cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

About to purchase preowned Lance 1161 questions, new to TC's

thejustin
Explorer
Explorer
Ok folks, new to the board here and completely new to truck camping so apologize for the newbie-ness ๐Ÿ˜›

Sold my 5th wheel, going to a TC to simplify things (got tired of paying $125 a month to park my 5th wheel in town at a storage yard while not in use). Getting ready to buy a gently used 2005 Lance 1161 truck camper but had several questions as this TC will be my first and I am absolutely clueless on the subject.

I have a new 2012 F350 DRW with the 'camper package' so my truck should be stout enough. The seller is hauling on a 95 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW with no airbags or anything of that sort and he his not sagging at all so will need to hook up and see how she sits before determining if I want to add airbags or something similar. 99% of the time it will just be me in the camper solo so there is going to be plenty of room.

Onto the questions:

1. Firstly, is the price. I see that NADA values for TC's vary wildly from what the seller's generally ask for and I have read the values are generally not as accurate as say the value given for a trailer as opposed to the given TC value. We have agreed upon a price of 14,500 which includes delivery to my door since I don't have my tiedowns yet (getting Torklift tie downs installed later this week). The standard NADA average retail is 13230 so it seems pretty close. The only option I noticed was missing was the onboard generator. The compartment was wired for the genset but he was using an external portable generator instead. Everything was essentially mint, no problems with leaking, delamination, or sagging floor/slide problems (which I have read a problem on pre-2005 lance 1161 models). Just curious if you guys thought that was a fair price for an 05 1161.

2. Does anyone have a ballpark estimate on how much it would cost to add a onboard genset with indoor push button start? I'm guessing it was a 2.5K Onan LP genny, will find out tomorrow. I have a portable Yamaha 2K inverter/generator but would be nice to have the indoor push button genset for those quick occasions where you need to use the microwave or something of that nature.

3. Is there any place inside that is structurally sound enough where I can mount a swiveling flat screen TV mount? I know the walls on my 5th wheel were flimsy as can be and wouldn't trust mounting a flatscreen on there, but I've seen several campers that have these small swivel mounts on theirs, just curious if anyone with a 1161 would chime in on this area. Notice there is a 12V receptable right by the dinette so would be a perfect spot for a smaller 12V LCD/DVD combo.

4. Is there any thing I should pay particular attention to in doing my final inspection before the sale? He says everything is in good working order and the camper looked fantastic, but I know there can be hidden issues. When I bought my 5th wheel I didn't check the frame carefully and ended up having the rebuild the entire frame and suspension. Don't want to overlook something like that on this TC, but as I said this will be my first so don't know if there is anything in particular I should check.

5. My RV store is telling my I need an additional 7 pin power receptacle in my truck bed. I already have one inside the truck bed for my 5th wheel application but it is at the rear of the wheel well. My question is, can I use like an 8 foot 7 pin to 7 pin extension cable and place the extension towards the front of the wheel well rather than paying 200+ bucks for the second 7 pin receptacle to be installed? Seems like a waste to drill another power plug when I already have one at the rear.

Overall was very impressed with the camper, its amazing when you are standing inside and then you realize all that stuff is sitting inside the box of a pickup truck...... I know the Lance name is a reputable company as well. Was close to pulling the trigger on a 'Fleetwood Caribou' 11J but I have read some horror stories concerning that particular brand so would prefer the Lance. While I am mentioning that I should throw out I can purchase a 2001 Caribou 11J which is in equally outstanding condition for 9000. Does that seem like a good price? This Lance will be about 5,000 more but it is several years newer. Opinions??

In any event, if anyone has any ideas or tips I would greatly appreciate it. Looking forward to truck camping. Loved hacing the spaciousness of my 5th wheel but I will not miss driving that thing in tight spots and parking that sucker in crowded campgrounds!!!
49 REPLIES 49

sleepy
Explorer
Explorer
After a few times you won't pay that much attention to the space between the fenders and the jacks... they just help you line up.

And.. try leaving your camper on the truck this time... It's safer on the truck... every one has a CH751 key... and you'll be amazed how handy the fridge and bathroom will be.

I've never taken mine off except for maintainence... 1007 nights, none in campgrounds. I'd park and level where I was fishing... and stay!!!
2003 Lance 1161,/slideout/AGM batteries/255W Solar/propane generator/Sat dish/2 Fantastic Fans/AC/winter pkg
AirFoil, Trimetric, LED lights, Platcat vent heat

2003GMC K3500 LT/Crewcab/duramax diesel/allison/dually/4x4/OnStar/front reciever mounted spare

thejustin
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, leaving tomorrow morning for my maiden voyage. Will be fishing the Kenai & Russian rivers for Salmon all week long ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

Questions:

1. Is there any way to increase the swing out distance of the front electric jacks? I've got the standard dually swing out jacks on there already but the flares on the new generation F350/450's are *HUGE*. I have maybe 1/4" to 1/2" on each side when loading, it is extremely tight and nerve wracking. Would love to get some extra space, even if it were only an inch or two on each side, would be extremely helpful.

2. I have heard you are not supposed to leave the camper unloaded on its jacks and then be inside. Is this correct? My campsite this weekend is about 15 minutes away from where I will actually be fishing. I was going to dump the camper and just take my truck out to the river but wasn't sure about this. Do you need to rest it on cinder blocks or something of that nature? If so, I'll just leave it on the truck. I thought about that "Stable Lift" system I have seen which supposedly alleviates that problem but that ground clearance looks iffy and honestly, I think it looks a bit awkward, but hey, if it works, it works.

Got her all loaded up with food and my camping supplies. I am sure once I get down there I will realize I forgot something. Last time I went camping I forgot the remote control to my media box so no movies! Guess I should focus less on movies and more on fishing, right? ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

thejustin
Explorer
Explorer
Appreciate all the replies. Will definitely pay close attention to the maintenance needs. Have my first trip lined up this Monday, it will be a week long stay down in Kenai fishing for salmon and trout so I am very excited.

Did my first "mod" today. Seller had a single GRP29 battery in there, I removed that and added two GRP27 batteries, gaining almost a 100 additional amp hours which will help a bit in dry camping. Also noticed the exterior storage is nowhere near as ample as my 5th wheel so I was thinking about my gas can for the generator. Used to have a really nice (but big) metal 6 gallon can I carried with me. I bought a few smaller 1.25 gallon mini gas cans that fit perfect in the storage compartments.

Still need to do the 12V outlet. Just got my TV today, it is a 22" 120hz 1080p TV, good picture quality and it has memory card and usb slots with a built in DVD player so decent functionality. That is about the biggest TV I can fit in the compartment, have to angle it in diagonal but once you pull the TV tray out you can orient it any way you choose. Anyway, when you are sitting in that bed and the 22" is right in front of your face, it looks like a big screen ๐Ÿ™‚ Works fine in the dinette 12V plugin and it also works fine in my Black & Decker jump start powerpack gizmo. Will see how long I can play it off that thing, will have to make do until I can get another 12V outlet put in the TV cabinet.

tommykelly
Explorer
Explorer
It seems truck campers and airboats have strong opinions...

sleepy
Explorer
Explorer
tommykelly...

your post. You are very accurate... and not offended about short comings...

The advantages far out weigh any short comings.

I tell the truth... about whe weaknesses

I wouldn't trade my 2003 lance 1161 for any other TC out there... and for sure not any other RV out there... none.

All owners should know that we have to maintain and repair all RV.s.

I have to fix things at the house sometimes... and tires and brakes have to be replaced on our vehicles....

I think that the only people that whine and lie are the ones that never owned ones they are bashing...
2003 Lance 1161,/slideout/AGM batteries/255W Solar/propane generator/Sat dish/2 Fantastic Fans/AC/winter pkg
AirFoil, Trimetric, LED lights, Platcat vent heat

2003GMC K3500 LT/Crewcab/duramax diesel/allison/dually/4x4/OnStar/front reciever mounted spare

skipbee
Explorer
Explorer
We have had excellent service from our 2005 1121 a little smaller and lighter that the 1161. It was the largest unit we could carry on a SRW truck, the US Park Service at Assateague Island, Maryland does not allow dually's on the beaches, yet.

These units all require periodic maintenance, particularly on the roof and side seams, and around the marker lights etc. Those who fail to keep up with it pay dearly! Look for bumps and raised bulges, swollen spots which may indicate water intrusion. As well as brown or discolored stains around the ceilings and interior walls. It is not unreasonable to have it surveyed by an experienced technician, it could save a bundle!

We have the Onan 2500 propane generator, it has been excellent. It is imperative to exercise it at least monthly, running it with a load for around an hour. A used gen with low hours should be avoided, they wear worse with little use. I expect a price in the $3500.00 range installed. The Onan is a little more compact than the Generac which has an engine and separate inverter. Both should be able to run the air conditioner. We have found our generator to be VERY helpful and convenient.

We also have struts from the front of the camper to in front of the windshield, that reduce porpoising on certain roads, Lance recommends them and carries the fittings for various models of pickups.
skipbee
2004 F350 Diesel CC SRW 19.5" Rickson W/T 4WD
2005 Lance 1121 well found.
See us on YouTube" Living the Lance Life" 3 of 4. Google skip bosley for TR's: Alaska, Assateague Island, Disney World & Fla Keys and a California Coastal jaunt.

tommykelly
Explorer
Explorer
I bought my 1161 new in 2002...I know it is not the best year model...poor dealer..no support..put it on the truck and get out of my sight!!..no longer a Lance dealer.

I did not watch the sealing so..but I floundered around learning as I went along.

did the "Sleepy Fix" a few years ago under the slide...keep an eye on that...

I did find a location for the complete motor and gear assy. for the slide for 250 bucks if ever needed..so far so good...no problems

just a loose wire on my generac caused me headaches (no support) until I just got a little stool sat down and took a deep breath..found a loose wire...exercise gen regularly ...
re-sealed rear windows...replaced front outside window got it directly from Lance...replaced control boards on Refer, hot water heater (Atwood)..
Now...the 1191 is a huge advance..in my opinion..I picked up one for a friend..
the base that sits in the bed of truck is much larger..the bathroom..onan gen.a big plus...
more room for batteries...storage...
I know it is heavier..but could not tell on my "early 99 powerstroke crewcab dually.
I know it is not cheap...but airbags and compressor..there is a small volume of air in system..so temp. changes will change pressure. watch for under and over inflation....pinching and blowout is the reason..
no problem so far.

even after all these years..I don't like taking it off and on the truck...but that is just me.

I have an exhaust brake..but that is just me also...

just remember...take your time..watch the curves..leave early..and don't tailgate..

I tow a 15 foot airboat ...I stay in the right lane and enjoy the ride

From Georgia over the years..
I have gone to Auburn, Indiana ..to the Auburn Cord Dusenberg parade.
Up-state New York...Citroen Auto meet.
3 trips to Abilene, Kansas...Deadwood South Dakota
many trips to Cocoa,Fla., Panama City, Fla.

I have not been around the other brands of truck campers..Georgia is not one of the big states for truck campers...

Planning a trip out west this fall...overall I have enjoyed mine..and am aware of the shortcomings

good luck to you.

SpknTC
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats!! Your combo looks fantastic!! I love that layout.
Ford F450 6.7L PSD DRW 4X4
Arctic Fox 865

spacedoutbob
Explorer
Explorer
Congratulations! Absolutely Great Looking Truck and Camper.

Bob in Calif.
Good Sam Club Life Member

bedrocker
Explorer
Explorer
Looks good very nice ๐Ÿ™‚

Mr_Bojangles
Explorer
Explorer
Hello THEJUSTIN:

Have you weighed your RIG? Have you estimated the weight of "camper" and
understand what you can safely add to camping trips?
SAFBVET.....

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
sweet set up, very nice purchase. I'm sure you will have a lot of fun with it.
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

thejustin
Explorer
Explorer
jimh425 wrote:
Nice combination. Congrats. I don't know if is an optical illusion, or is the back really that low?

If you look at the driveway you can see it is sloped so it looks low when I am backed in like that. Stock suspension sags a little so I have a service appointment in two weeks to try the Torklift stableloads out, if that doesn't work, its air bag time. it really doesn't sag like that when I am parked on flat land.

Truck handles great, have just left it on the past few days and driven the truck to work without a problem. MPG is a bonus, I know it's not what the diesel folk are getting but I am getting about 10 MPG with the truck camper and that is mixed city. My last trip out with my 11K 5th wheel I got 7.8 MPG pure highway mileage, and gas/fuel prices here in AK are ridiculous @ ~ 4.20/gal for premium octane so that will be a nice savings since I camp so often.

thejustin
Explorer
Explorer
jimh425 wrote:
Nice combination. Congrats. I don't know if is an optical illusion, or is the back really that low?

If you look at the driveway you can see it is sloped so it looks low when I am backed in like that. Stock suspension sags a little so I have a service appointment in two weeks to try the Torklift stableloads out, if that doesn't work, its air bag time. it really doesn't sag like that when I am parked on flat land.

Truck handles great, have just left it on the past few days and driven the truck to work without a problem. MPG is a bonus, I know it's not what the diesel folk are getting but I am getting about 10 MPG with the truck camper and that is mixed city. My last trip out with my 11K 5th wheel I got 7.8 MPG pure highway mileage, and gas/fuel prices here in AK are ridiculous @ ~ 4.20/gal for premium octane so that will be a nice savings since I camp so often.