cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2018 F-150 hype....believe it or not?

AllenTC2
Explorer
Explorer
So while looking into travel trailers, I’m also looking into the trucks to pull it. I’m applying the same rule of weights that I was applying to truck campers when I was looking into them; whatever the listed dry weight, add 2,000#. The truck must exceed that.

Enter the 2018 F-150. Equipped with 20” wheels, the 3.5l V6 EcoBoost, and the “Max Tow” package, it is said to have a maximum tow capacity of 12,200 pounds. Which puts my adjusted trailer weight at 75% (~9K#).

So what am I missing? Seems to be a no brainer but I was looking at F-350/450 for a ~6/7K# truck camper. I know towing and hauling are a bit different, but I’m surprised a relatively modest truck could tow 9K#.
198 REPLIES 198

K_and_I
Explorer
Explorer
AllenTC2 wrote:
mountainkowboy wrote:
rbpru wrote:
Wow 19 pages. Okay next we get to discuss "How many Angles can dance on the head of a pin". 🙂

push pin, straight pin, hat pin???

Obtuse angle? Acute angle? Right angle? :B

How about a cute obtuse right angle (I think I just described myself,
except for the cute part)
K_and_I
2011 Rockwood 2604
Nights Camped in 2019: 85
Do we have time for shortcuts?

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
kcfissel wrote:
I think I've decided on the F250.
The rest, from now on, is up to management to approve. 😉

you will love the f250, i have a 2000 f150 5.4 gasser 4x4 that i still drive daily. i pulled our 33ft 7300lb loaded for camping with it for the first 4 months we had it. pulled it fine but upgraded to 2017 f250 2 months ago. 6.2 gasser. world of difference. the engine is a beast, and tows the TT like its a utility trailer. having 28 years experience with a company using ford e350 gas vans and e350 diesels. the gassers are almost impossible to wear out. we always got 300k plus miles out of them with routine maintenance hauling heavy loads. the diesels were fine up to 100k but after that they are ****. ford makes a great product but not up to par on higher mileage diesels.

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
AllenTC2 wrote:

Hahahaha
Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
But I do have a legit question, does tire size (17" v 18") play a role at all?

Looking at Fords fleet spec websites shows the F250 and F350 srw both with the 6340 rawr comes OEM with 17" tires at 3195 lb capacity which covers the rawr.
The 18" tire at 3640 lbs covers the F350 srw 6780 rawr package.
The 20" tire at 3750 lbs covers the F350 srw 7230 rawr package.

The 18" and 20" tire and wheel package is a option on the F250 as many comes with them.
Remember a fawr/rawr rating is basically the lessor of the tires/wheels/spring packs and of course very rarely, the axle itself.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

AllenTC2
Explorer
Explorer
I coulda swore I saw something on one of the 2017 tow guides about “with 20” tires”. The 2018 F250 XL only had the 17” or 18” as options.

Well, I guess now that I can build one on the Ford site, I’ll start looking around for one with what I want.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
AllenTC2 wrote:
....snip.... B does tire size (17" v 18") play a role at all? Other than getting properly rated ones, does it matter?

Ford will make sure that the original tires they install will meet the gross vehicle weight rating (gvwr) of the pickup.

I have a preference in brands (somebody else can argue about that). I like to have a popular and commonly available tire size and brand for when it becomes necessary to replace one or more. I am a stickler for keeping tires matched as closely as possible. Since I do mostly highway driving these days, I like a street tread more than a noisier off road pattern.

AllenTC2
Explorer
Explorer
mountainkowboy wrote:
rbpru wrote:
Wow 19 pages. Okay next we get to discuss "How many Angles can dance on the head of a pin". 🙂

Seriously though guys, no need to get testy (is it too late to say that???).

So........gas or diesel? 😛 I keed, I keed. But I do have a legit question, does tire size (17" v 18") play a role at all? Other than getting properly rated ones, does it matter?

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
rbpru wrote:

2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

kcfissel
Explorer
Explorer
I think I've decided on the F250.
The rest, from now on, is up to management to approve. 😉
Ken

“needs” and “wants” are pesky things to distinguish, and the bigger the peskier…

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
kcfissel wrote:
Let's get back to the worthwhile, nutty topic, please.

We have a 26 ft. trailer and it weighs 6500+/- lbs. loaded.
It's a little heavy in the tongue since I added a giant 12V battourery.
(didn't change WD links.

I want to buy a new Ford truck to replace my 2012 F150 (steel body) and I want an F250, with marker lights, to drive our trailer to Alaska, and back. Or an F150 HD?

Prolly be on the road 5-6 months.

It will most likely be my last truck.

It's a "peskier" want.
What is the correct answer, please?

As the others have said, a F-250 will work great now and be there for a bigger trailer if needed. Nice not to have to even think about the impact of a heavier battery or taking Uncle Bill along in the bed of the truck. Let us know how things work out for you either way.

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
kcfissel wrote:

It's a little heavy in the tongue since I added a giant 12V battery.
(didn't change WD links.

I want to buy a new Ford truck to replace my 2012 F150 (steel body) and I want an F250, with marker lights, to drive our trailer to Alaska, and back. Or an F150 HD?

It's a "peskier" want.

Last truck and Alaska..Definitely a F-250.I have owned a bunch of them..
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

mountainkowboy
Explorer
Explorer
kcfissel wrote:

(didn't change WD links.

It's a "peskier" want.

Last truck...go with a 250. You can always upgrade your RV that way. 😉
2007 Tiffin Allegro 30DA
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
kcfissel wrote:

(didn't change WD links.

It's a "peskier" want.

A HD F150 will do it. A F250 will do it easier.

Last truck? I say go for the F250.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~