Dadoffourgirls
Explorer
Explorer
Gator398 wrote:
This is why I joined tonight, anyone know what the future of viable passenger tow vehicles is for TT?

So far you can still get an Express or Savana that will haul a 9500lb trailer. And if you buy one that was used as a rental, you can get them for under $25,000 with less than 20k miles.

And yes, they do not have all the gadgets and comforts. But when not towing the TT, you can take your spouse and 4 other couples on brewery/winery/bourbon tours.
Dad of Four Girls
Wife
Employee of GM, all opinions are my own!
2017 Express Ext 3500 (Code named "BIGGER ED" by daughters)
2011 Jayco Jayflight G2 32BHDS

Gator398
Explorer
Explorer
This is why I joined tonight, anyone know what the future of viable passenger tow vehicles is for TT?
Why can't Ford just make the excursion again, or any 3/4 ton SUV built directly off the 3/4 ton truck frame (with proper grill for airflow over the massive cooling stacks required nowadays).

I agree Lwiddis, $35k for an old GM is ridiculous, sounds like a money pit to me. I think I have heard of a place in my area that will turn a F250/350 into passenger SUV by removing the bed and welding a rear shell with seats and all.. for about $50k, on top of whatever you paid for the truck.. so nothing I can afford lol.
2021 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BRDS
2011 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Longhorn 6.7L