Explorer
For truck or trailer
"But if not"
"Nevertheless"
9 REPLIES 9

steve68steve
Explorer
Explorer
To me it looks like a "because I can" thing. It's an aluminum box with nothing in it. As a trailer mount or detached I guess it makes some sense, but as a TC I think you could do a lot better with a cap/ camper shell.

If I were a single guy in my 20's, that's how my TC would manifest: a shell with a pad in the bed to sleep on, a cooler, a flashlight. Cheap, light, utilitarian. I don't see what the Firefly would buy me over that.

As an old married guy, I have no interest in a TC in which a 2AM pee-mergency requires either shoes, or an empty bottle.
2013 Travel Lite 960RX
2001 Ford F350 Diesel Super Cab Long Bed

Axle
Explorer
Explorer
Great concept; it would've been perfect for me in my younger days.
2007 Chevy Ext. Cab 4x4 SB D/A
2005 Outfitter Apex 8
Torklift, Ride Rite Air Bags
1993 Sea Ray 24' Open Bow

67avion
Explorer II
Explorer II
I enjoyed looking at the concept described by its developer as "a camper and a tool box, inside and out. In NASA parlance it is a habitation module."

I particularly liked the design for the awning, though it is unclear to me exactly how it works and if it is stable in winds.

I'm welcome to innovation and experimentation in truck camper design. In my opinion the barriers to young people, in terms of costs, are entirely too high. And the problems with design and construction, at whatever cost, are too extensive.

If we want a robust world of truck campers, we need to think outside the Taco. And that's what this young fellow is doing.

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
Interesting concept, use it as a TC, or tow it on a flatbed with a small car. I like it. A bit too bare bones for me...but I like the idea. With a liitle work you could have a stove, sink, toilet to really make it worthwhile...
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
I clicked on the link above. All I got was a creepy animated "TAXA Firefly" logo, and my computer hung for about 5 seconds.

Back when I was a rookie in the IT world, before the days of firewalls, my servers were attacked by a hacker who used a similar logo.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Not very impressive especially since there isn't a separate sleeping area. A box isn't that hard to build.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

punomatic
Explorer
Explorer
mkirsch wrote:
If that website is legitimate, it needs some work.

It really looks like a malicious website. All I saw was an animated graphic for "taxa firefly", which looked really creepy. Really it felt like it was saying "wait here while I trash your computer."

Not sure which website you went to, but I thought the TAXA website was nicely done. It is spartan, just like the product. It gave enough information for me to understand this product, which is obviously still in the development stage and not ready for prime time.

I thought the concept was interesting; not especially new, but interesting. This looks to be an aluminum tent. If you like tent camping, you'll probably like the Firefly. If it rains, you'll probably like it better than a tent. It's not for me, but I can picture people using such a thing.
DW and Me
2016 Riverside White Water Retro 195
2014 Nissan Titan SL Crew Cab
Formerly, I used to work for the department of redundancy department.

Life in Black and Blue

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like it belongs on a mission to the moon! I guess people who really like to rough it may like it.

Edit:
Ahh, he use to work for NASA.
YouTube Video
Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
If that website is legitimate, it needs some work.

It really looks like a malicious website. All I saw was an animated graphic for "taxa firefly", which looked really creepy. Really it felt like it was saying "wait here while I trash your computer."

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.