cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2017 Ram 2500- Airbag Question

kirkl
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2017 ram 2500 with coil springs and im going to put airbags on it. Les schwab said they have air bags that go right in the middle of the coil spring and I have also seen pictures of air bags installed between the tire and coil spring. Is there an advantage to either one? Les schwab quoted me $498 installed for inside of spring but havent price check outside of springs.
2017 Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins 4x4 LB
2018 Wildcat Maxx 28RKX
2014 Adventurer 80RB
23 REPLIES 23

kirkl
Explorer
Explorer
LIKE2BUILD wrote:
kirkl wrote:
Ordered them off amazon for 314 and will install my self.

What did you order? Hopefully not the bags that go inside the coils.

The best option is to install bags that replace the bump stops. I installed Timbrens like IdaD and they have worked extremely well. plus they give you an additional support location between the axle and frame for increased stability.

I ordered the right ones for outside of coil.
2018 Wildcat Maxx 28RKX
2014 Adventurer 80RB

LIKE2BUILD
Explorer
Explorer
kirkl wrote:

What did you order? Hopefully not the bags that go inside the coils.

The best option is to install bags that replace the bump stops. I installed Timbrens like IdaD and they have worked extremely well. plus they give you an additional support location between the axle and frame for increased stability.
'14 Ram 2500|Crew Cab Long Bed|4X4|Cummins
Curt Q20 with Ram 5th Wheel Prep
2000 Crownline 205BR
1997 Ranger Comanche 461VS
'01 Polaris Virage TX PWC
'94 Polaris SLT750 PWC
3 Wonderful Sons (21, 15, & 13)
1 forgiving wife!!!

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
wanderingbob wrote:
I have the Firestone bags on my Ram 2500 , no complaints . What is the advantage of inside the coils ?

The obvious advantages are easy install, the space is already reserved for the springs so minimal interference with anything else, less weight since existing brackets are used and the bags are fairly well protected in that location.

Bedlam
I've been dealing with the same Les Schwab shop since 1992. Not all of them are as qualified as others, but this one has always gone out of their way to help me. There are cheaper alternatives, but I don't want to pay twice to get things done.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"I haven't seen a tire dealer NOT use a torque wrench in probably 10 years."

YEP they sure do use a torque wrench! Watch em they run the lugs up with a torque stick. Then they go around once with a click at each lug not rotating the handle one bit other than to get a click. No second circular torque. YEP they sure do have good customer service!!!

Let's not forget the HIGH quality of their parts they use. Less then 30k the front caliper piston is frozen and won't retract causing metal to metal on one side and the other pads still had 1/4" pad left. This is on the 01 Sport I bought last Summer.

See anything wrong with the pic below? 98 RAM 2wd, receipt in glove box showing LS did the "WORK".

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
Why not just install Timbrens?

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah they can. Your average motorist these days knows less that nothing about cars or which end of a screwdriver fits the bolt. They don’t know any better.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
TurnThePage wrote:
I can't even begin to wonder why you would compare a tire store air bag price to an online price. I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but even I know better than that.

Les Schwab here is AWESOME. I can relate at least a half dozen experiences where they saved my bacon, usually with no charge, even when the products they serviced weren't purchased there. Fast, prompt service with a smile every time. Yeah, they're proud of their products, no doubt. Well worth it in my opinion.

I haven't seen a tire dealer NOT use a torque wrench in probably 10 years.

And I'm not affiliated in any way with anybody involved with a Les Schwab.

The advantage of inside the coil bags are they are cheaper and easier to install. The disadvantage is they support less weight and are more fragile.

X2 to everything here... my experience and thoughts exactly.

Love the 5000# Firestone bags on my 2500 (outside the coil spring). Inside coil bags serve a purpose but realize they are just a much smaller "tool" for a given job.

I run a small fleet of vehicles (five) through Les Schwab and they are overall great. I've probably had 50 points of contact in the last few years and 45 of them have been great. Sure, there are a couple minor things that aren't perfect but that's just life. When you see a thriving company like LS the fact (yes, FACT) is they are doing the vast majority of things right. Sure, people have anecdotal experiences to the contrary but they couldn't stay in business screwing everyone everyday.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
kirkl wrote:

Be sure to have a separate air fill for each side, and have a good landing pad if you loose a bag in a corner.
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
I can't even begin to wonder why you would compare a tire store air bag price to an online price. I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but even I know better than that.

Les Schwab here is AWESOME. I can relate at least a half dozen experiences where they saved my bacon, usually with no charge, even when the products they serviced weren't purchased there. Fast, prompt service with a smile every time. Yeah, they're proud of their products, no doubt. Well worth it in my opinion.

I haven't seen a tire dealer NOT use a torque wrench in probably 10 years.

And I'm not affiliated in any way with anybody involved with a Les Schwab.

The advantage of inside the coil bags are they are cheaper and easier to install. The disadvantage is they support less weight and are more fragile.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have the Firestone bags on my Ram 2500 , no complaints . What is the advantage of inside the coils ?

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
Helped a buddy install bags in the coils on his 1500 Ram. Pretty easy install and they’ve worked as advertised for a fraction of the cost of standard bags.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
kirkl wrote:

Good call!!!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

kirkl
Explorer
Explorer
2018 Wildcat Maxx 28RKX
2014 Adventurer 80RB