cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2021 B6.7L maintenance intervals

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
I was going over the new Cummins engine offerings in our medium-duty brands at work and noticed a huge change in maintenance intervals on the B6.7L. The new oil change interval for the medium duty trucks is 30k miles/1,000 hrs/ 18 months with the 19 quart pan. Before, it was 20k miles/550 hrs/6 months with the 19 quart pan. The fuel filter replacement also went up to 60k miles/2,000 hrs/18 months versus 15k miles/1,000 hrs/6 months. The crankcase filter is now maintenance free and never needs to be changed versus 75k miles of the current B6.7L.

Generally, I see changes like these come to the medium-duty trucks for 1-2 years before they come to the pickups. I know the intervals would not be this long for the pickups due to the 12 quart pan on those B6.7L engines, but I would not be surprised if it were also increased to at least 20k miles. I guess we will have to see in a few years. We have not had any major issues with the B6.7 since it was available mid 2016 (2019 in the pickups).
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS
7 REPLIES 7

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
IdaD wrote:
spoon059 wrote:
ShinerBock wrote:
The new oil change interval for the medium duty trucks is... 18 months with the 19 quart pan.

This is the most intriguing for me. I've never understood the 6 months aspect of oil changes. I get the mileage or engine hours, because that's actual usage of the engine and degradation of the oil. The time period seems very arbitrary to me. I drive my truck 8-10,000 miles a year. Ram rates the engine for 15K mile OCI... or 6 months. So I am wasting 3 gallons of oil and a filter every 6 months, even though its essentially new.

The argument has always been made that its the additive package that breaks down in time. If that is the case, why are the new MDT 6.7 engines rated for 18 month OCI?

I change my oil, oil filter and fuel filters out every spring. I average around 14k miles a year. The truck doesn't burn any oil and it doesn't seem bad when I switch it out. YMMV.

This is exactly what I do as well.
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yea, I do mine every fall, about 9K miles a year. Doesn't burn oil, everything seems fine. I bought from a dealer that advertises a "lifetime" engine and trans warranty, so long as I can prove that I did routine maintenance per Ram specs. According to Ram, I need oil changes every 6 months, so I can kiss the idea of that warranty goodbye.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
spoon059 wrote:
ShinerBock wrote:
The new oil change interval for the medium duty trucks is... 18 months with the 19 quart pan.

This is the most intriguing for me. I've never understood the 6 months aspect of oil changes. I get the mileage or engine hours, because that's actual usage of the engine and degradation of the oil. The time period seems very arbitrary to me. I drive my truck 8-10,000 miles a year. Ram rates the engine for 15K mile OCI... or 6 months. So I am wasting 3 gallons of oil and a filter every 6 months, even though its essentially new.

The argument has always been made that its the additive package that breaks down in time. If that is the case, why are the new MDT 6.7 engines rated for 18 month OCI?

I change my oil, oil filter and fuel filters out every spring. I average around 14k miles a year. The truck doesn't burn any oil and it doesn't seem bad when I switch it out. YMMV.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
Does this engine have the CP4.2 HPFP and hydraulic lifters? From what I can tell it still has the CP3 HPFP.

Also with the improvements on viscosity control of the API CK4 oils that should help with increasing OCI's.

It is the B6.7L. Only the ISB6.7L had the CP3.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
ShinerBock wrote:

2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Does this engine have the CP4.2 HPFP and hydraulic lifters? From what I can tell it still has the CP3 HPFP.

Also with the improvements on viscosity control of the API CK4 oils that should help with increasing OCI's.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
The differences in maintenance for my 2020 Chevy 1500 are also remarkable. Can’t even check the transmission fluid level. No transmission fluid replacement recommended unless used under severe conditions, then at 72000 miles.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad