cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

97 Dodge 2500 diesel known problems?

4bearhug
Explorer
Explorer
My son is looking for a older truck for work as has found a 97 Dodge 2500 w/ Cummins diesel that might be in his price range. I thought some of you might have some idea what likely repairs he would have or the owner has already done? This would give him some idea what he might be expecting down the road. Truck has 133k miles. Also if you have any idea of estimated costs of potential repairs, please share that as well.

Thanks for your assistance. I know there are quite a few Ram loyalists on here.
22 REPLIES 22

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
jimmyfred wrote:
..........Friend has 2001 2500 cummins , 188k miles had complete front end work done ~$2,000 . His Track Bar still had problems ! , jf

Tell him to bag the factory track bar. Get a 3rd gen adjustable and be done with it.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

jimmyfred
Explorer
Explorer
..........Friend has 2001 2500 cummins , 188k miles had complete front end work done ~$2,000 . His Track Bar still had problems ! , jf
2003 Chevy 8.1 Dually 2Wdr.
1999 Travel Supreme , 33 RLSS
20K Reese , Prodigy etc.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
blofgren wrote:
4bearhug wrote:
rhagfo wrote:
4bearhug wrote:
OK, here is the update to the story. The truck is a one owner, and does appear to run fine. The paint is really faded/gone on hood and roof. The AC works, but not really that good. All in all it's a decent truck for the age. The real stumbling block for my son is the fact that there is no access to the back seat except thru the two front doors. My son wants to use this for hauling/securing tools for construction and he just sees this being a real pain to get stuff in and out of. He lives in an area where you can't keep tools in the bed w/ a topper/tonneau. Also he is thinking about trying to get a car seat back there will be a real hassle.

So at this moment he is considering whether the good points outweigh the bad points. The price is non-negotiable, but that really isn't the issue for him. I think he was shocked to find this out as he never dreamed that a truck would have a back seat w/o having a separate door.

Really!! :S

a 18 year old one owner Ram Cummins with only 133,000 miles. I think he could learn to live with it.

Yeah, he could learn to live with it, but the thing is he doesn't really need a diesel or a 2500. He just needs an PU with an oversized cab and 8 ft bed that's in reasonable mechanical condition. So the benefit of the low mileage diesel is less useful to him than someone who is towing sizable loads regularly. He might still go for it, but based on his needs it's not such a no brainer as it might appear.

You would be hard pressed to find a truck that will be as reliable mechanically and as good on fuel as that one. I wouldn't hesitate for that price.

The 97 12V is an entirely MECHANICAL diesel, way simpler and far less expensive to repair/ maintain than the new electronic units.
A complete set on injectors is less than $400, no electronics in the injection pump. Can I say extremely simple and reliable, this is the million mile Cummins of legend!!

I may be PMing you for the sellers info if you don't want it, so I can get for my daughter to tow her GN horse trailer, so she will quit borrowing my 2001.

Empty/not towing that truck will get better than 20 mpg on the highway!!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
4bearhug wrote:
rhagfo wrote:
4bearhug wrote:
OK, here is the update to the story. The truck is a one owner, and does appear to run fine. The paint is really faded/gone on hood and roof. The AC works, but not really that good. All in all it's a decent truck for the age. The real stumbling block for my son is the fact that there is no access to the back seat except thru the two front doors. My son wants to use this for hauling/securing tools for construction and he just sees this being a real pain to get stuff in and out of. He lives in an area where you can't keep tools in the bed w/ a topper/tonneau. Also he is thinking about trying to get a car seat back there will be a real hassle.

So at this moment he is considering whether the good points outweigh the bad points. The price is non-negotiable, but that really isn't the issue for him. I think he was shocked to find this out as he never dreamed that a truck would have a back seat w/o having a separate door.

a 18 year old one owner Ram Cummins with only 133,000 miles. I think he could learn to live with it.

Yeah, he could learn to live with it, but the thing is he doesn't really need a diesel or a 2500. He just needs an PU with an oversized cab and 8 ft bed that's in reasonable mechanical condition. So the benefit of the low mileage diesel is less useful to him than someone who is towing sizable loads regularly. He might still go for it, but based on his needs it's not such a no brainer as it might appear.

You would be hard pressed to find a truck that will be as reliable mechanically and as good on fuel as that one. I wouldn't hesitate for that price.
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

4bearhug
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
4bearhug wrote:

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
4bearhug wrote:

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

wcjeep
Explorer
Explorer
Most 98's had 4 doors. There were a few 99's that had only 2 doors with the extra cab.

Rear facing baby seat isn't too bad with the 2dr extra cab. Having to buckle a forward facing baby seat can be a pain.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
That is why my two 98 12Valves are sought after trucks. New style interior, last year of the mighty 12 Valve and yes 4 doors!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

4bearhug
Explorer
Explorer

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
Buy the truck!
Puma 30RKSS

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
4bearhug wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
Biggest problem with a 97 Dodge diesel is everyone thinks they are the best truck ever and they are typically overpriced. If you found a good deal, get it.
And the stuff mentioned above.

Would you say $4500 is overpriced?

Paint is very faded/peeling on hood and roof. Seats and carpet showing lots of wear/tear. It appears to be mechanically sound, but not a show vehicle by any stretch. It's an extended cab, Auto, with 8 ft bed.

I paid $4,500 for my 98 5sp 12Valve and put an additional 2K into it and the body is not great.

My friend that is a steal!

boogie_4wheel
Explorer
Explorer
Read

http://mopar1973man.com/
2005 2500 Cummins/48RE/3.73, QCLB, 4wd, BigHorn, Edge Juice w/ CTS + Turbo Timer,Transgo Shift Kit ISSPro Oil and LP pressure gauges, GDP 20/2 filters, Custom Diesel Steering Box Brace
'10 Forest River Shockwave Toy Hauler 21'
Honda EU3000I Genny

Mote
Explorer
Explorer
I bought my 1996 Dodge five years ago. It had 272k miles when I bought it. I took the time to go thru all the typical issues for that year of truck. Some things I replaced even thou they didn't need it yet just for a peace of mind. The only issue I've ever had on the road was the alternator went out.

Here's the things I fixed/replaced when I bought it.
All belts and hoses
thermostat
tabbed the killer dowel pin
rebuild leaking vacuum pump
rebuild weak starter
batteries
set the valve clearance
changed all the fluids
adjusted transmission bands
tires
brakes
shocks
front wheel bearings

I did all the work myself. Most of the engine parts I got from Genos' garage or Larry B.

the truck has been rock solid even in the coldest winter days.
2005 Dodge 3500
2001 Lance 1030
2006 Cougar 29RL

4bearhug
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Biggest problem with a 97 Dodge diesel is everyone thinks they are the best truck ever and they are typically overpriced. If you found a good deal, get it.
And the stuff mentioned above.

Would you say $4500 is overpriced?

Paint is very faded/peeling on hood and roof. Seats and carpet showing lots of wear/tear. It appears to be mechanically sound, but not a show vehicle by any stretch. It's an extended cab, Auto, with 8 ft bed.