cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

ac maintaniance

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
not sure where to put this so I'm going here. My ac is leaking water after running in the heat for a long time. assuming the drain is blocked. I will be getting up there this week to clean things out and assess what the issue is. I have never done this. Does anyone have any tips for how/what/where I should be doing? Thanks.
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....
6 REPLIES 6

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use compressed air to blow out my roof top condenser on my AC. What ever you use be careful to not bend over all the little fins attached to the tubes.

I agree with Traver8 you probably not be able to oil the motor bearings.

Traver8
Explorer
Explorer
Be careful with the hose if you are trying to clean the evaporator, you will have a straight shot down into the trailer. Also, do not be surprised if you cannot do much with the motor bearings. You will likely have easy access to only the condenser side and they are either bronze sleeve bearings or sealed ball bearings.

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
As others have said - clean the drip holes in the drain pan located under evaporator. If your going up to remove the shroud you might consider spending additional time and clean the evaporator coils - they tend to be ignored by many/most because they are hidden by a metal shroud (which requires removing a dozen or so screws). A clean evaporator will improve the overall performance of the air conditioner.

Another possibility is that the air conditioner gasket is old or needs to be tightened. Lots of threads on how to do that - but don't over tighten the gasket.

Hope this helps.
Kevin

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
ok thanks guys. figured the plan would be to clean the pan and maybe open the holes up a bit then hose down the fins and change the filter.

ill grease the motor bearing while im up there (would have missed that one)? just some white grease or anything special?
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Unplugged (of course), hose off the aluminum "fins" and oil the motor bearings. That's about all there is to maintain after you clear that blockage.

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
Assuming the AC is leaking on inside of RV, the likely culprit is clogged drain pan.

If your a DIY kinda person you can get up on the roof and remove the AC shroud and inspect the drain holes around the pan for blockage and clean as necessary.

Also inspect for cracked seals while your up there.