cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

4 season TT

bc-00044
Explorer
Explorer
Looking to buy a new TT. Max weight 6500. Hoping for ~28 ft, roomy bathroom.
Plan to spend summers in the SW desert (Las Vegas) in addition to our other travels.
Looking for recommendations on brands that do heavy insulation, dual AC, etc for a TT that will stay comfortable in ~100 degree weather
9 REPLIES 9

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
The last post finally said it...
The roof AC will cool the camper, insulated or bad insulated. How well insulated it is will determine how long or how often the Ac unit will run or come on. I had a black class-c and it stayed a meat locker in 115 deg desert in the sun.
Big windows will be big heat losses, but you can cover them when you are out or keep the shades lowered a little to reduce air from constantly circulating over a hot window.
The roof is a big source of heating too. Some roof coatings claim to keep the roof cooler, idk if true.
If you are at CG then AC compressor running all the time not an issue, note the fan will run 100% of the time, but if on a generator then the cycling will burn more gas.

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
X4 on ORV or Arctic Fox. I have zero problem with my single A/C cooling my trailer in 100F weather in direct sun, and my trailer is almost 400 square feet. The slide toppers did help a lot though.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

lhenry8113
Explorer
Explorer
Arctic Fox and Nash, made by Northwood MFG in La Grande, Or. are considered to be 4 seasons campers as well as being well made. We have owned 2 Arctic Fox 5th wheels-the last one we put about 50,000 miles on it with trips from So Ca. to the Yukon Terr. and to Fl. any many points in between. They make their own trailer chassis which comes standard with shock absorbers, etc.
2017 Chev/CLass C Forest River Forester 2251 SLE

A Positive Attitude May Not Solve All Your Problems But It Will Annoy Enough People To Make It Worth The Effort.
H Albright

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's going to need to be one that is aluminum framed and aluminum smooth sided. REALLY hard to find.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Your requirements will be tuff to meet. As wizard said under 20 is danger time regardless of the 4 season sticker...28 sustained IMO.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Old_Days
Explorer II
Explorer II
My Outdoors RV 18RBS is 5400 pounds dry weight, so finding a 28 foot 4 seasons trailer under 6500 pounds will be a challenge.

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
Something large enough to warrant 2 AC units, you mentioned under 28', heavily insulated, and an overall weight under 6500 will be almost impossible, especially if the 6500 is a GVWR.
Well insulated requires thicker walls, floors, and ceilings, all add weight, second AC does as well, and trying to stay under 6500 lbs
Outdoors rv models start at around 6000 lbs empty, and thats a backcountry 20' box.
A Keystone cougar like this may work 22RBS but it starts at 5600 empty, so pack light. And I dont know if a 50 amp service and second AC is an option on that unit because it is so small.

To go lighter, insulation etc will drop. You can put insulation bubble material in windows to help, air pillows in skylights will too. But without adding weight , there is only so much you can do to improve insulation.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like you are more interested in a 3 season TT, which is good, because real 4 season TT, capable of living comfortably well below freezing, really do not exist. Even at 20F, you need to be concerned about pipes freezing.

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
1. Lance
2. Outdoors RV
3. Grand Designs

Our 2020 Outback claims 4season but is basically an enclosed underbelly with ductwork supplying heat from furnace.
We opted out of 2nd AC.