cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2017 F350 dually with 6.7 opinions

mbrower
Explorer
Explorer
In the market for a new truck and I'm not brand loyal. I'm curious about the Ford and how it compares in reliability and fuel mileage with the other trucks. Right now I'm torn between Ram and Ford.

Thanks!
2001 Chevy 3500 Big Dooley 8.1L (496 Cubes)Allison 5sp 4:10
2008 KZ Montego Bay 37RLB-4
59 REPLIES 59

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
4x4ord wrote:
transamz9 wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
otrfun wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
. . . Just lift the hood on both trucks, that should help with the decision . . .
Agree, for those that may have plans to do any DIY maintenance, lifting the hoods on both trucks is a dramatic study in contrast.

Speaking of maintenance you forgot about the impossible location of the oil filter on the ram. The Ford on the other hand is right next to the oil pan like it should be.

ram oil filter mess

Ford Oil filter

Give me a break! Sure it's not as easy as the previous models but NO way is it hard at all! Certainly not as hard as cab removal!

I had a thread on TDR "EASY 2013 up oil change". How about posting a link for me of my thread???

I would never recommend removing the intake to the turbo to access the oil filter. Bad idea

I don't see where the problem is. I've probably had the turbo tubes off my Ford 6.0 more times than the oil filter has been changed and haven't had a turbo issue yet.

A bad idea is to design an engine that has to have the cab removed to do much to it. That's what you call opening a can of worms right there.

I think designing a truck that requires lifting the cab to do major work to the engine is a good idea so long as easy lifting of the cab is designed into the truck. There really is no reason why a truck couldn't be designed such that lifting the cab is less than a 20 minute job. With the cab out of the way any engine would be very accessible for major work..

As long as you don't have to break systems like the A/C and brakes loose to do it. If this is needed then they need to design them like real trucks where the dog house tilts forward.
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
Because I don't know, where have they placed the fuel/water separator on the 6.7 Powers trove? I know it was a PIA and messy on the 6.0 trucks.
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Sure makes filter R&R nice and easy. No mess this way.

Intake removal sure would not make dirt jump sideways into the turbo inlet.

I'm so glad I don't have to deal with such **** to perform what should be a simple oil change. Again too much drama.

Since I have the "Dreaded" oil filter location "I" think I am qualified to state that it's a very easy removal of the air intake and a NO mess oil change.

But I guess if a easier oil filter removal and better mirrors are the reason to buy a certain brand truck I would say you have a winner!!!

You Ram Mafia guys are sure keeping quiet about the emissions issues with 2013-15 Ram Cummins. Oh! thats right you haven't HAD a problem YET.

Since I do have the dreaded oil filter location, I have to laugh at the Ram Mafia group, please why try to minimize the filter its a PITA. Granted you don'y know any better, but taking parts off to get to a scheduled maintenance item is ridiculous at best.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
FishOnOne wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

I'm so glad I don't have to deal with such **** to perform what should be a simple oil change. Again too much drama.

Since I have the "Dreaded" oil filter location "I" think I am qualified to state that it's a very easy removal of the air intake and a NO mess oil change.

But I guess if a easier oil filter removal and better mirrors are the reason to buy a certain brand truck I would say you have a winner!!!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

1jeep
Explorer
Explorer
Im not a dodge/ram fan but really if the worse part of the truck is the oil filter location it wouldn't deter me from buying one.
2016 Ford F350 crew cab dually 6.7 platinum with heavy tow and 4:30 gears
2015 Carbon 327 with a BMW k1600 and Canam 1k inside

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
FishOnOne wrote:
Me Again wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:

I would never recommend removing the intake to the turbo to access the oil filter. Bad idea

I did for 14 years on my 2001.5 RAM and am doing it on my 2015 RAM. Gives clear access from the top to change the filter. Lot easier that changing the filter on my two Cummins B150's in the boat for 19 years via the braille method.

I suspect your probably meticulous about cleanliness, but just to recommend it to most people who's engine got a layer of dirt and grime is not a good idea.

Did I recommend it? I just stated what I have done for years. Can not remember how I did it on the 93 RAM for 7 years starting in 94.

Your recommendation to not do it is what comes into debate. Did you screw up your 2006 doing it? Is that the experience that you have on the issue, and the reason you do not recommend it????

FWIW, I have always keep my engines clean.

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Me Again wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:

I did for 14 years on my 2001.5 RAM and am doing it on my 2015 RAM. Gives clear access from the top to change the filter. Lot easier that changing the filter on my two Cummins B150's in the boat for 19 years via the braille method.

I suspect your probably meticulous about cleanliness, but just to recommend it to most people who's engine got a layer of dirt and grime is not a good idea.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
transamz9 wrote:

I always thought it was funny how a truck could be crowned the truck of the year before the year even starts. LOL You would think that now would be when they are crowning the best truck of the year for 2016.

That's like saying "transamz9's NCAA basketball team of the year is... The Kentucky Wildcats" I mean we did beat a team last week by almost 100 points.

Yes, kinda like 8 years ago when the president was awarded the Nobel Peace prize and had yet to do anything.

These awards are all foolish nonsense anyways. Its a marketing tool designed for the dumbest amongst us who need some type of validation.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
transamz9 wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
otrfun wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
. . . Just lift the hood on both trucks, that should help with the decision . . .
Agree, for those that may have plans to do any DIY maintenance, lifting the hoods on both trucks is a dramatic study in contrast.

Speaking of maintenance you forgot about the impossible location of the oil filter on the ram. The Ford on the other hand is right next to the oil pan like it should be.

ram oil filter mess

Ford Oil filter

Give me a break! Sure it's not as easy as the previous models but NO way is it hard at all! Certainly not as hard as cab removal!

I had a thread on TDR "EASY 2013 up oil change". How about posting a link for me of my thread???

I don't see where the problem is. I've probably had the turbo tubes off my Ford 6.0 more times than the oil filter has been changed and haven't had a turbo issue yet.

A bad idea is to design an engine that has to have the cab removed to do much to it. That's what you call opening a can of worms right there.

I think designing a truck that requires lifting the cab to do major work to the engine is a good idea so long as easy lifting of the cab is designed into the truck. There really is no reason why a truck couldn't be designed such that lifting the cab is less than a 20 minute job. With the cab out of the way any engine would be very accessible for major work..
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
FishOnOne wrote:

2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
otrfun wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

ram oil filter mess

Ford Oil filter

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
larry barnhart wrote:
Looks like the 2017 f-350 is the truck of the year if that means much.

chevman

I always thought it was funny how a truck could be crowned the truck of the year before the year even starts. LOL You would think that now would be when they are crowning the best truck of the year for 2016.

That's like saying "transamz9's NCAA basketball team of the year is... The Kentucky Wildcats" I mean we did beat a team last week by almost 100 points.