cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2016 RAM 3500 Homelink Issues

vonzoog
Explorer
Explorer
Last month I traded 04 RAM 2500 for a brand new (last one on the lot) 2016 RAM 3500 Laramie DRW. I am ready to tear the Homelink unit out and chuck it as far as I can.

I have an attached garage and external shop building with garage doors. My two cars also have a Homelink system and I have a remote control that clips to the sun visor. They work fine from great distance away, like from the road. My driveway is 180' long to the shop. No matter how and how many times I program the RAM it may work or it may not (which is easily 95% of the time). If it does work I have to drive so close to the door that the parking sensors start beeping.

Dealer is listening to me but are saying they have no way of testing the unit and are not sure they can replace the unit without a way to justify replacement. I told them I would buy the beer and could sit with me in my driveway and cuss at it with me. Surprisingly they did not take me up on this.

Am I the only one having this problem? I have read that some GM owners were having this problem with some Duramax. I love this truck, but for the price these trucks costs, I expect everything should work. Any thoughts or suggestions, other than fighting the dealership. I am already doing that. Am l and the dealership missing something here?
If you have to ask why I drive a Diesel, then you will never understand.

2016 Ram 3500 DRW
Cummins(370/800) 68RE Auto 3.73 Rear
2018 Momentum 376TH
20 REPLIES 20

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
I checked mine and the Home Link will open my garage door from about 300 yards from the house. The wife's 300 will do the same as my truck. Hopefully resetting it works, if not it most likely will be an antenna issue.

Don
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB 4X4 Ecodiesel GDE Tune.

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
I've not had any issues with the garage door opener or my key fob other than I have to be line of site for engine to start on my 15 Ram, doesn't seem to matter on distance though I'm sure there is a limit. maybe they've changed something on the 16s.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

vonzoog
Explorer
Explorer
UPDATE: To answer some questions. Yes I am talking about the Homelink brand in my RAM, Audi and Honda. The sun visor remote is a Liftmaster 3-button remote. Everything works perfectly except the RAM. I am 120 feet from the road to my attached garage and 180 feet to my shop building. All will work (with the exception of the RAM) from the road.

After several more discussions with the dealer they want me to "clear" the remote in the RAM and not relearn any codes. They want me to recycle the system by driving (starting and stopping) several times in the hope this completely clear and reset the Homelink unit. Much like rebooting a computer and many other electronics that we now have to learn to live with. This is what I have been doing and will continue doing until Monday. Then I am going to go step-by-step "learning" the RAM Homelink again.

Keeping my finger crossed (I still have my doubts) and will update on how that works out and we go from there.

2016 Ram 3500 DRW
2018 Momentum 376TH

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
vonzoog wrote:
I have tried Homelink.com. They have great video for programming, but no troubleshooting or tech support.

My question is how can so many Rams work perfectly and mine does not. Seems to me the unit should be replaced. I have not been able to convince the dealership of that possibility at this time. Although they are working with me on this, it just may take some more time.

Call your dealer and tell them you would like to open a STAR case on this issue. If the dealer balks call Ram Customer care and start a case yourself. The dealer should at least remove and inspect the unit to verify the antenna is connected correctly and not damaged! Their statement "they have no way of testing the unit and are not sure they can replace the unit without a way to justify replacement" is total BS.

Don
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB 4X4 Ecodiesel GDE Tune.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ours worked fine for a year. However we sold the home! Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

ktosv
Explorer
Explorer
Where is your Homelink at? Sun visor? Overhead console? It is a Homelink unit and not a Car2you unit?

What two vehicles do you have that work? How old are they? If they are Chrysler, you already have two vehicles that work, your dealer just needs to replace the component it is in. They then send it back to Gentex and let them worry about testing it.
Kevin and my...
Wife and six kids
2017 Suburban (5.3L/6A/3.08)
6x12 Enclosed Utility

Sold...2011 Express 3500 (6.0L/6A/3.42)
Sold...2010 Passport Ultra Lite 2910

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Please remember homelink is a stand alone product that vehicle mfgs buy and install. It is always possible that during installation something happened causing your problem. Its also quite possible thst there is a problem with the homelink module. I think I would start at homelink.com and see if you get any help.

vonzoog
Explorer
Explorer
boshog wrote:

Dealer has checked both trucks and tells me they work as designed. I've been using the little FOB door controller that came with the door openers with out problems.

I believe that this may be my only solution. However, something rubs me wrong when you pay this kind of money and things work this poorly.

2016 Ram 3500 DRW
2018 Momentum 376TH

boshog
Explorer
Explorer
vonzoog wrote:
I have tried Homelink.com. They have great video for programming, but no troubleshooting or tech support.

My question is how can so many Rams work perfectly and mine does not. Seems to me the unit should be replaced. I have not been able to convince the dealership of that possibility at this time. Although they are working with me on this, it just may take some more time.

Nope, you are not the only one having issues. I have two RAMs, a 2013 Laramie 1500 and a 2015 RAM Longhorn 3500 CTD. Both have Homelink and neither one works reliably. I had a 2003 Tahoe Z71 with Homelink and it ran both door openers flawlessly but for some reason the Homelink in the RAM won't, both openers are Genie brand.

Dealer has checked both trucks and tells me they work as designed. I've been using the little FOB door controller that came with the door openers with out problems.

billyray50
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats on New truck. I confess I have not tried Homelink yet since I bought my Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Longhorn. Just been using attachable garage unit that came with our new home. Will try programming it and update. Good luck.

vonzoog
Explorer
Explorer
^^^^^Thanks, good info.

2016 Ram 3500 DRW
2018 Momentum 376TH

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Have you taken the Customer Satisfaction Survey yet? If not, your in luck. Tell the salesman or whoever your dealing with that you'll be happy to give them a high score on this survey if they solve your problem to your satisfaction. They should jump through hoops to make you happy.

In car dealerships, it's common to hear a salesperson ask or even beg for a customer who has just bought a car to give him top marks in the customer satisfaction survey that will soon arrive. Here's why: The salesperson's pay, and potentially, the job itself, may very well depend on getting perfect 10s in this survey.

Customer Satisfaction Index (CSI) scores are an important part of everyday life at a dealership, and for good reason. Automakers want to hear from customers in order to gauge how well the franchise is doing in key areas, primarily the customer's satisfaction with the sale process. On the dealership level, these scores often determine future inventory. The better the score, the more likely a dealership is to get in-demand vehicles. Depending on the manufacturer, CSI scores also can affect the end-of-year bonuses it pays to the dealership.

Use this to your advantage. Good luck.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

dpatt67
Explorer
Explorer
After many years of having a Homelink system, Ive noticed there are certain openers it just doesn't like synching up with. One of my shop garage door openers I have tried a million times to pair up with 3 different trucks(all Rams)and no go. It might be your truck and door opener just don't like each other. Good luck
2015 Ram 3500 Laramie 4x4
2014 Cross Roads Zinger 31sb

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
Mine can be a bit hit and miss at times too. I back my truck in so that may have something to do with it depending on where the antenna is. It seems to go in stages where it works fine for quite some period of time and then not so good for a period of time. When it hasn't been working I have looked at the DIC and it indicates that it is transmitting. :h

My wife's Acura MDX works the vast majority of the time but sometimes it doesn't either. We have keychain remotes that are programmed for our garage door and alarm system so it isn't a huge deal when they don't work, just an annoyance.

So I don't think issues with these is uncommon but it seems ours work most of the time. Please let us know how you make out.
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes