cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2014 Ram 3500 Air Suspension

Nautique200
Explorer
Explorer
What are your thoughts about this new air suspension from Ram for the 1-Ton? I need a dually and I'm not sure I want to be one of the first to have the all new air suspension. It sounds nice but how well will it haul a 5,000 lbs camper vs. the standard leaf spring set up we have all had for years? Will it be stable? Will it be reliable?

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2013/06/2014-ram-25003500-hd-first-look.html

What happens if the compressor dies with the camper on?
2016 Ford F450

2015 Arctic Fox 1150
2009 Trails West Warm Blood Trailer
15 REPLIES 15

dadwolf2
Explorer
Explorer
egarant wrote:
According to ALLPAR, the air bag suspension on the 3500 will be supplemental, so it will have the springs AND the optional air bag suspension....

"Ram 3500 keeps the familiar Hotchkiss leaf spring system, with a supplemental air suspension on SRW and DRW trucks, to avoid giving up the trucksโ€™ best in class payload, gross weight rating, or towing capacity (Ram 3500 can tow up to 30,000 pounds and has up to a 7,320 pound payload, with a peak GCWR of 37,600 lb)."

What you said is true, but if you look at the picture of the air suspension, it looks like it provides 90% of the suspension and the leaf 10%. While I'm a big fan of a well done air suspension, for those of us who like to get into the backcountry, I would be a little concerned at least until I see a high degree of historical reliablity.
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD,4X4,NV5600
2014 Adventurer 86FB

egarant
Explorer III
Explorer III
According to ALLPAR, the air bag suspension on the 3500 will be supplemental, so it will have the springs AND the optional air bag suspension....

"Ram 3500 keeps the familiar Hotchkiss leaf spring system, with a supplemental air suspension on SRW and DRW trucks, to avoid giving up the trucksโ€™ best in class payload, gross weight rating, or towing capacity (Ram 3500 can tow up to 30,000 pounds and has up to a 7,320 pound payload, with a peak GCWR of 37,600 lb)."
2021 FORD F350 dually 4x4 with 4.30 gears, 013 Eagle Cap 950, 480 Watts Solar, 3K Victron Multiplus II, Victron smart DC-DC charger, Victron 100/30 solar controller, 250 amps of lithium batteries by LifeBlue

Nautique200
Explorer
Explorer
Hello All,
I ordered a 14 Ram 3500 DRW yesterday with the Aisin and 3.73 gears. The truck will have the leaf spring setup. I just was not willing to pay extra for a first year air suspension without having the opportunity to read some reviews or drive one.
2016 Ford F450

2015 Arctic Fox 1150

wintersun
Explorer
Explorer
The truck manufacturers are trying to make their trucks more car like in terms of amenities like heated leather seats and softening the suspension. Not at all unusual. The Chevy 1/2 ton pickups in the 1960's had rear coil springs and Ford did its odd split axle front end on its 4WD trucks and SUV's in the 80's. Ford and Ram are at a disadvantage in not having the IFS found on GM 2500/3500 trucks.

But from my reading Ram is not offering an air suspension such as is found on modern Land Rovers or the hydropneumatic suspension introduced in 1954 by by Citroen more than half a century ago. Ram is going to be offering an "air bag suspension" as an option which means adding air bags at the factory. If the price is less than the cost to buy them yourself and pay someone to install them then it makes sense for buyers who know they will want the airbags. It makes sense for people planning to tow 5th-wheel trailers more than for hauling around a camper.

sky_free
Explorer
Explorer
Google "air suspension failure" for examples of the fun people have had with these systems. I had a GMC Envoy Denali with the system and it failed at about 98K miles. Yes, they are repairable, but for reliability you can't beat steel springs. There is actually a conversion kit for the Envoy to convert it from air to steel. Never again for me, but it is just another one of MANY complicated things on new vehicles that will eventually fail so it's probably not a big deal for most people.
2017 Escape 17B, 2012 VW Touareg

boogie_4wheel
Explorer
Explorer
Personally, if I was in the market I'd be all over ordering me a new Ram with the air ride rear axle.

I've been toying with getting me a '14 MegaCab with the 6.4 and air. Too bad the wife beat me to spending the money and got herself a new Enclave.
2005 2500 Cummins/48RE/3.73, QCLB, 4wd, BigHorn, Edge Juice w/ CTS + Turbo Timer,Transgo Shift Kit ISSPro Oil and LP pressure gauges, GDP 20/2 filters, Custom Diesel Steering Box Brace
'10 Forest River Shockwave Toy Hauler 21'
Honda EU3000I Genny

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am ordering one when able to, hopefully in the next month or so. Air ride is as stable as any other suspension when not overloaded. As said above, it has been in the commercial trucking industry for decades.
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
I'll stick to leafs. If it can leak it will; and it will probably fail hours into the back country, the middle of a remote sw desert hwy, or in a major snow storm.
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

Traveler_II
Explorer
Explorer
Air suspension has been around a real long time. Semi truck with heavy load have used air suspension for years. Sure the compression might go out, but so can other things. I like the idea, I have a 2014 Ford on order and if I had known about this from my Ram dealer who only wanted to sell me what he had in stock I would have given serious consideration to a Ram.

There is a company in Canada that has made an after market air suspension systems to replace spring on pick-ups for several years and those Iโ€™ve talked to really like it, take a look.

http://www.autoflexsuspensions.com
2011 Cameo 34SB3
2014 Ford 350 King Ranch, Trailer Saver BD3 Air Hitch, Mor/Ryde pin box, IS Suspension, Disk Brakes
Nights Camped in 2012 - 142
Nights Camped in 2013 - 186
Nights Camped in 2014 - 185
Nights Camped in 2015 - 231
Nights Camped in 2016 - 162

CAJW
Explorer
Explorer
Nautique200 wrote:
Yes, the 1 ton is a 3500.

I just don't think you will be able to make this new suspension as stable as the current leaf spring setup. Stability is the reason I want a dually.

I believe you just answered your own question. Leaf springs, supplemented by air bags has been working effectively for years with TC. I don't believe you'll have as good as results without the leaf springs, but heck, what do I know. I learned the hard way (monetarily) that a first year models anything is often using the consumer to help the manufacturer work out the kinks. (Honda CVCC 1980 engines had a horrible off idle stumble, nuff said).
2013 AF 996, 2013 Chevy 3500 CC,LWB,4X4, Duramax, DRW, 3.73 rear, Torklift Stableloads & Tie-downs,Fast Guns, Ride Rite Air Bags, Superhitch w/ 32" extension.Big Wigs, Front Timbrens, TST TPMS-507,CubbyCam, Trimetric. TM & SC 2030 150W + 100W suitcase

Nautique200
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, the 1 ton is a 3500.

I just don't think you will be able to make this new suspension as stable as the current leaf spring setup. Stability is the reason I want a dually.
2016 Ford F450

2015 Arctic Fox 1150

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
kerry4951 wrote:
I always wait a year or two and than do my research from owner feedback. It might be a great improvement overall but I just don't want to be the "tester".
Certainly air ride is not a new invention, but sure is OEM on that truck.

I put Link air on my harsh-riding F450 in 2004. It helped 'somewhat' on the unloaded ride, but much more with the 14k 5er on back. It made towing almost tolerable!

Sorry.. this is TC.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

kerry4951
Explorer
Explorer
I decided years ago that I will not be the guinea pig for anything new and just out. I always wait a year or two and than do my research from owner feedback. It might be a great improvement overall but I just don't want to be the "tester".
2009 Silverado 3500 dually D/A, Supersprings, Stable Loads, Bilsteins, Hellwig Sway Bar.
2010 Arctic Fox 1140 DB, 220 watts solar, custom 4 in 1 "U" shaped dinette/couch, baseboard and Cat 3 heat, 2nd dinette TV, cabover headboard storage, 67 TC mods

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Nautique200 wrote:
What happens if the compressor dies with the camper on?
Well, that could be a problem - depending on how long the bags can hold pressure sans leakage. I've had aftermarket air ride on my F450 for years with no compressor problems, but there are small leaks.

You can look at it as a somewhat smoother ride or just something else to break.

BTW, what is a "1 ton"? Is that the 3500?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman