cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2020 Chevy payload

dennych1
Explorer
Explorer
I can’t find out what payload is for 2020 Silverado crew cab diesel DRW LTZ because they aren’t out yet . Does anybody know the payload for 2019 same as mentioned above.
15 REPLIES 15

s1214
Explorer
Explorer
Be very careful with the payload. As others have said, it varies greatly by truck. I just bought a 2019 Chevy 2500HD. All the trucks I looked at were bare bones Work trucks. The stickers went from over 3000 lbs. to 2000 lbs. At the low end, the salesman brought out a mechanic who looked it over and found that the rear springs were only 4 leaves. Most 2500HD have 5 leaves.

dennych1
Explorer
Explorer
I will try nada. I am looking at a lt or ltz

JTrac
Explorer
Explorer
You can build one on nadaguides.com. It shows the GVWR to be 14K. Maybe apples to oranges but my fairly loaded King Ranch has almost 5300 pound paylaod. I would imagine a Denali dually would be in that ballpark. I saw a picture of the paylaod of a Denali single rear wheel short bed and it was a little over 3700 pounds. It has a 12,100 GVRW. The long bed has 12,250.
JimT
2020 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, 2020 Ford F350, Platinum, 6.7 diesel, 4X4, CCLB, SRW, 12,400 GVWR

gmckenzie
Explorer
Explorer
dennych1 wrote:
Was trying to figure out if payload for gm drw has gone up since my 2015. The new 2020 aren’t out yet. So I figured someone out there might have a gm drw crew cab diesel that could tell me there payload

Payload has gone up, but the DRW hasn't started shipping yet so all you'll see is brochure numbers. No real numbers for the DRW yet.
2015 GMC Sierra 4x4 CC SB Max Trailer
2010 Cougar 30RKS

dennych1
Explorer
Explorer
Was trying to figure out if payload for gm drw has gone up since my 2015. The new 2020 aren’t out yet. So I figured someone out there might have a gm drw crew cab diesel that could tell me there payload

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
2nd gen RAM's had D70 with auto SRW or DRW. If they had a stick it was a D80 SRW of DRW.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
Huntindog wrote:

There have been other exceptions from time to time as well. I know that Dodge at one time had a Dana 80 behind the Cummins, vs a 60 or 70 (IDRC for sure) for the gas motors.

Those Dodges had a 70 for many SRW trucks but the manual trans trucks had the 80, even in SRW. GM also used the 70 in its older DRW trucks before it had a dually 14 bolt. In any event, it's dangerous to think that the SRW vs. DRW is only springs/tires, because that's often not true. Trucks are engineered for what is on the sticker in the door, as many have said above.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I put 5,750# pin plus 200#+ B&W Hitch plus in-bed toolbox at least 400# on my 15 RAM DRW putting the rear axle at it's RAWR of 9,750#. Thats around 6,300# or so "payload" not including us.

Bottom line with the newest GM's you can tow what you want.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
twodownzero wrote:
Huntindog wrote:
The 2020s duallys GVWR increased from 13000 to 14000. The truck itself is likely a little heavier, so you won't see the full 1000 as an increase in payload. probably 500-700#.

Historically the SRW was pretty much limited by the tires and springs, as the actual axle was the same. For 2020 though, the dually gets a bigger rear axle than the SRW.

So I suppose the actual axle rating will likely be higher. IOW, for those not stuck on the payload number, it can likely haul more. The 14K GVWR is probably conservative in this case.

So you take all of that, and look at some actual trucks payloads, and guesstimate from there. That will be your best ballpark figure.

You mentioned the 2019s.... If you are wondering if the payload will be higher in the 20s vs the 19s... That answer would be yes. And the 20s on paper should be even stronger than their ratings will show, because of the bigger rearend.

GM was not using the same rear axle previously. The axle tubes on the DRW trucks were twice as thick in DRW models. The gears and shafts might have been similar, but that doesn't tell the whole story. The difference between 1/4" wall and 1/2" axle tubes is not trivial.

OP: you will probably have about 6k pounds of payload. It may be a little more or less depending on options.
I had not heard that anywhere before about the tube wall thickness.
The duallys DO have a 12" ring gear vs., an 11.5" for the srw.

There have been other exceptions from time to time as well. I know that Dodge at one time had a Dana 80 behind the Cummins, vs a 60 or 70 (IDRC for sure) for the gas motors.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
What are you trying to accomplish?
All new duallies are of very similar, almost identical capability across the board.
Payload is actually about the least of the real world differences. New dually = good for about 6k payload giver take, any flavor.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
Huntindog wrote:
The 2020s duallys GVWR increased from 13000 to 14000. The truck itself is likely a little heavier, so you won't see the full 1000 as an increase in payload. probably 500-700#.

Historically the SRW was pretty much limited by the tires and springs, as the actual axle was the same. For 2020 though, the dually gets a bigger rear axle than the SRW.

So I suppose the actual axle rating will likely be higher. IOW, for those not stuck on the payload number, it can likely haul more. The 14K GVWR is probably conservative in this case.

So you take all of that, and look at some actual trucks payloads, and guesstimate from there. That will be your best ballpark figure.

You mentioned the 2019s.... If you are wondering if the payload will be higher in the 20s vs the 19s... That answer would be yes. And the 20s on paper should be even stronger than their ratings will show, because of the bigger rearend.

GM was not using the same rear axle previously. The axle tubes on the DRW trucks were twice as thick in DRW models. The gears and shafts might have been similar, but that doesn't tell the whole story. The difference between 1/4" wall and 1/2" axle tubes is not trivial.

OP: you will probably have about 6k pounds of payload. It may be a little more or less depending on options.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
What bikendan said. The trouble is that payload can vary so much that even manufactures to not included them in any specifications other than the door sticker. In other words they won't ball park the number because it's not real.
Chuck D.
“Adventure is just bad planning.” - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

dennych1
Explorer
Explorer
I realize that I wanted to get a ball park.