cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2018 flagstaff superlite has condensation on walls

Rodney_j_callah
Explorer
Explorer
I have a problem with condensation forming on walls where the frame work is,all corners.we live in this thing for weeks at a time during winter and when we heat it up here come the condensation, has anyone found a fix for this thanks,also i dont have access to electricity 24/7 so a dehumitifer is not an option,lookin for other options thanks
15 REPLIES 15

Rodney_j_callah
Explorer
Explorer
I have had campers for along time and this is my first fiberglass sided camper, when it sweats i can see where it collects where the frame work is in the walls wherw thete is no insulation

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
Rodney j callahan wrote:
Thanks for all the information on condensation in camper,will invest in dehumidifer that can run on generator

Is this your first time owning a camper? How cold is the area you are in? In the mid-atlantic we get serious condensation in the spring and fall.
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Rodney j callahan wrote:
Thanks for all the information on condensation in camper,will invest in dehumidifer that can run on generator
Probably a wise decision although expensive one.

The odd thing is I have to run a humidifier of a winter in Kansas and a dehumidifier if I winter in Florida.

Rodney_j_callah
Explorer
Explorer

smthbros
Explorer
Explorer
As the temperature difference between indoor and outdoor air increases, so too does the dehumidifying effect of ventilation.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
Let's assume the OP had electricity for say 6 hrs/day. running a compressor driven dehumidifier for that length of time will likely solve the condensation problem. It may take a few days but should help a great deal. Mine will often pull 2.5 gallons out of the air in 6-8 hours. Once it gets the humidity down to the 50% range or so, it pulls out about 2-3 gallons/day.

Long term use in other than a very dry climate IMHO pretty much means measures to prevent moisture buildup. In moderate humidity climates, opening windows, fans on etc. when cooking, showering may be enough. But when humidity rises outside and/or it gets cold at night, that is often not enough and a compressor driven dehumidifier is appropriate.

IMHO the peltier devices or damp rid type are fine for storage, but can't pull near enough moisture out when trailer is in use.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

CFerguson
Explorer
Explorer
delwhjr wrote:
Check out the Eva-dry renewable dehumidifier. This is a renewable item which will dehumidify and then you can restore it to work again. It does not use electricity to remove but uses a little to renew. There are different sizes for large and small spaces.

+1 on this product. Works better than a typical dehumidifier.

delwhjr
Explorer
Explorer
Check out the Eva-dry renewable dehumidifier. This is a renewable item which will dehumidify and then you can restore it to work again. It does not use electricity to remove but uses a little to renew. There are different sizes for large and small spaces.
2022 Rockwood 2109S
2006 Durango HEMI

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
You can open the rv vents and windows for ventilation or get electric power and a dehumidifier or move to a drier climate.

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
Things inside a TT that produce water vapor.

Exhaling - the human body expels water vapor while breathing. You can produce a quart or more of water vapor just while you sleep. So figure one person can produce 3 or more quarts per day.

Cooking - moisture boiled off while cooking either in the oven or the burners on top of the stove. Propane combustion also gives off water vapor as a byproduct of combustion. All microwaves are vented at the top rear of the cabinet. Although they are usually mounted over the stove hood in trailers they are never vented by the stove exhaust fan. The microwave exhaust usually winds up coming out of the grill at the front top of the cabinet enclosure the microwave sits in.

Propane heaters - Mr Buddy, Wave 3, etc all will add to the humidity level due to combustion.

Showering - hot water and cool air means more humidity.

I normally kept both roof hatches cracked about an inch. When it was too breezy or cold and I had to close the front hatch I ran a 25 pint per day whirlpool humidifier set at 40 percent humidity. That was suitable for me and one Chihuahua in my 28-1/2 footer.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Condensation is your doing, not the RVโ€™s doing. Open a window, buy a dehumidifier regardless of your electricity issue, lower the indoor temperature etc. An RV isnโ€™t a stick and brick.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
Get and use a BIG dehudifier

The OP said - "also i dont have access to electricity 24/7 so a dehumitifer is not an option".

Just people breathing inside a closed up camper will create condensation so ventilation is a must.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Get and use a BIG dehudifier

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Very common and normal when living in a box that has 2" think wall....in the winter.

pianotuna above has some good solutions.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro