cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Adding built in USB ports

Reality_Check
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hate all the cords; hate AC to USB charging adapters and then having to be plugged in to get them to work. Hate climbing into the one cabinet that has a 12v charger... Fact is, our life is using more and more of these things. Our flash lights and headlamps charge on them. Our phones, my MyFi, our bluetooth speakers, etc.

Installed this a couple of months ago. Love it. Simple, clean, and very much uncluttered (as much as cords can be). Wrestled a bit with the 'where', but came to the conclusion that ease of install along with being easily accessible was the driving factor. Wanted it fused, so the end location was a snap decision.

Standard remodel box after cutting the hole:

Had room for another fuse:

Routing wires was a breeze:

And the finished job:
'16 F550 CC, 4x4 with Link Ultraride air suspension, '18 AF 1150. Just so we can play with our snowmobiles, dirt bikes and fishing boat. And new 20' tag along...kayaks, bikes, mc's and extra water and food!!
19 REPLIES 19

GAR2
Explorer
Explorer
Lol - Sorry.....not to change the subject, I was looking at the USB thread to get ideas for my truck as the older trucks, as with the campers, didnโ€™t come with the USB ports either.
In the market to buy a T/C
2002 F350 4wd CC DRW 8โ€™ box
Load Lifter 5000 rear air bags, front Timbrens
Rancho 9000 shocks
Brighton, Illinois

GAR2
Explorer
Explorer
AnEv942 wrote:
Kohldad-Legrand wiremold surface mount boxes would work 1, 1 ? or 1 ยพ " deep- most hardware stores.

I looked at your โ€œcamper pageโ€ and noticed to are happy with the Rancho 9000 shocks. Thatโ€™s what I installed on my F350 but donโ€™t have my T/C yet.......curious what setting (#) you have on your shocks set on? Thanks!
In the market to buy a T/C
2002 F350 4wd CC DRW 8โ€™ box
Load Lifter 5000 rear air bags, front Timbrens
Rancho 9000 shocks
Brighton, Illinois

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
The only thing I have against these built in usb ports,is there not the new smart technology ports for fast charging on the newer phones....My Pixel 2XL takes one certain charger and my IPad,takes a completely different one..That's why I take a portable power bank for quick charging.

In the Geek world,there is some disagreement on having to use the factory charger that came with your phone to get the most out of you phone battery..Also only charging to 80% and not 100%....Just like the RV battery and it's little perks..lol
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nice install, Reality_Check! Your post got me thinking about adding a few USB ports to our '19 NL 8-11. Just went out to our camper this morning and discovered there was a USB port hiding on the very bottom of all our reading lamps near the dinette and bed. I was under the impression they only started installing these on the 2020 models. Pleasant surprise to say the least.

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
Keep an eye on the USB specs. I believe you want at least 2.4a each. Adaptive fast charging is nice as well.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
I got one with a new stereo by Pioneer.

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
I used a common 12 volt double USB plug.
Link to outlet on Amazon
I dislike the added LED that the world seems to crave as I'm usually boondocking. While it's a few dollars more than an illuminated plug this was the only non illuminated one I could find. I used a 1 1/16 hole saw and mounted it in the bedside table cabinet. The back of the plug protrudes into the pass through storage though it's up high and out of the way. I ran a wire up the corner of the trailer using a self stick cord cover from home depot and tapped into an overhead cabinet light.
Here's the link to the self stick cord cover.
Link
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
I don't know what OP used but similar is Magnadyne WC-USB-B 12V Wall Mount USB shows 1.88 deep. It does not really need to be mounted in a box, protruding thru wall into space would minimize depth of surface box needed, maybe 1 3/8". I'd add a switch, also states standby power use @40ma.
edit: Ha type too slow...
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

Reality_Check
Nomad II
Nomad II
kohldad wrote:
Do you have a part number for the usb outlet? Was wondering how thin it is because I would love to put one on the bottom side of a cabinet but only have 3/4" once I cut the hole.

A bit thicker I think..

"Magnadyne WC-USB-B 12V Wall Mount USB Charging" was what I used. I think a partial surface mount box, as others suggested, might get you there.
'16 F550 CC, 4x4 with Link Ultraride air suspension, '18 AF 1150. Just so we can play with our snowmobiles, dirt bikes and fishing boat. And new 20' tag along...kayaks, bikes, mc's and extra water and food!!

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
Nice job!

I have thought about doing the same, but I had one of the portable units I was using in my Class C that works fine for my needs..I have a couple portable battery banks for cell phones or whatever to charge stuff where ever I am without being in an RV..

This is what I use now because I already had it..I put it on one of the three batteries I currently have in the wheel wells and I also use it for my CO2 fans/Cpap or anything that uses 12 volt/cigarette lighter style...

I like the way you did yours...
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

RickLight
Explorer III
Explorer III
kohldad wrote:
Do you have a part number for the usb outlet? Was wondering how thin it is because I would love to put one on the bottom side of a cabinet but only have 3/4" once I cut the hole.

Everything I've seen is 1.5" or more. You can use a surface box if sticking out several inches is OK.
Rick,

2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 273MK
2015 Ford F350 CC SB Lariat Powerstroke
PullRite Superglide

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
Kohldad-Legrand wiremold surface mount boxes would work 1, 1 โ…œ or 1 ยพ " deep- most hardware stores.
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
Nice upgrade. Looks like an AF 990
Bob

kohldad
Explorer
Explorer
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)