cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

4.10 rear in new Ford F350

dennych1
Explorer
Explorer
A lot of leftovers have the 4.10 rear any one know if there would be a big difference in MPG towing or would it be negligible..?
35 REPLIES 35

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
wnjj wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
wnjj wrote:
Low geared rear axles are great, until you are revโ€™ed out and canโ€™t pull the next gear.

WTF.... Back away from the booze and the keyboard.

Ever been tachโ€™d out in 2nd pulling a steep hill but canโ€™t hit 3rd? The lower geared truck will be moving slower than its higher geared counterpart. That was my point.

My 8.1L 4.10 revs hard at 60 when loaded down on a couple of I-5 hills in southern Oregon. It would rev a bit higher if I wanted to go a little faster but wouldnโ€™t stay in the next gear. It has enough power to go 65-70 but the wrong gearing. For the record, I chose the 4.10 and would again. Just saying that nothing is perfect for all situations.

However with more transmission gear choices, towing gets easier. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Seriously! Back away from the keyboard
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
spud1957 wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
^ And this example is for the Diesel. OP hasnโ€™t even said what engine heโ€™s looking for, I think.
Surmising gasser since Ford doesnโ€™t currently offer a 3.73 in the diesel though.
Does that change things?

He is looking at a diesel. No 4:10 gears in a gasser since 2010.

Youโ€™re correct. Solved the mystery!
Now what wuz the question again? Lol
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
FishOnOne wrote:
wnjj wrote:
Low geared rear axles are great, until you are revโ€™ed out and canโ€™t pull the next gear.

Ever been tachโ€™d out in 2nd pulling a steep hill but canโ€™t hit 3rd? The lower geared truck will be moving slower than its higher geared counterpart. That was my point.

My 8.1L 4.10 revs hard at 60 when loaded down on a couple of I-5 hills in southern Oregon. It would rev a bit higher if I wanted to go a little faster but wouldnโ€™t stay in the next gear. It has enough power to go 65-70 but the wrong gearing. For the record, I chose the 4.10 and would again. Just saying that nothing is perfect for all situations.

However with more transmission gear choices, towing gets easier. ๐Ÿ˜‰

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
wnjj wrote:

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

spud1957
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
^ And this example is for the Diesel. OP hasnโ€™t even said what engine heโ€™s looking for, I think.
Surmising gasser since Ford doesnโ€™t currently offer a 3.73 in the diesel though.
Does that change things?

He is looking at a diesel. 2010 was the last year 4:10s in a gasser.
2018 F350 6.7 4x4 CCSB
2022 GD Reflection 337 RLS

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
wnjj wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
^So this is just for the sake of argument, that if you cherry pick the exact weight, speed, torque curve, grade and scenery out the passenger window, you can find a spot where taller gears are slightly more efficient than lower gears?
What happens the rest of the time when the scenery changes?

The only variable involved is speed. For each speed you pick, one rear axle ratio or the other will have an advantage given the same transmission ratios. Pick the one that has the advantage at the speed you travel most often.

And that's not going to happen until you are well over 100mph. There is no way you can be rev'ed out at highway speeds, unless your under powered, in that case all the gear in the world isn't going to help you!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:
^So this is just for the sake of argument, that if you cherry pick the exact weight, speed, torque curve, grade and scenery out the passenger window, you can find a spot where taller gears are slightly more efficient than lower gears?

The only variable involved is speed. For each speed you pick, one rear axle ratio or the other will have an advantage given the same transmission ratios. Pick the one that has the advantage at the speed you travel most often.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Does that change things?

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
4x4ord wrote:
Lynnmor wrote:
Me Again wrote:
Lynnmor wrote:
Me Again wrote:
. What you think you gain with the lower diff gears in negated by the steeper OD ratio. Think final gear ratio!

Keep in mind that the transmission is worked harder with higher diff gears.

You multiply the top gear ratio times the diff gear ratio, and the result is always more torque with the lower rear gears. Add to that, each gear change is less of a difference in road speed, keeping the engine at a better RPM.

That basically applies in first gear to get a load moving.

Out on highway one is in 5th and the other in 6th at the same speed. You are dismissing a taller 6th gear od ratio.

I am not dismissing anything, the multiplier (rear gear ratio) is the same in every gear.

So the 4.10 will put 15% more torque to the axle in every gear but it does not put more torque to the rear axle at every speed. So for instance at 60 mph on a 6% grade with 16k lbs in tow and foot to the floor the 6r140 will be in 4th with 3.55 gears and in 5th with 4.10 gears. The 3.55 will be putting 5% more torque to the rear axle. If that trailer is increased to a 22,000 lb 5ver the trucks will be slowed to 50 mph on a 6% grade. Both trucks will be in 4th gear. The 4.10 equipped truck will be running at 2518 rpm and the 3.55 equipped truck at 2180. The 4.10 will be putting 13% more torque to the rear axle. The 3.55 equipped truck will continue to slow down until it can drop to 3rd gear (48 mph). Bottom line is that 4.10s are advantageous for heavier trailers but for a 16k fiver you're better off with 3.55s.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lynnmor wrote:
Me Again wrote:
Lynnmor wrote:
Me Again wrote:
. What you think you gain with the lower diff gears in negated by the steeper OD ratio. Think final gear ratio!

You multiply the top gear ratio times the diff gear ratio, and the result is always more torque with the lower rear gears. Add to that, each gear change is less of a difference in road speed, keeping the engine at a better RPM.

Out on highway one is in 5th and the other in 6th at the same speed. You are dismissing a taller 6th gear od ratio.

I am not dismissing anything, the multiplier (rear gear ratio) is the same in every gear.

So the 4.10 will put 15% more torque to the axle in every gear but it does not put more torque to the rear axle at every speed. So for instance at 60 mph on a 6% grade with 16k lbs in tow and foot to the floor the 6r140 will be in 4th with 3.55 gears and in 5th with 4.10 gears. The 3.55 will be putting 5% more torque to the rear axle. If that trailer is increased to a 22,000 lb 5ver the trucks will be slowed to 50 mph on a 6% grade. Both trucks will be in 4th gear. The 4.10 equipped truck will be running at 2518 rpm and the 3.55 equipped truck at 2180. The 4.10 will be putting 13% more torque to the rear axle. Bottom line is that 4.10s are advantageous for heavier trailers but for a 16k fiver you're better off with 3.55s.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
Lynnmor wrote:
Me Again wrote:

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
The new(er) 8 and 10 speed transmissions typically have a lower first gear ratio and the same or a bit higher final overdrive ratio, with more splits in between. Therefore shorter final drive gearing = even more snort down low and through the gears and the same or a bit less rpms in top gear as years past.
Plus weโ€™re not talking diesels here. The thread was about gassers, which benefit even more from this because they have large rpm ranges and โ€œneedโ€ more gear reduction to pull bigger loads effectively.
Would anyone complain about having, say, 30 more hp? Thatโ€™s like complaining about having 4.10s in lieu of 3.73s.

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
and the new 10 speed trans?