cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2013 Ford F250, 6.7 Diesel, Suggestions to improve mileage.

tlerchba
Explorer
Explorer
Good day.
We own a 2013 Ford F250, 6.7 Diesel, and I am looking for suggestions on what I can do to improve our mileage. In general driving we are getting 11.8 MPG. I haven't pulled my rig with this truck yet so I am unsure what to expect once we do.
Your suggestions and experience would be much appreciated.
Regards,
Tim Lerchbacker
Tim & Leesa, 2013 Ford F250 6.7 Diesel, 2012 Keystone Avalanche.
30 REPLIES 30

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
DEF usage and regens are two different subjects. Def is consumed as needed at any time.

tlerchba
Explorer
Explorer
Update. I took it to a local Ford dealer who replaced the #3 EGT sensor. O'Riley auto parts said it was the #4 sensor, but . . . They also said it didn't need a Manual Regen which I find hard to believe because I don't believe it's done one for some time given I haven't had to add and blue-def for 3 or 4 months. They also did a chip software update which is supposed to help with the mileage. However, I drove it home, about 6 miles, didn't drive it for 3 days, and when I got in it this morning the engine light was back on. So, back to Ford I'll be going. I will ask them about MAF Sensor, thanks for the suggestion. The saga continues. Again I very much appreciate all the great feedback!!!
Tim

alexleblanc
Explorer
Explorer
you've certainly got an issue, i'm getting 10-12mpg towing and in the mid-high teens mixed unloaded driving. This has been the case since I got the truck two years ago this week. (60000 km's now)
TV - 2017 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7 + 5er - 2021 Grand Design Reflection 311 BHS + B&W Companion
On Order - 2022 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7

Bamaman11
Explorer
Explorer
You might want to sign into TheDieselStop.com and see what is being reported on the 6.7 engine. You may have a problem.

It seems like 18 mpg would be normal with 3/4 tons sometimes reporting 20 mpg.

I have the last of the 7.3's with a 80 hp econo tune, and I see about 20 mpg on the open road. I'm getting 11.5 mpg towing a 11K lb. fifth wheel.

Mtwoodson
Explorer
Explorer
I have to go along with the crowd. You have something out of whack. My 2013 F350 6.7 gets 17 around town, a little more on the road and 11 with a 16K trailer behind it. Good luck.
Mtwoodson
Save the whales..., collect the whole set

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
GoPackGo wrote:
One last thought - check your air cleaner. Is it the original ? A badly clogged air cleaner can cause really bad mpg.

To go one step further pull the MAF sensor on the intake while you are at it. At dirty MAF sensor can cause all kinds of issues including horrible mileage. Don't touch the sensor (wires) though. Use an aerosol MAF spray cleaner from an auto parts store.
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
One last thought - check your air cleaner. Is it the original ? A badly clogged air cleaner can cause really bad mpg.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
TXiceman wrote:
2012 F350 CC DRW 6.7L, 3.73 axle, towing 18,000# and we get 9 to 10 mpg at 63 mph. Unloaded on the highway at 65 mph, 15.5 to 16 MPG. mixed highway and city, we generally get 13 to 14 mpg at the lowest. Lowest fuel economy was a 20 to 25 mph head wind and we dropped to 7.6 mpg, but had no problem maintaining 63 mpg.

If the OP is getting 11.8 mpg unloaded, he either has an engine problem or a really heavy foot.

Ken

X2
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
2012 F350 CC DRW 6.7L, 3.73 axle, towing 18,000# and we get 9 to 10 mpg at 63 mph. Unloaded on the highway at 65 mph, 15.5 to 16 MPG. mixed highway and city, we generally get 13 to 14 mpg at the lowest. Lowest fuel economy was a 20 to 25 mph head wind and we dropped to 7.6 mpg, but had no problem maintaining 63 mpg.

If the OP is getting 11.8 mpg unloaded, he either has an engine problem or a really heavy foot.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

tlerchba
Explorer
Explorer
All

Thanks much for everyone's comments. This is my second diesel, first was with a 2001 Ford Excursion which I got 17/18 in the city and 20+ on the road. I am the second owner, I get about the same mileage in the city or on the road. Best I've gotten on the road was a little over 12. The overall pickup seem fine, has what I would call the usual turbo run-up slowness, other than that no real hesitation. I think I will take it to a dealer and see if it is stuck in regen mode. Any other suggestions would also be very much appreciated.
Tim

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can check your tire air pressure - make sure that the tires are not running soft.
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
“The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
My boss`s 2012 averages 14 on his 35 mile round trip which is mostly 45-50 mph. I`ve heard from many with the newer Ford diesels that the mileage stinks. that`s only slightly better than my 10 year older V-10 with 4.30`s that would get 12 on a similar commute!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
So what is the average regen interval like on the PStoke? I live in a DMAX world. And yeah I get all the things that can affect regen frequency.

FWIW my numbers. All stock on 305 ATs

City 12-13
Hwy(65-70mph) - 18
Towing 12k 5er TH (63-67mph) - 8.5-9

On the very low end of numbers I read/hear.
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
Something seems wrong.

Lots of questions -

Have you owned this truck since new ? What did it get originally ?

If not, is this town mileage or highway ? Or a mix ?

How does it run ? No stumbles ? Good acceleration ?

I have 2013 4x4 dually CC long bed and I can get 20 or better on the highway. I get 11-12 towing 14,000 pounds.

Drive the truck for a half hour and then put your hand along the sides of the exhaust pipe tips. Don't touch it !!!! If it seems REALLY hot then it's stuck in regen mode.