cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2021 Ram TRX

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Here's a little more info on the new TRX engine, intake system, and frame upgrades.

Also worth mentioning Ram installed a regular gear shift over the knob, a trailer steering system and launch control. The most powerful, quickest truck on the market.

Link
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"
15 REPLIES 15

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
Darn, i was born 50 years too soon!
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
Groover wrote:
One test article that I read summarized as a dedicated play toy, not much use for anything else, including a daily commute.

Not sure how anyone would think otherwise. Not exactly a profound statement. It is a specialized vehicle. As far as a daily driver. If you can afford the fuel and the step in height it drives as good as any other truck for that purpose.

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
One test article that I read summarized as a dedicated play toy, not much use for anything else, including a daily commute. Judging from the numbers of side by sides I see there is probably a good market for that, at least for now. It seems that if too many people get one going out in the woods could become more dangerous than driving on the interstate if some kind of off road traffic control isn't developed.

The current Raptor is a little more versatile but the new one may be going the direction of the Rebel. It seems that the Tremor package is giving an option that is more useful but still enough off road capable for those just trying to get somewhere.

With ordinary trucks getting so powerful full time 4wd is getting more attractive for them, especially when towing a heavy trailer. I find myself using the 4A position in my truck on road fairly often when towing heavy, almost always when the roads are wet.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
FishOnOne wrote:
ksss wrote:
What is the power split from front to rear? That AWD system must be built hell for stout to hold up to that kind of power.

You would think in order to track straight the power distribution would be 50/50, but it could vary depending a traction?

It is probably smart enough to move power as needed around on the fly!

One can read about it here:

https://moparinsiders.com/an-in-depth-look-at-the-2021-ram-1500-trxs-selectable-drive-modes/

This is going to give the left handed copilot a real roll in the operation of the vehicle. Not left handed copilot, start learning to push buttons, touch screens and turn knobs with your left hand. As you will most likely will have your right hand welded to the grab handle on the passenger's A pillar.
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
ksss wrote:
What is the power split from front to rear? That AWD system must be built hell for stout to hold up to that kind of power.

You would think in order to track straight the power distribution would be 50/50, but it could vary depending a traction?

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

mr61impala
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
Here's a video of the Ram TRX vs the Ford Raptor. Not a fan of the full time 4 wheel drive and the large plastic shroud that hides the Hemi engine otherwise it's a impressive truck for the gear heads that is advertised to pull a 4.5 sec 0-60.

Link

Car and Driver just drove it, 0-60 in 3.7, quarter mile in 12.3 @ 110 mph. That's one quick (but thirsty) truck.
Shopping for Travel Trailer

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
FishOnOne wrote:
Also the truck has full time 4 wheel drive. Not sure I care for that but it's probably because of the power.

Todays full time 4 wheel drive in not your grandfathers full time 4 wheel drive system. The system in our Ford Edge ST is pretty much transparent. Launching it is seamless for a 4500 pound SUV and only having a 2.7L V6 to turn 0-60 in 5.7 and 98/14.3 in the 1/4 mile is not bad. Oh yeah, it is a twin turbo with 335HP and 380 lb ft.
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grit dog wrote:
^Only way to keep the back tires under it!

Agreed...

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Here's a video of the Ram TRX vs the Ford Raptor. Not a fan of the full time 4 wheel drive and the large plastic shroud that hides the Hemi engine otherwise it's a impressive truck for the gear heads that is advertised to pull a 4.5 sec 0-60.

Link

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^Only way to keep the back tires under it!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Also the truck has full time 4 wheel drive. Not sure I care for that but it's probably because of the power.

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
Must be a blast to drive, but at 1300# payload, not much of a tow vehicle.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Dodge boys!
Zoom Zoom!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold