Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

6 volt batteries and an inverter

jdcellarmod
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,

I'm planning on having 2-6 volt batteries with a 300 amp hour rating. Inverter will be 2000 watts. I had read somewhere of low voltage alarms that are possible with this type of setup. It was said that 4-6 volt batteries are recommended. I do not have room for 4-6 volt batteries. The inverter is for running the microwave (short intervals only), hair dryer and the TV. I'm not opposed to using 12 volt batteries. So, what do you all recommend or have experience with?

Thanks, Jeff Drennan
2021 Ram 3500 short bed dually
2020 Arctic Fox 865 short bed
2021 Nitro Z18
15 REPLIES 15

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
work2much wrote:
jplante4 wrote:
I have 4 GC2s at 450 aH total and a 2000 watt MSW inverter and the microwave is iffy. I don't even try the hair dryer at 13 amps (AC) continuous.

Are you sure you aren't adding the Ah capacities to arrive at that? Std. Trojan T-105 batteries are 225Ah each. Connecting them in series would give you a 12v 225Ah battery. Or do you have an L16 sized battery?

I have 4 GC2s
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
jplante4 wrote:
I have 4 GC2s at 450 aH total and a 2000 watt MSW inverter and the microwave is iffy. I don't even try the hair dryer at 13 amps (AC) continuous.
Those batteries should handle the load, if fully charged, and your wiring is sufficient. But, MW's don't particularly like MSW.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
jplante4 wrote:

In my conversion I had 4 of cheapest batteries from Sam's club and could run 15k AC on them for about 20 minutes.
Normal routine was 1 l of coffee every morning, microwave, water pump, lights (that was before LED) all other operations and I did not have to start generator for 3 days.
They lasted for almost 12 years , so got my $46/piece money worth.
But I had high-tech inverter/charger with smart charging and prize it for good battery performance.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Canโ€™t run a hair dryer? Iโ€™ll be a mess every boondocking day!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

crosscheck
Explorer
Explorer
ajriding wrote:
If you are new to RVing then consider an alternate power source. If you only camp once per year then no biggie, batteries will die of old age before you can consume them, but using batteries to power up heaters, hair driers, ovens or other high power appliances will cost you a lot in batteries eventually.

btw, discharge to 50% is not going from 12 volts down to 6 or 7, check the charts. Down to 11 volts is a dead dead battery and past 50% discharge.

Inverters are dangerous in that they will run down your batteries quick. Batteries only have so many cycles of charge/discharge before they are no longer able to be charged back. GC batteries are superior to Marine Rv batteries and can take more cycles, but all will succumb to cycling to death.

From more of a full-timer or part-timer RVer standpoint:
A small 2,000 watt generator is little less than double the price of the two batteries, but should last forever. You just put gas into it.
By comparison, If you charge your batteries off your alternator then you are still putting gas into having available power it just goes un-noticed.

Solar can keep the batteries topped off, but will not provide enough power to run 2,000 watts (unless you have 2,000 watts of panels up there pointed directly into the sun). Solar recharges batteries, and assuming you use a little power here and a little there then 200 watts (not 2,000) solar can keep up, but if you use more than the panel is supplying (mayb on one 150 watts from a 200 watt panel) then u are still cycling the battery from charge to some level of discharge so using up the battery lifespan.

By your reasoning,all golf carts should have gas engines because frequent cycling of batteries will over the years cause the batteries to die. But why do most carts run on batteries? More and more campgrounds are restricting Genny hours. Many of these true deep cycle batteries have 500 cycles which depending on how often you camp and charge your batteries, could last anywheres from 5 years to eight before replacement. At $200 for 2 6v GC2 over 5 years is only $40/ year. We dry camp most of the time without running the Genny and it is because of hard working, deep cycle batteries, an inverter, plenty of solar and some charging when driving.

Dave
2016 F350 Diesel 4X4 CC SRW SB,
2016 Creekside 23RKS, 490W solar, 2000W Xantrex Freedom 2012 inverter, 4 6V GC-2 (450AH)
2006 F350 CC 4X4 sold
2011 Outfitter 9.5' sold
Some Of Our Fun:http://daveincoldstream.blogspot.ca/

crosscheck
Explorer
Explorer
jplante4 wrote:

We have the same set up except a PSW inverter. Run a 1200w Micro and 950w hair dryer with ease( but not at the same time).

Dave
2016 F350 Diesel 4X4 CC SRW SB,
2016 Creekside 23RKS, 490W solar, 2000W Xantrex Freedom 2012 inverter, 4 6V GC-2 (450AH)
2006 F350 CC 4X4 sold
2011 Outfitter 9.5' sold
Some Of Our Fun:http://daveincoldstream.blogspot.ca/

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
jplante4 wrote:
I have 4 GC2s . . . and a 2000 watt MSW inverter and the microwave is iffy. I don't even try the hair dryer at 13 amps (AC) continuous.
Something's wrong. A couple of voltage/current checks should quickly narrow the problem down to bad/discharged batteries, a bad connection, use of too small of cables from batteries to inverter, and/or a defective inverter.

FWIW, I've seen 4 GC2's power an HE Coleman-Mach 13.5k BTU a/c using a low frequency 2000w PSW Aims inverter. The inverter was connected to the batteries using 2 ft. long 4/0 cables.

ajriding
Explorer
Explorer
If you are new to RVing then consider an alternate power source. If you only camp once per year then no biggie, batteries will die of old age before you can consume them, but using batteries to power up heaters, hair driers, ovens or other high power appliances will cost you a lot in batteries eventually.

btw, discharge to 50% is not going from 12 volts down to 6 or 7, check the charts. Down to 11 volts is a dead dead battery and past 50% discharge.

Inverters are dangerous in that they will run down your batteries quick. Batteries only have so many cycles of charge/discharge before they are no longer able to be charged back. GC batteries are superior to Marine Rv batteries and can take more cycles, but all will succumb to cycling to death.

From more of a full-timer or part-timer RVer standpoint:
A small 2,000 watt generator is little less than double the price of the two batteries, but should last forever. You just put gas into it.
By comparison, If you charge your batteries off your alternator then you are still putting gas into having available power it just goes un-noticed.

Solar can keep the batteries topped off, but will not provide enough power to run 2,000 watts (unless you have 2,000 watts of panels up there pointed directly into the sun). Solar recharges batteries, and assuming you use a little power here and a little there then 200 watts (not 2,000) solar can keep up, but if you use more than the panel is supplying (maybe 150 watts from a 200 watt panel) then u are still cycling the battery from charge to some level of discharge so using up the battery lifespan.

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
jplante4 wrote:

Are you sure you aren't adding the Ah capacities to arrive at that? Std. Trojan T-105 batteries are 225Ah each. Connecting them in series would give you a 12v 225Ah battery. Or do you have an L16 sized battery?
2022 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2520 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
jdcellarmod wrote:
I'm planning on having 2-6 volt batteries with a 300 amp hour rating. ... I do not have room for 4-6 volt batteries...I'm not opposed to using 12 volt batteries.
Your 6v batteries are rated *each* at 300ah? Most I've ever seen is around 220.

Some here believe that 12v batteries are better for high-amp inverter applications. Perhaps some big 12s would be better.

2-6v batteries will be a struggle with a microwave.

For a 300ah rating each would have be 300ah. Connected in series the amperage doesn't double just the voltage.

If a 6v battery was rated at 300ah, 2 in series would make a 12v 300 ah battery. Conventional wisdom is to discharge only to 50% for better cycle life so in the end you would have a 12v 150ah usable amp hour capacity

Discharging at a .3C rate would be about 1200 watts which should be ok with a battery bank that size.
2022 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2520 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
2oldman wrote:
jdcellarmod wrote:
I'm planning on having 2-6 volt batteries with a 300 amp hour rating. ... I do not have room for 4-6 volt batteries...I'm not opposed to using 12 volt batteries.
6V L16 is even larger at 445.

For the OP... some get by on 200/300 amp hours and run a microwave but it will be marginal. Might get an alarm if the batteries are cold in the morning and a bit low from running the furnace all night.
Give it a go if that is all that fit. Worst case get a Panasonic inverter microwave where it actually heats at a lower power setting as selected instead of just cycling the megatron on and off.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Low voltage alarm is not killing the inverter yet.
I had 1500W toaster on my boat with single (and small) battery and 30 amp alternator.
The 1200W inverter would work for about 2 minutes before low battery alarm would come (I used it with engine running, so 30 amp alternator was charging) and after about additional 7 minutes, the inverter would shut off, but most of the time the food was hot by then, so this did not bother me much.
On boat cooling was good, so it will be different in camper, but I think my set was quite extreme?
The 6V golf-cart batteries proved themselves to be the best bang for a dollar, so I would go for it.
From listed items - hairdryer will be the biggest power draw. Once you do small test with it, you know where you stand.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
jdcellarmod wrote:

Some here believe that 12v batteries are better for high-amp inverter applications. Perhaps some big 12s would be better.

2-6v batteries will be a struggle with a microwave.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman