cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2013 Holiday Trip

Virgil_Diesel
Explorer
Explorer
We ended 2013 with a trip to Las Vegas from the Bay Area to visit our son who wasn't able to join our traditional family Christmas and see the grandkids one more time! We stopped during the middle of the trip to camp at Red Rock Canyon State Park (California) near Mojave. The weather usually chilly, was in the upper 60s and mid 30s in the morning. At night we felt small to the pitch black sky that showed case the beautiful constellation of stars along with the milky way. What a sight to see!

We enjoyed the solitude and bonfire during the evening.

We hiked the Hagen Canyon. "The entire area was at the bottom of a massive lake 10 million years ago. Time & pressure turned the layers of mud & sand into the huge rock beds." Amazing sight to see!

Can't wait to see Utah & Yellowstone!

Please, check out the pictures below!

Thanks for viewing,
Virgil & Maria
2006 Chevy Silverado HD2500/DA/CC/SB/Pullrite Superglide 16k
2009 Jayco Superlite 31.5FBHS
2006 Lance Lite 845
2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Rubicon 0337/1000
2013 18' Carson Flat bed 10k gvw trailer 16" 8 lug wheels
15 REPLIES 15

Gamagoat
Explorer
Explorer
bedrocker wrote:
Hey virgil is the dump station open yet
it's been down for a few yrs now
We ride there alot nice place ๐Ÿ™‚

Dump station still close. I will not dump there unless I need to. It's expensive. They charge $15.00
06 Silverado HD2500 DA/CC/SB/LT3
Line X/Timbren/Rancho 9000x/Bodiak Front Hitch/Reese Tow Beast Class V with 24" Stinger
06 Lance 845/Honda EU2000

bedrocker
Explorer
Explorer
Hey virgil is the dump station open yet
it's been down for a few yrs now
We ride there alot nice place ๐Ÿ™‚

sabconsulting
Explorer
Explorer
Hi guys,

Looks like you chose a drier location than we did for winter camping.

Love the picture of the two of you together.

Sally says Hi.

Steve.
'07 Ford Ranger XLT Supercab diesel + '91 Shadow Cruiser - Sky Cruiser 1
'98 Jeep TJ 4.0
'15 Ford Fiesta ST
'09 Fiat Panda 1.2

btggraphix
Explorer
Explorer
Virgil/Maria - great trip and the last photo made me smile remembering you guys from the Expo. Glad to hear you will both likely be there again this year; look forward to it. You were both a pleasure to be around.

Beautiful pictures. That campsite looks awesome looking out across the flats, but then, the picture of the other direction really makes you say "wow". Looks much like the Badlands in SD, or some of the other trips we've seen reports from out in the San Rafel Swell/Book Cliffs, and camping right up against them is really cool (except maybe in a downpour, yikes!) Terrific scenery and love those Joshua trees (assuming that is what they are) building their version of a "forest."

Thanks again!
2006 LanceMax 1191 - loaded and well-used
2005 C4500/Kodiak 4x4, GVWR 17,500

sleepy
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the pictures Virgil

I'd like to visit the area when it is cool... Janet and I stopped there during the summer... it was HOT... I think we were the only moving thing... at least that could be seen. We kept moving north and some high country.

Looking forward to more of your trip pictures.

Sleepy
2003 Lance 1161,/slideout/AGM batteries/255W Solar/propane generator/Sat dish/2 Fantastic Fans/AC/winter pkg
AirFoil, Trimetric, LED lights, Platcat vent heat

2003GMC K3500 LT/Crewcab/duramax diesel/allison/dually/4x4/OnStar/front reciever mounted spare

whazoo
Explorer
Explorer
Very nice Virgil, there's nothing like desert camping in the winter. If you'd just throw some more wood on that fire I'd sit down with you, it looks pretty chilly. Thanks for the pics Virgil...

spacedoutbob
Explorer
Explorer
I love Red Rock, I will usually stop by there when I visit my friends who live in California City. Thanks for posting the photos.

Bob in Calif.
Good Sam Club Life Member

cewillis
Explorer
Explorer
Nice pictures -- looks like you two know how to have fun. Go Niners! (former bay area resident for 35 years)
Cal

the_tc_life
Explorer
Explorer
nice, I like the rock formations. I believe I would stare at them for hours.
2010 adventurer 810ws
1999 c3500 dually 12' flatbed

THE TC LIFE

Oldtymeflyr
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, I needed that.

Rick

CAJW
Explorer
Explorer
My son and I, along with some buddies are planning a dirt bike trip to that area next month. Your pictures have me interested in going there sometime with the Mrs. and the camper to try out her new hiking boots. Thanks for posting the info and pics which show the sky doesn't get much bluer than in the desert!
2013 AF 996, 2013 Chevy 3500 CC,LWB,4X4, Duramax, DRW, 3.73 rear, Torklift Stableloads & Tie-downs,Fast Guns, Ride Rite Air Bags, Superhitch w/ 32" extension.Big Wigs, Front Timbrens, TST TPMS-507,CubbyCam, Trimetric. TM & SC 2030 150W + 100W suitcase

exhaustipated
Explorer
Explorer
Great photos and it sure looked like you and your wife were really enjoying yourselves out there. I'll have to put that place on my bucket list of things to see whenever I get out that way.
2009 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD 4WD LT1 Ext Cab Z71 Long Bed Vortec 6.0L V8 SFI gas.
2012 Travel Lite 960RX
Torklift frame mounted tie downs with FastGun turnbuckles and a Lock and Load maximum security cargo tray.
Timbren SES
Curt front mount hitch receiver

bka0721
Explorer
Explorer
So great to see you two!! Glad you were able to get away from the city and spend time in the desert and in one of my favorite locations for winter. Great pics and I see you enjoyed the famous winds too.

b
08 F550-4X4-CC-6.4L Dsl-206"WB GVWR17,950#
09 Lance 1191
1,560wSolar~10-6vGC2-1,160AmpH~Tri-Star-Two(2)60/MPPT~Xantrex 2000W
300wSolar~2-6vAGM-300AmpH~Tri-Star45/MPPT~Xantrex 1500W
16 BMW R1200GSW Adventure
16 KTM 500 EXC
06 Honda CRF450X
09 Haulmark Trlr

Desertboy
Explorer
Explorer
I envy you, Very nice pics man. I cant wait to see that place.
1969 AVION
3/4 12 VALVE

Freightliner/24' Flatbed 50,000 miles/ Titan 4000 receiver Hitch, no Mods needed.