'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"
64 REPLIES 64

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grit dog wrote:
noteven wrote:
Another nose spectacular from the USA Pickup Design Bureau

That's because the mfgs tried the Canadian Pickup Design Bureau once and they got Bob n Doug MacKenzie as lead designers!

Take off, eh?!
:B

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
"It would appear folks don't buy Tundras for their latest technology or raw powertrain performance. So what keeps 'em competitive?"

Rock solid reliability.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Ron3rd wrote:
Not a fan of the looks of the new one but I absolutely loved my 2007 Tundra 5.7
Never in the shop once for repairs though it had a few recalls.

Sold it at 106,000 miles and 8 years later. Had it detailed and it looked like new.

Would still have it but we bought a bigger trailer.

Best truck I ever owned.

LOL, this must be what keeps Yoder selling trucks! Someone puts 10k a year grampa miles on a truck and is impressed that it was a reliable vehicle....

Not saying it isn't relaible, but at 100k miles, I cant tell you if my vehicle is great. I can tell you if it's good so far or if it's a POS, but 100k isn't bragging rights.

That said, Yoder is still revered as reliable and likely is. And back in 07 when they got some real HP out of the 5.7 and a 6 speed, they were top of the game compared to the other big 4. Then 3 of the big 4 slowly passed them. Yoder played it right.
I'd buy a Yoder any day, if it fit my needs and didn't have the Yoder nut humper upcharge in price that all Yoders seem to have.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
otrfun wrote:
Toyota managed to keep the 5.7 (and same drivetrain) in production 14 years (2007-2021) without any dramatic drop in sales. Allowed Toyota to squeeze max profit per unit due to dramatically lower R&D and production costs.

Ford introduced the very successful, popular 3.5 Ecoboost in 2011. After 11 years. Toyota finally decides to jump on-board with their own twin-turbo V6 for the 2022 Tundra.

It would appear folks don't buy Tundras for their latest technology or raw powertrain performance. So what keeps 'em competitive?

Laurels.
"to be satisfied with past success and do nothing to achieve further success."

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Not a fan of the looks of the new one but I absolutely loved my 2007 Tundra 5.7
Never in the shop once for repairs though it had a few recalls.

Sold it at 106,000 miles and 8 years later. Had it detailed and it looked like new.

Would still have it but we bought a bigger trailer.

Best truck I ever owned.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
Toyota managed to keep the 5.7 (and same drivetrain) in production 14 years (2007-2021) without any dramatic drop in sales. Allowed Toyota to squeeze max profit per unit due to dramatically lower R&D and production costs.

Ford introduced the very successful, popular 3.5 Ecoboost in 2011. After 11 years. Toyota finally decides to jump on-board with their own twin-turbo V6 for the 2022 Tundra.

It would appear folks don't buy Tundras for their latest technology or raw powertrain performance. So what keeps 'em competitive?

Fisherman
Explorer
Explorer
Last I checked the Tundra's didn't even have a heated steering wheel. Their designers must have eaten a seriously bad bowl of ugly. Thing looks like a transformer that had a glitch. Looks aren't everything, but that puts that truck off my future list.

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
hvac wrote:
Well what can we expect? It's a truck! They are all ugly!
Now is it going to get better mileage? Updated and interior? Will it be as reliable?

You want beauty get a Corvette.

No allegiance here (I don't even own a truck), but saying they're all ugly must be coming from a person who's not seen the new Ram trucks.

As for beauty, a new Corvette? Seriously? I must be missing something, but to each his own.
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

hvac
Explorer
Explorer
Same engine going into land cruiser. It must be reliable but going turbo so that will be tough.

fx2tom
Explorer
Explorer
I like it and depending on price may buy one.
2002 Ford F250 Lariat 7.3l 4x4 CCSB
2007 Forest River Sierra Sport M-26FBSP

hvac
Explorer
Explorer
Well what can we expect? It's a truck! They are all ugly!
Now is it going to get better mileage? Updated and interior? Will it be as reliable?

You want beauty get a Corvette.

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
frankwp wrote:
Toyota has just handily taken the ugliest truck award from the Silverado HD.

I have no brand loyalties but both have the ugliest front ends I've seen in a long time. I don't get it.:h
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
I think the last gen Tundra has been a good truck, and I've got no real issues with the way this one looks. I'm sure it'll sell well. I do wish Toyota would make a genuine HD truck but I don't see them trying to make that leap. As half tons go I'm sure this will be a nice truck, though.

There are only so many ways to style a pickup. You can be innovative like Tesla and design a visual turd, or you can do what everybody else does and apply lipstick to the same basic shape.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
noteven wrote:
Another nose spectacular from the USA Pickup Design Bureau

That's because the mfgs tried the Canadian Pickup Design Bureau once and they got Bob n Doug MacKenzie as lead designers!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Looks very similar to the current 4RUNNER to me. Also kind of reminds me of the GMC HD. Iโ€™m personally not a fan of Toyota but I donโ€™t think it is terrible. Iโ€™m sure they will sell pretty much everything they can build. Just like the do with the tired old current generation.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010