cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4 Kids - Quad Bunk with Ford Expedition?

kiwiLiv
Explorer
Explorer
Totally new to TT/RV'ing, and trying to get a setup sorted, but we seem to be going around in circles. This seems impossible:
- TT with a quad bunk
- Towable with a Ford Expedition (9000lb tow capacity)

We have 4 kids in carseats (3,5,7 & 9), so a truck is not an option (I am not willing for my 9yo in the front seat). So our best option is to get a Ford Expedition or Expedition Max since that has the highest towing capacity of 9300/9000lb.

I dont want my kids to have to share beds (no-one would get any sleep), but it seems like a quad bunk is crazy hard to find in a weight that would be towable by the Expedition. Am I missing something?

Note: we considered C-Class & A-Class, but ruled them out because it would be a major PITA to install, reinstall carseats every time you want to use the dining table (after you retrofit the seating to be safe for a carseat to be attached... assuming they actually have 4 front or rear facing seats). Looked at pop-ups, but I prefer the added privacy & insulation of a hard sided trailer... but perhaps this is what it has to be?!

Anyone out there with 4 kids able to tell me their set up? How does anyone with 4 kids make this work without a truck?? Im losing my mind trying to figure this out - help please!
26 REPLIES 26

kiwiLiv
Explorer
Explorer
Sjm9911 wrote:
https://www.jayco.com/products/travel-trailers/2020-jay-feather/x23e/

@Sjm9911 Not sure why they are called bunks in this one - they are just normal beds

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.jayco.com/products/travel-trailers/2020-jay-feather/x23e/
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
Just thought of it, but there are some hybrids with 3 fold out beds. Addtionally, one used to have a double bunk inside and 2 fold down beds. Dont k ow if they still make them.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Formerly a pup owner.

kiwiLiv
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks!

@Sjm9911 I missed that one - I had been looking at West Coast Floorplans 😐

@wanderingaimlessly That also looks like a great option! Not sure if this would cut it too close for capacity but I will research it some more.

@MitchF150 Yeah, I've done my time childhood camping in Australia. Didnt care much for the spiders and snakes... but y'all have bears and full on crazy big wild animals here... Im going to go with a house on wheels 🙂

@evanrem Oh wow, I think that just crushed my spirit a little, but I had honestly never thought of that option. Didn't seem to add that much more capacity, but I appreciate the suggestion!

evanrem
Explorer II
Explorer II
Some people in the past mentioned a 3/4 ton van as a solution.

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yep, totally different times for sure... When I was all of those ages (yes, back in late 60's- 70's) we just pitched a couple of tents! 🙂

But yes, I know that's not how it's done now.. 🙂

I do see large families still going out and camping in tents with young kids... I think that's really the only way to figure out if you are able to do this "camping" thing...

But, of course you can jump right into the whole RV thing and that's fine too.

Good that you are asking questions up front and I'm sure you will get a lot better advice than what I just typed out...

Good luck! Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/229472543488733595/?nic_v1=1a32t9PRapm96xqlx0IClQ3wEhpxlMPbRQP3u9kVq0ekBbV57SayNc2wJyLLNoaOX2

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
wanderingaimlessly wrote:
This may be of interest Bullet

Hmmm, hard to believe that close to 34 ft trailer is going to end up around 7500 lbs......well, that's what the specs say.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Until OP gives us payload numbers and weight he plans to carry in the TV, he will receive only guesses.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
This may be of interest Bullet

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
Keystone Passport 292BH SL Series . Still might be a bit big. But best i could Google.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Formerly a pup owner.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
What is the Expedition’s max payload (both) and what is the total weight you’ll be carrying in the Expedition?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad