cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2006 Bigfoot 25C9.4LB Camper Wet Weight Label - Even Close?

terrybk
Explorer
Explorer
We are looking at a 2006 Bigfoot 25C9.4LB camper. The label in the closet says it weighs 2335lbs wet (32 gals of water, two propane tanks, two batteries, etc.) then lists the weights for the options. This one has all options except the generation. I get a total wet weight of 2654lbs.

That seems low for wet weight. Has anyone else weighed their BF camper and compared it to the label? Yes, I know many say the label is a lie, but BF appears to have picked a specific number for the lie (if true!) Maybe the older BF campers were lighter?

I plan on calling BF in the morning and forcing them to confess but I wanted to see if anyone else had some hard numbers against the wet label.

Regards,

Terry
2005 Chevrolet 3500 SRW 4X4 LB/CC D/A
2006 Bigfoot 25C9.4LB
CEK0515 and a dog
56 REPLIES 56

terrybk
Explorer
Explorer
To close the thread, the Cat scale results are:

The 2006 25C94LB weighs 2994lbs without water and with empty grey and black tanks, one dump hose, two full propane tanks and a filled water heater (6 gals.) This also includes a solar PWM controller (no panels), cell phone booster, cabling and hardware, some small electronics (5lbs tops). Nothing else. No personal items. Squat, zero, zip, nada.

So about 630lbs over the labelled weight. Where that weight is remains a mystery to me. However, we will be under both front and rear axle and tire ratings when fully loaded. Good enough.

It's very stable driving with little leaning/roll. Surprisingly stable. I am not even on the overloads (1" off.) Air bags are currently empty. I do have a Hellwig rear bar. A big manly bar.

Thanks everyone for your input. I learned a lot!

Edit: I did figure out that the camper originally came with manual Happijacs. This one has the motors, controller and dually swing-out brackets. So that adds about 80lbs. Here and there, the weights does start to converge on the label weights.
2006 Bigfoot 25C9.4LB
CEK0515 and a dog

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Grit dog wrote:
Boy howdy….I really need to have the type of concerns in life that allow me enough time to not only actually care what my truck camper weighs, but to try and dissect why it weighs what it does…..
Almost like arguing about batteries….

Boy howdy... I really need to have the type of pocketbook that allows me enough liquid assets to just keep randomly trying combinations of truck and camper to find one that works.

Or, to just be so talented that I can tell that a camper isn't going to be too much for a truck just by how it smells.

You HAVE to do some figuring on paper to make sure you're not trying to put a Host Mammoth on an F150. I suppose you just buy the truck with the color you like and the camper with the jazziest graphics on the side, and hope they work together. If they don't just squeeze your buttcheeks tighter, and will it to work.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

terrybk
Explorer
Explorer
Ah ha!

At the bottom of one label in the closet is the "Factory Mass" of 2665.83lbs. Not sure how I missed that. It's typed not hand written.

And on the back just right of the door is a label saying the same thing.
2006 Bigfoot 25C9.4LB
CEK0515 and a dog

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
TxGearhead wrote:
StirCrazy wrote:
TxGearhead wrote:
I couldn't get my head in the closet of my 9.4 where the sticker is and focus through my bifocals, so I took a pic.
Here's what it says:
Camper weight is 2450 lbs. when it contains standard equipment.32 gallons of water 40lbs. 40lbs of bottled gas.6.0 cubic ft refrigerator.
Optional equipment: Box awning 44 lbs. Air conditioner 75 lbs. Dual propane tanks 20 lbs. Electric jacks 22.5 lbs. Generator ready 22 lbs. Jack brackets 22 lbs. Microwave oven 30 lbs. Oven 49 lb s. Thermal windows 45 lbs.
Leaving out the gen prep the total is 2757.5.

did it have a spot on the bottom of the sheet that had another weight and it was written by hand? I'm not sure when they started that, it might have been when they reopened which means yours is to old to have that. i'll see if i can get a picture of it and post it.

Steve

I don't recall seeing anything hand written.But I'll look again. I'm cleaning and packing for a trip.

ya and I cant say when they started doing that if it was after they shut down for the two years , before that or at just some randome year. we were looking at brand new ones and they has on the big sheet in the closet a line at the bottom of the sheet that had a hand written weight in the space that is there wet weight shipped from the factory so the ony other unaccounted weight would be dealer add ons (which thee shouldnt be any if you have seen how you have to order them, and what you put inside them.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

terrybk
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, got it! Back to urine conversion. I'll get started ... 🙂
2006 Bigfoot 25C9.4LB
CEK0515 and a dog

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
terrybk wrote:
TxGearhead wrote:
I couldn't get my head in the closet of my 9.4 where the sticker is and focus through my bifocals, so I took a pic.
Here's what it says:
Camper weight is 2450 lbs. when it contains standard equipment.32 gallons of water 40lbs. 40lbs of bottled gas.6.0 cubic ft refrigerator.
Optional equipment: Box awning 44 lbs. Air conditioner 75 lbs. Dual propane tanks 20 lbs. Electric jacks 22.5 lbs. Generator ready 22 lbs. Jack brackets 22 lbs. Microwave oven 30 lbs. Oven 49 lb s. Thermal windows 45 lbs.

Thanks TxGearhead, I appreciate you actually looking. We saw a third 9.4 online with very similar numbers. Once I pick it up I'll head to the cat scales.

So you are saying that the wet label shows 2757.5lbs and it really weights 4106lbs with zero changes and nothing added? The label was literally wrong by 1348.5 lbs? Off is one thing but that's wrong by a 1/3 or 50% heavier than the label.

TK

No I'm not saying that. The 4106 number was the payload of my 2016 RAM 3500 SRW. The camper weighed more than that when loaded heavy.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Boy howdy….I really need to have the type of concerns in life that allow me enough time to not only actually care what my truck camper weighs, but to try and dissect why it weighs what it does…..
Almost like arguing about batteries….

It's either this or go back out in the garage and do the retiree chemical experiment.
Turning alcohol into urine.
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
StirCrazy wrote:
TxGearhead wrote:
Here's what it says:

did it have a spot on the bottom of the sheet that had another weight and it was written by hand? I'm not sure when they started that, it might have been when they reopened which means yours is to old to have that. i'll see if i can get a picture of it and post it.

Steve

I don't recall seeing anything hand written.But I'll look again. I'm cleaning and packing for a trip.
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4

terrybk
Explorer
Explorer
Oh, I meant the closet label. I'll check the back on the outside.
2006 Bigfoot 25C9.4LB
CEK0515 and a dog

bigfootford
Nomad
Nomad
terrybk wrote:
I just checked the one we are buying and it doesn't have anything hand written.

Ummm my 2000 BF has a factory label on the outside with information and the wet weight.

Jim
2000 2500 9.6 Bigfoot,94 F250, Vision 19.5, Bilstein shocks, air bags/pump, EU2000, PD 9260, Two Redodo 100ah Mini's, Aims 2500 Conv/Inv, 200W. solar, Morningstar Sunsaver 15A/ display panel, Delorme/laptop for travel, Wave-3 heat.

terrybk
Explorer
Explorer
I just checked the one we are buying and it doesn't have anything hand written.
2006 Bigfoot 25C9.4LB
CEK0515 and a dog

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
TxGearhead wrote:
Here's what it says:

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

terrybk
Explorer
Explorer
Hi JimK,

I think that is part of the confusion. The manufacturer either estimates or weighs the camper as it will be right before shipping. That is their "wet weight." Then the dealer adds stuff and then the customer adds stuff.

Many of the weights being quoted are the "as being used by the customer weight" and given what people fess up to carrying in the camper, those weights will certainly be as much as 1000lbs.+ So a quote of 4200lbs without the details like "and that's with all of our stuff." doesn't clear it up.

What I am trying to find out is if anyone actually weighed the camper as received (and with any dealer installed options.) The fact the customer added 2000 lbs of tools and lifting weights just confuses things and they don't always say that.

BF is several emails were clear. That weight label should be close to how it was when it left their factory. But some people claim that is 1000lbs off.
2006 Bigfoot 25C9.4LB
CEK0515 and a dog

Atchafalaya_man
Explorer
Explorer
JimK-NY wrote:
You have to pay to get the RVIA standards, but I believe the RVIA specifies how weight information is provided. The labeling seems very similar from one manufacturer to another.

It seems there is no requirement to actually weigh the unit as built. Car and truck manufacturers don't do that either. Instead labels include the weight of a "standard" unit. Often the wet weight is also listed based on a full fresh water tank and full propane tanks, along with the standard batteries. Labels also include specs for the options included, but not the actual total.

Correct! The stickers all look alike because manufacturers are merely adhering to federal law requiring them, even down to the size, color, location and information required on each, etc. Anything beyond that becomes grey in factual truth.

For some 'light reading' SEARCH through the 'Federal Register' for RV rules on 'placards', weights, etc. It will drive you nuts trying to find a LOGICAL answer that RVers are seeking. There is none.

While the link below is about 'cargo weight' it's just an example of what you will find that will make your head spin.

https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2007/12/04/E7-22962/federal-motor-vehicle-safety-standards-cargo-carrying-capacity