cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

3/4up to a fl60

packnrat
Explorer
Explorer
looking to buy a larger rv to full time in.

at this time i have a sick F250.
not sure about towing cap, breaking abilty, etc.
works great with my 25 footer does not even know its there.
but for full time? with a 35-40 foot rv?
how about a bit of good and bad about what you use?
was looking at older fl60's but told that older units are baned cause of lack of a filter.
and all newer units need to burn a caustic has-mat chem in the exhaust. more to maintain.
or are rv laws not the same as comercial laws here?

my lifes work has been driving so no issues there.
everything but has-mat on my cdl.
2006 F250 4X4 auto 6.0 short bed
2001 sunnybrook 24 ft
1984 cj7 built up a bit
kg6tgu
never too many toys, just not enought room to keep them
one dog who belives she is the master. rip 12 12 2007
12 loving years and loyal to the end.
just out having fun
24 REPLIES 24

blt2ski
My MDT has the same motor available in LDT trucks. Due to more oil in pan, larger oil filter, I have longer change intervals.
The 188" wb, will turn a sharper corner, :-)turn in a smaller area than the 155" ext cab GM pickup I had. Way utter than the crew cabs at 170-175".
I need same square feet to park in. Better visability. Only issue is a foot or so taller. None of these rigs truly fit in parking garages, or the garage at my home. A wash there.....
Buy what suits your pleasure.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
Less mpg but cost per mile same or better ...... so wrong
parts are the same as a hd pick up (maintenance) in my experience ...... so wrong
daily driver for first 4 years camping ,parking no problem ........... so wrong
oil changes $200 but good for 30,000 so a wash .......... so wrong
batting a 1000 so far
whats the problem with overkill if its cheaper ?
just my experience yours must be different? or are you just guessing?
2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
directlink brake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:
Me Again wrote:
Today's modern 350/3500 duallies handle 35-40 5th wheels just fine. Chris

Yes, and they cost $70+K while a used non Sport Class FL 60-70 with a Commins 8.3 engine is $20K or less with lots of miles left in it.

And with a higher cost to maintain, expensive parts, larger oil changes, less MPG and a PITA to park! That's my thought on the MTD class trucks...oh and did I mention way overkill for the RV you mention. The OP needs to take a drive to the dealerships and drive the newer trucks and then evaluate the situation.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

Bedlam
My Ram 5500 was still a little stiff carrying a 4000 lb camper while towing an enclosed trailer with 1000 lbs of tongue weight. Once I went to a 6000 lb truck camper the ride was better. The 4500 and 5500 may be too stiff for the pin weight you are looking to tow. If you plan to add extra fuel tanks and tool boxes, then you will like the extra capacity available to you. My truck had 9000 lbs usable payload and I am now at 17-18K lbs GVW when I run over the scales depending on what I have packed.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Jim-Linda
Explorer
Explorer
Go visit the Escapees forum, there is a MDT and HDT section where your concerns can be addressed

packnrat
Explorer
Explorer
moresmoke wrote:
Spend some time reading on the HDT board of the Escapees forum. You will find the answers to your questions there. California has some interesting quirks to their rules. What you ask is possible, but you need to line up the hoops before you jump through them.

yes lining up the hoops is what i am doing now.
using known values ( input from thos that do) .
one here said why not a toy hauler, cause i do not like there layouts. sure less cash out. even shorter.
yes a 40 ft is ( to me at least) a very big coach, as a trailer i am used to 48 ft with a short wheel base ( got senourty so i work the yard driving the goat, tired of the " problems with customers).

yes the med duty do run rougher. air helps. but to me that would be going big.
a 350 up to a 550 makes best use.
2006 F250 4X4 auto 6.0 short bed
2001 sunnybrook 24 ft
1984 cj7 built up a bit
kg6tgu
never too many toys, just not enought room to keep them
one dog who belives she is the master. rip 12 12 2007
12 loving years and loyal to the end.
just out having fun

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
Here's my real world experience:
We bought a 38FT 5th wheel 13,000lb weight.
Truck 1-At the time I had a Chevy 3/4 ton 4X4 with a 350 engine. The tow rating was 10,000lb for a 5th wheel.
I towed the trailer once with the 350 and decided I needed a bigger engine. So I had a 454 built and installed. This worked OK but the truck didn't have enough brakes to safely stop the trailer.
Truck 2- I bought a used 1 ton Chevy with a 454 v8. Towing was a lot safer and the truck would slowly climb 6 to 8% grades but going down a long 6% grade got scary. I would begin to run out of brakes by the time I reached the bottom of a 10 to 20 mile down grade. Even in first gear.
Truck 3- My current truck is a 2007 C4500 Chevy with the Duramax engine and allison transmission. It is equipped with an exhaust brake. This is the right truck for towing our 5th wheel.

The only caution I have regarding a medium duty truck (MDT) like mine and the FL60 is the ride. These trucks when empty ride rough. The RV'ers using Heavy Duty Trucks (HDT) all indicate the ride of their HDTs is much more comfortable than the MDT many of them had prior to moving up to an HDT.

The only reason I didn't go to an HDT is my wife and 90 year old Dad would not have been able to safely climb up into the cab.

By the way my MDT has the exact same measurements (width & length) my 1 ton pickup had. So I'm comfortable using it as a daily driver.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
packnrat wrote:

was looking at older fl60's but told that older units are baned cause of lack of a filter.
and if they don't have air they ride like a shopping cart.
packnrat wrote:
just starting my searching so as the great number nine said input, need input.
Number 5.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Devocamper wrote:
all the newer diesel 3500 hd's come with exhaust brake

Coorect all the newer pickups have exh brakes via the vgt turbos. Built in, no extra hardware.

If youโ€™re asking about a true Jake brake, engine brake, retarder whatever you want to call it, actually PAC brake makes a retarder for the little pickup truck Cummins. It works in conjunction with the exh brake.
Seems like a cool gadget. Probably not needed unless running to the max in the mountains regularly. OE turbo brakes do a pretty good job.
But if I was building my ultimate Ram it would have a PAC brake retarder just because!!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

LIKE2BUILD
Explorer
Explorer
packnrat wrote:

not known if a pu diesel motor can accept a true jake brake. but i find them very good for going down a grade.

A true Jacobs Exhaust Brake isn't needed. My 2014 Ram 6.7 Cummins came factory with an exhaust brake. This past summer I towed my 16,000 lbs 5th wheel through the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone and the OEM exhaust brake worked flawlessly. One leg of the trip was to go over Teton Pass. That's a winding stretch that was 9.5 miles up and down with several sections that were 10% grade. On the downhill the OEM exhaust brake kept my speed in check the whole time. I had to use the service brakes on a little and a couple times I had to give it throttle because the exhaust brake was slowing me down too much.

In your original post you said "newer units need to burn a caustic has-mat chem in the exhaust. more to maintain." There are many folks that don't like the DEF systems. So far I haven't had any trouble with mine. There's noting extra to maintain aside from filling the tank when needed. When not towing the truck uses very little DEF. During towing usage goes up and I have to fill the tank more often but it's not terrible. The biggest thing I like is the old diesel smell in the exhaust is gone.

KJ
'14 Ram 2500|Crew Cab Long Bed|4X4|Cummins
Curt Q20 with Ram 5th Wheel Prep
2000 Crownline 205BR
1997 Ranger Comanche 461VS
'01 Polaris Virage TX PWC
'94 Polaris SLT750 PWC
3 Wonderful Sons (21, 15, & 13)
1 forgiving wife!!!

Devocamper
Explorer
Explorer
all the newer diesel 3500 hd's come with exhaust brake
08 NU-WA Hitchhiker Discover America 339 RSB Sold
18 Host Mammoth
07 Chevy 3500HD LT1 EXT Cab LB DRW D/A Sold
18 Ram 3500 SLT Crew Cab DRW 4x2 6.4 4.10's

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lots of MD trucks for sale as the modern 350/3500 will pull MOST any new RV out there.

I tow more than most on here at 33K combined and 35K when double towing my Motorcycle trailer with two Cruizers.

I am under FAWR, at RAWR and under GCVWR. Truck "HANDLES" the load GREAT. Many say their truck "tows just fine" in my mind it's all about being able to handle the load. I have towed in 40+mph side winds thru the mountains at 75mph with no issues. That means lots of gusts.

14% down hill grades for miles in 2nd locked at 30mph with cool brakes at bottom of the grade. Or up that same grade locked in 2nd and cool trans at the top even in 90+ temps.

It's a towing beast right out of the box with no mods needed.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

buta4
Explorer
Explorer
Sport Chassis may be best for your needs. Model is RHA-350.
Ray

moresmoke
Explorer
Explorer
Spend some time reading on the HDT board of the Escapees forum. You will find the answers to your questions there. California has some interesting quirks to their rules. What you ask is possible, but you need to line up the hoops before you jump through them.