2015 Summer Journey, Alaska Crossing,part 9

c_traveler2
Nomad
Nomad
2015 Summer Journey
Fairbanks and Chena Hot Springs
Alaska Crossing part 9

June 29, 2015...Mondayโ€ฆDay 3

The Alaskan morning came none too soon since we forgot to put up the blackout panels on the camper windows, that what happens when one eats till you have to be rolled on out of the place!
This day would be spend tracking down a new cable for the winch, remember I broke it in Canada near the Salmon Glacier outside of Hyder, Alaska.
With some luck we located a cable company that could help us and finding a new, stouter fair-lead was done as well. We ended up at the Alaska Rubber and Rigging Co., they carry cable up to 1-1/2 inches in dia. in stock.

While I was busy outside tearing off the old damaged parts, they made me a new and much stronger cable including a new hook.

90 feet of new cable, hook included (165 dollars) and a new fair-lead (100 dollars), all set to go!

Julie said we needed to restock on some items and to get my โ€œSmartphoneโ€ working again; it hasnโ€™t worked since entering
Canada and served only as a paperweight. Thankfully, my wifeโ€™s old flip phone worked fine. Off to the Verizon store, they fixed it (somewhat) and a stop at the local Fred Myers Market for restocking of supplies. While there we found out about their 10 cents off per gallon per 100 bucks you spend with them with the customer serve card, that helped in reducing our fuel cost.

The day was pretty well shot time we got done with everything and we spent one more night at Pioneer Park.

June 30- July01, 2016
Next day brought about getting to know some of our fellow RVers, we found out where a good laundry facility was at and an eatery call โ€œThe Loose Mooseโ€ on Airport Way were we could get Caribou sandwiches.

Laundry done, we travel through town to the Sourdough Fuel on Airport Way, filled up with diesel (11.4 mpg), dump the waste tanks and filled the propane tank up.

We ate at The Loose Moose a couple of time while in town, we had Caribou patty sandwiches with some very good sweat potatoes fries and they were good!

Extra Caribou patties were bought; this would be a delighted addition to our food stock. As a note the internet was pretty good here. From here we headed out of Fairbanks to Chena Hot Springs, we kind of made a circle of the town and ended up on the A3 going towards Johnsen Expressway.

There were a lot of RVs in the Wal-Mart parking lot as we cruised on Johnsen Expressway.

Steese Expressway/ A2 would take us to Chena Hot Spring Road and to our next designation of Chena Hot Spring.

Chena Hot Springs Rd. was a fairly straight shot with some rolling hills, a very easy drive. Plenty of camping and fishing areas appeared along this route.

Not too far after passing over the North Fork Chena River some vehicles were pulled over on the narrow should, a moose was spotted. This would be our first one inside Alaska; I had to park somewhat further up and walk back to see this moose.

I had a hard time getting a good photo of her; she was buried within the trees and shrubs but managed to get a couple of somewhat photos.
Our motoring for the day came at than end at the end of the road, none other than at Chena Hot Springs. An overhead wooden sign greets all visitors coming and going.

Parking our rig and we headed for the office to secure a site for tonight. It was lightly raining as we made our way to the office passing a unique flower planter container.

After paying for our site (2 night/$40) and signing up for the Ice Museum (fee) along with the general facility tour (free) we wander around for a bit just to see the place.

By the time, we got back to our rig it was raining at a pretty good clip. Finding our site wasnโ€™t too bad; there is a lot of privacy between sites with the trees and shrubs surrounding everything, but all you got for the 20bucks was just a spot.

It was close to 08:00 pm, time for dinner and getting some sleep. Mother Nature rained all night, so we when to sleep in our cave with the sound of calypso drums laughing us away.

July 02, 2015/ Thursday...Chena Hot Springs

The morning greeted us with low slung clouds hanging just off the local hills. Thereโ€™s a chill in the air making us bind our jackets tighter around us as we walked to the meeting area for the start of todayโ€™s tour.

It wasnโ€™t a long walk and we were there at the office building in no time. When we signed up for the two tours yesterday, we noticed that the only other language spoken here besides English was Japanese. I would later find out this was due to Chena Hot Springs having Japanese partners.

Everybody ended up meeting our tour guide (both tours) outside, where he explained a few doโ€™s and donโ€™ts of the tour along with the vision of the owners of Chena Hot Springs.

The first tour is seeing the Aurora Ice Museum, so we all made like sheep and followed our guide towards a pale blue pointed structure. Once there more history of the museum was explained.

Extra jackets were inside for those not equip with heavy enough jackets, it was crowded inside the staging area.

Watch video for inside tour.click on photo

youtbe link:Chena Ice Museum

Our host didnโ€™t rush anyone; we had plenty of time to wander around the ice museum. Our host was tending the bar; apple-tini was the house special.

The ice museum tour was fantastic and the general tour of Chena Hot would begin shortly. Upon exiting the museum I didnโ€™t think about than effect that would happen to my camera lens, they fogged up, it was warmer outside relatively speaking, none the less I warmed them back up in time for the general tour.

While heading over to their power plant and couple of critters were spotted, a chipmunk and a young moose thatโ€™s wanders into the grounds.

Once inside their power station I was able to see what I had read about. Chena Hot Springs uses low temperature geothermal water to generate electrical power by using modified UTI centrifugal
chillers units; they are able to generate 60% of their electrical needs.

The rest of the tour was showing our group around the grounds, what they grow here in their green houses and of course the hot springs itself where visitor soak their weary bodies in, itโ€™s a large pool.

There are a lot of flowers around and being guard by a giant dragon.

Julie and I decide to spend the rest of the day soaking in that very inviting hot springs, so off we went to get our swim wear. One more night would be spent here before going back to Fairbanks.

Thanks to everyone for reading my TCTRs, all comments are welcome and if you have any questions ask them here or PM me.
Link to pervious Alaska Crossing, part 8

Working on part 10 of our Summer Journey, Alaska Crossing, I will post it as soon as itโ€™s done.
Thanks, c.traveler2 (Alex Blasingame).
2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/ 2020 Bunduvry

Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel (sold)
2020 Bunduvry by BundutecUSA

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports 3.0
travelingman21000 YouTube Videos
Alex and Julie's Travels Blog
9 REPLIES 9

c_traveler2
Nomad
Nomad
Ramp Digger, thank you for following along.

allygerry, Sounds like its time for a return expedition and the hot spring was great!

billyray50, thank you for the kind comment.

Eugarps, that squirrel was fearless.thanks for reading my TCTR.

whazoo, good to hear from you, we're planing on going back in 2018. Hoping to put together a few people to come along, you did say you wanted to see a moose, we saw a lot of mooses.

Clarryhill,those caribou sandwiches were delicious, thanks for following along.

Nemo667, I hope my TCTR helps you on planing your trip, if you have any questions in this regards PM me. Thanks for reading my TCTR.

jefe 4x4, good to hear from you my friend, if you ever decide to try the WRT again I'd be more than happy to came along, I did learn a lot from you during that 2010 adventure.

I would like some feed back on the slide show video I'd embedded in this TCTR.

My wife and I are really planning on going back to Aslaska in 2018 and would like to put together a few folks to travel along with us even if you can only do some of the trip.

Thanks again for following my 2015 Summer Journey

Regards, c.traveler2
2007 F-250 4x4 /6.0 PSD/ext cab/ 2020 Bunduvry

Lance 815/ 85 watts solar panel (sold)
2020 Bunduvry by BundutecUSA

Travelingman2 Photo Website
Truck Camper Trip Reports 3.0
travelingman21000 YouTube Videos
Alex and Julie's Travels Blog

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
Alex, you always supply a unique view of your surroundings while touring. No one else has your eye, or the amount of pix you actually take.
Thanks again for the ride.
jefe
last camp before dropping down to the White Rim Trail in 2010:
'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

Nemo667
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the report and pictures Alex. We are headed that way this summer and looking forward to it.
2007 F-350 SRW 6.0L CC SB 4X4
2006 Outfitter Apex 8, 220W Solar and 3 AGM's
2013 Jeep Rubicon

Clarryhill
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Alex, once again, thanks so much for bringing us along on an absolutely epic journey. Can't wait for the next chapter. You got my mouth watering talking about the caribou patty sandwiches.
2014 Ford F450 PSD
2017 Lance 1172

whazoo
Explorer
Explorer
What an epic trip, fantastic! Looks like there was a mooseical playing in town. I'd love to see a live moose sometime. Thanks Alex, see you again with the next chapter.

Eugarps
Explorer
Explorer
c.traveler2,

Thansk for taking me along! The squirrel outside the ice chapel even looked chilly! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Bill
1978 27' Southwind MH - Gone
1982 19' Terry Taurus TT - Gone
1990 24' Prowler TT - Gone
TC - Still in the Hunt

billyray50
Explorer
Explorer
Nice trip report. Thanks for sharing.

Ramp_Digger
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks very much.Really enjoy all your trip reports, looking forward to number 10.
05 dodge 3500 cummins diesel, 8.5 alaskan on flatbed

allygerry
Explorer
Explorer
We were there in 2007 and enjoyed it very much. Nothing like soaking in the hot spring pool while it's raining on you. Nice trip report. allygerry