cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2020 6.7 Power Stroke w/Steel Pistons

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Here's a video from Mr Truck. He missed it, but the new Power Stroke will have Mahle Steel pistons. This should make this engine platform good for an easy 1 million miles.

Link
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"
29 REPLIES 29

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
danrclem wrote:
The link also said that the steel pistons could have tighter clearances and since the cylinder wall and piston expanded at about the same rate there would be less cylinder wear.

It sounds like Ford is going the extra mile to make these engines more durable but only time will tell for sure.

100K dependability towing at the upper ratings is more of a concern.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

danrclem
Explorer
Explorer
The link also said that the steel pistons could have tighter clearances and since the cylinder wall and piston expanded at about the same rate there would be less cylinder wear.

It sounds like Ford is going the extra mile to make these engines more durable but only time will tell for sure.

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
^^^Yeah something like that... Or perhaps the next Ike Gauntlet run the truck with the steel pistons steels the show? :B

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
So the truck with the steel pistons will have an aluminum body, and the truck with The aluminum pistons will have a steel body?
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollinโ€™ on 33โ€™s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Groover wrote:
wrgrs50s wrote:
Wow, I was questioning the post on the steel pistons so I looked it up and sure enough, it's something that performance diesels have been using in their racing engines for a while. I never would have thought a steel piston would work because of the inertia weight. Apparently they've beefed the rods up to compensate.

Steel weighs twice as much as aluminum for the same volume. The designers may have been able to reduce the volume due to steel having a higher strength at high temperatures than aluminum but even if they didn't you can reduce the inertia stress by half just by reducing RPM by 30%. Since most diesel engines only turn about half the RPM of gas engines it doesn't sound like piston inertia would be too big of a deal. Also, any connecting rod that can survive the compression stroke of one of these diesels shouldn't have any trouble with holding the piston back at the top of the stroke.

If you read the link to Mahle's web site I provided these steel pistons appear to be very similar in weight to cast aluminum pistons and in some cases actually lighter.

Also on this site it illustrates a funny car with a cummins spinning 5,800 rpm and 2,200F exhaust gas temps for 100 passes.

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
The steel piston is likely needed to safely increase EGT, and necessary to increase power.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
"Also, any connecting rod that can survive the compression stroke of one of these diesels shouldn't have any trouble with holding the piston back at the top of the stroke."

Maybe, maybe not. Don't forget that the rod just has to resist the compression on that compression stroke, but when the piston gets to the end of it's stroke, then the energy is trying to pull the rod apart and the rod is fairly thin where it connects to the piston, and bolted together at the other end. The two weak links.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
wrgrs50s wrote:
Wow, I was questioning the post on the steel pistons so I looked it up and sure enough, it's something that performance diesels have been using in their racing engines for a while. I never would have thought a steel piston would work because of the inertia weight. Apparently they've beefed the rods up to compensate.

Steel weighs twice as much as aluminum for the same volume. The designers may have been able to reduce the volume due to steel having a higher strength at high temperatures than aluminum but even if they didn't you can reduce the inertia stress by half just by reducing RPM by 30%. Since most diesel engines only turn about half the RPM of gas engines it doesn't sound like piston inertia would be too big of a deal. Also, any connecting rod that can survive the compression stroke of one of these diesels shouldn't have any trouble with holding the piston back at the top of the stroke.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
All I could afford wrote:
Comming soon...a TV commercial featuring A load of bricks being dropped onto a steel piston, versus A load of bricks being dropped onto an aluminum piston.

Just don't drop used and/or broken steel pistons in an aluminum bed truck, if there land with the edge of the skirt pointed down they will make a hole in the bed floor.
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
Comming soon...a TV commercial featuring A load of bricks being dropped onto a steel piston, versus A load of bricks being dropped onto an aluminum piston.
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollinโ€™ on 33โ€™s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
Here's a video from Mr Truck. He missed it, but the new Power Stroke will have Mahle Steel pistons. This should make this engine platform good for an easy 1 million miles.

Link

LOL, I never realized that aluminum pistons were holding the SD back from the million mile mark.

Wow, learn something every day! :B

LOL... When I saw these new Steel pistons going into the new Power Stroke you're the first person I thought of since you were the one stating the new 5LP Duramax was going to have these pistons.

Even though I knew you were joking at the time. :W

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
ShinerBock wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:

Most of your HD diesel engines now use steel pistons and is the major reason most can get 1 million miles without a rebuild.

There are many HD diesel engines that go a million miles and don't use steel pistons. The ability to go a million miles before an overhaul is generally not due to piston material. Worn sleeves and piston rings along with bent rods are generally causes of an overhaul in a million mile HD truck.

Also, one of the biggest factors in an HD truck making it to a million miles has a lot to do with how it is driven and of course maintained. An HD long haul truck that is on the road more often with minimal cold starts will easily get to a millions miles while the same truck used as a delivery truck with a lot of stop/starts will probably no get to a million miles before an overhaul.

I don't disagree with most of your comments but I do disagree that the steel pistons are part of the HD engines durability. They wouldn't install a more expensive piston if they didn't increase the longevity of the engine.

I believe these are the Mahle pistons going into the new Power Stroke since Mahle already provides the current aluminum pistons to Ford.

Steel Pistons

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:

Most of your HD diesel engines now use steel pistons and is the major reason most can get 1 million miles without a rebuild.

There are many HD diesel engines that go a million miles and don't use steel pistons. The ability to go a million miles before an overhaul is generally not due to piston material. Worn sleeves and piston rings along with bent rods are generally causes of an overhaul in a million mile HD truck.

Also, one of the biggest factors in an HD truck making it to a million miles has a lot to do with how it is driven and of course maintained. An HD long haul truck that is on the road more often with minimal cold starts will easily get to a millions miles while the same truck used as a delivery truck with a lot of stop/starts will probably no get to a million miles before an overhaul.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
With the slower rpm of the diesel engines steel pistons are definitely possible. Trying to run steel pistons in a high rpm engine may cause UFO's as parts try to leave the engine bay. ๐Ÿ™‚
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"