Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

4-season truck camper and anti-freeze

natali
Explorer
Explorer
Hello!

I am new to truck campers and RVs. In my search for a 4-season truck camper, I came across a truck camper owner (Kodiak 1995) who said that his truck camper was 4 seasons. When I asked if there was a heated basement, he said that I would need to keep RV anti-freeze in the grey and black tanks and that I would need to keep running the heater to make sure that the fresh water tank doesn't freeze.

Do you have any advice? Is this normal? Is this really a 4-season camper? Will it survive winter in Saskatchewan?

Thank you in advance for your help.
11 REPLIES 11

natali
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you to all of you for taking the time to chime in. I truly appreciate it.

I do not own any camper yet, and your input certainly will help me make a good choice.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
@natali, itโ€™s hard to understand you , but appears you now own this camper? If thatโ€™s the case, then you learning what features it has, is going to be your best bet. Not likely to get many or any first hand responses from someone with the same rig, same conditions.

Also, do not assume that any RV is built to some sort of stringent standards with respect to being insulated, heated, weather proof. Itโ€™s not a house.

That said, youโ€™ve had prefect weather to test its winter operation abilities this week, with a get out of jail free card (warmer weather ) next week. Maybe you made use of this opportunity?

One thing is for sure though, winter in Saskatchewan in a TC will be a real โ€œadventureโ€ even under the best of conditions. Good luck!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would look for electrically heated holding tanks. Or plan to add the heat pads.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II

I was not very precise. My question was more about the need for the rv antifreeze in the grey and black tanks.

Some holding tanks use heat pads in either 12v DC or 120v AC configurations. Some other units use a dedicated heat duct which is branched off the furnace to put some heat near those tanks as long as they are enclosed and not exposed to the elements .

Some units have no means for heat on or near those holding tanks. Those tanks would have the need for some sort of antifreeze so the contents do not completely freeze.

4 seasons is just a term . 4 seasons in Texas is not the same as 4 seasons in Canada.

I use my rig to dry camp at campgrounds with heated bath houses.

For during the night use, I have a โ€˜Curveโ€™ battery operated flush toilet with its own water supply tank of 5 gals. and its own 5 gal holding tank.
If i travel with no heat on , I fill its water tank with windshield washer fluid. The holding tank gets dumped in the campground bath house toilet as needed.
Doing things this way allows me to use an electric heater off the CG โ€˜s electric to save my LP by not continually running the furnace.

Many rigs nowadays use Pex water lines which are somewhat forgiving regarding freezing. Its the plastic elbows, petcocks and toilet valves that usually crack causing the leaks.

rtk2
Explorer
Explorer
A four season camper is an advertising myth.

Without a lot of propane and access to AC power, you will shortly freeze solid.

Even with propane and power, access to fresh water fill and sewage dumping will be almost non-existent.

I live in Alberta and know that you are currently at minus 30 C in most parts of the prairie.

Yes, similar to windshield washer antifreeze, adding plumbing antifreeze will keep the grey and black tanks "slushy"

Best bet is to not use any water in your unit. Just jugs of potable water and a drainage basin that you can dump. A portable toilet is possible if you need it.

natali
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you to all of you for your input. I will check the 20 page thread before going on on my adventure.

I understand that I would need to keep the furnace on to make sure that the fresh water tank doesn't freeze.

I was not very precise. My question was more about the need for the rv antifreeze in the grey and black tanks. Doesn't this mean that the camper is not truly a 4-season camper? For those of you who have a 4-season camper, do you also have to put anti-freeze in your grey and black tanks, even if the furnace is on?

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
The requirements for winter camping can be met by four season RVs but you still have to take precautions. Read the thread suggested by Don.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
An unheated 4-season rv is a 4-season tent.

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
Yep. Your house will freeze and burst pipes if you turn the furnace off and let it get cold inside.
Same for camper.
4-season means it is able to be used in the winter, but you have to keep it warm. There are campers with pipes and tanks outside that cannot be kept warm unless the under side is enclosed and heated, those are not 4 season.
There is no camper that can protect wet pipes when the heat is turned off.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
natali wrote:
Hello!

I am new to truck campers and RVs. In my search for a 4-season truck camper, I came across a truck camper owner (Kodiak 1995) who said that his truck camper was 4 seasons. When I asked if there was a heated basement, he said that I would need to keep RV anti-freeze in the grey and black tanks and that I would need to keep running the heater to make sure that the fresh water tank doesn't freeze.

Do you have any advice? Is this normal? Is this really a 4-season camper? Will it survive winter in Saskatchewan?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Natali,

Welcome to the forums.

Kodiak is a good brand.

I live in Saskatchewan.

There is a 20 page thread on winter camping here:

https://forums.goodsamclub.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/24160748
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
Any camper you buy will have the ability to freeze and burst water lines if you don't heat it. Just like a house does. If you are not going to run the furnace you will need to use antifreeze in the lines.

A four season camper means it can be used, if used properly, in the winter. Using it properly means running the furnace to keep water lines from freezing. Using the onboard water tank since leaving a hose hooked up outside in freezing weather will not work. Among other things you will have to learn if you intend to camp in the winter.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500