Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Add exterior lights-

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
edit:
Well long post got caught in "Im not a robot reCAPTCHA" loop- tried to fix and it blew up...
re-posting as split post...
Thanks to deltabravos for his recent thread for getting this back on the radar.
Though he went thru the access panel I realized utilizing the space behind refer I could get wires both outside
and inside. One of the reasons wanted outside lights, among others, is to check why refrigerator isn't on- light
the water heater or any numerous things that don't seem to happen or don't remember until its DARK.
Don't usually light up the outdoors but light when needed or wanted nice with the flick of a switch.

Add exterior lights- Part 1 (post split due to "captcha")

Added exterior 'porch' LED lights to the sides of our camper.
A Round-to-it, where I wanted outside I could not mount and hide the wires exiting camper thru wall.
Recent thread mounting lights on Refrigerator vent cover caused me to realize simply using that space,
between refer and outside wall I could locate without wires visible, have access to power, easy access for inside
switch. Also going thru back of wardrobe closet same, access to power, wires hidden and easy to place switch.
Neither location optimum placement outside but solves why this got put on the 'list'.

With simple where to mount plan, I then decided really would like the switches in same spot inside, regaining
some complication. Also the lights I have include on/off switches. Being able to also turn on from inside or
outside could be convenient so using 3-way switches. Allows turning on or off from inside or at the light.

Drilling thru side of refer compartment would let me place switches easily at dinette seat wall, however I have
access over top of refer to get outside. Placing switches into existing fan switch box on face of slide be easier
to access and I really don't want to cut holes in dinette wall or 'see' switches. The existing switch box couldn't
get any uglier.

There is also power at switch box so I can tap power, add switches, run the cables over top of refer, down for
one light between vents, with another cable running all the way down under dinette seat where I can go thru
slide floor and all the way around to wardrobe closet. Other than snaking one cable from refer round to other
side of the camper think I spent more time thinking about this.

So before I thought of something else I 'could' do, removed the switch box and added interior 3-way switches.
At top of refer is small bumpout box. In it can access the gap between top of refer and slide ceiling. Its where
wiring connection will be made. From there Cable easily pushed thru to outside.

Pulled cable thru upper vent. Guesstimated location (about 7'6") and drilled 1/4" hole for cable. I could reach
hole thru upper vent to poke cable thru, cut leaving about 6". Then cut off inside at switch box w/about 12" extra
and pushed 2nd cable thru.

Pulled it thru and down to bottom of refer cabinet. Drill a hole thru side to enter cabinet on left which is the end
of dinette seat box. From there go thru slide floor and route to wardrobe on other side of camper- tomorrow.
Looped remaining cable for now. Getting ready to rain decided to install refer light to get sealed up.
Remounted the switch box, connected new cables. I was wrong, did get uglier...
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com
5 REPLIES 5

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I like the dark. Its one of the reasons I camp. โ€œPave over paradise, put up a lit parking lot.โ€
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
Add exterior lights- update

Just at camp...

Moonless night no flash. Nice, no stumbling around or flashlight.
Can easily see into outside compartments or walk around to truck.

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
Add exterior lights- Part 3

Ended up removing switch box, and installing another pilot.

Single pilot worked fine as far as alerting to outside light on-however due to 3-way switches not obvious which
light on so could end up flicking switches back and forth till right combination, funny....
Another hour to thwart effort to save a dollar pilot lamp....

Now were done.

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
Add exterior lights- Part 2

To the lights replaced the on/off with on/off/on. Ideally on a fixture controlled at 2 locations with 3-way switches
you would use a on/on SPDT. However these are direct replacement fit, cheaper and more readily available in
rocker switch form. Plus is from inside can kill power to either path-minus is 1st time one switch is left in center
off position defeats the 3-way option. At minimum outside switch should be on/on so it cant be set to off. I'll just
need to remember fully turning to one on position or the other. Likely address later.
I also added diode on pilot feed as originally set up both switches using single pilot.
I used 4 wire 16ga stranded cable, (ground, 2 hot leads and return for pilot).

Drilled pilot holes for mount screws. In know some folks cringe drilling camper...also using wire nuts, though
temporarily, mostly trying to beat the rain.
Applied some caulk, sealing wire and screw holes, bead around top & sides of light and mounted.

Refer side mounted. @7'6", About 2" higher than wanted due to decal but can still reach.

Turned on

Hokey Smoke! Only rated at 280 lumens but that's bright. Played with the switching, nice.
Then it started raining...

Next day
Only took 2 hours to get cable under slide, across water tank, around thru back of cabinets to wardrobe.

Nice fuzzy picture but cable thru to outside. Measuring thought I'd end up higher behind closet but this worked
out better, lower behind drawer, as I didn't need to remove the closets false wall to access.

Mounted. Thought I took a picture of 5 more drilled holes ๐Ÿ™‚ but didn't. This side, as wasn't racing rain clouds,
solder and shrink connections. Just need to redo other side.

These cheap lights just amaze me. Again rated at 280 lumens, just seem brighter. Accept 11-18 volt input, I
measured 0.2 amps on.
Come with amber and clear lens probably use clear. This light is at a more reachable 7'3".

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
This is my upgrade

Exterior lighting upgrade on my AF 811

On my TT:

Exterior lighing upgrade option 2
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator