cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Adventurer 901sb

Fish_mojo
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at hard side, non slide, mid-bath campers. The Adventurer 901SB fits the bill. In their words The 901SB fits 6ft and larger short-bed and all 8? long-bed trucks.

Since I am stay out from scratch picking a truck and camper set up (moving from a class c), is it better on one of these short bed compatible TCโ€™s to get a SB crew cab, or a Ford supercab long bed? Iโ€™m not wanting the extra length of a Crewcab Longbed.

Any other recommendations on non slide mid bath?
AF 865
Others?

Thanks.
12 REPLIES 12

zzyzxpat
Explorer
Explorer
Same here in SoCal. i ordered it, a XLT with a couple options, keeps the price down as well.

mbloof
Explorer
Explorer
Fish mojo wrote:
zzyzxpat wrote:
BTW the AF 865 has way more storage than ant of the other non slide campers. Ours is on a F350 SC, not a crew cab.

Iโ€™m leaning towards this AF865/ F350 SRW Supercab 7.3 gas combo. Can you post weights and pictures?

Just a word of warning, you may have to special order a truck with a Supercab as all the dealers in my area (PNW) have only ordered crew cabs and standard cabs (been like that for years!).

- Mark0.

Fish_mojo
Explorer
Explorer
zzyzxpat wrote:
BTW the AF 865 has way more storage than ant of the other non slide campers. Ours is on a F350 SC, not a crew cab.

Iโ€™m leaning towards this AF865/ F350 SRW Supercab 7.3 gas combo. Can you post weights and pictures?

zzyzxpat
Explorer
Explorer

zzyzxpat
Explorer
Explorer
We have an AF865 on a SRW F350 and love the mid bath and the view out the back. Heavy, yes, but it drives fine. This is our 3rd camper. I highly recommend the AF, very well built.

sonuvabug
Explorer
Explorer
Fish mojo, we have an older 2007 Adventurer 90FWS on an 8' truck bed. They re-introduced the exact same floor plan, only as mirror image, in their 2019 50th anniversary edition truck camper and called it the 901SB ... the model you've referenced. It features lots of up-to-date materials, electronics and extras being a special edition. Appears they went all out. Google Adventurer 90FWS for lots of information, videos etc. on the basic "bones" of the 901SB.

We thought this "repeat performance" was a real testament to AMLRV who got it right the first time and re-used what was once one of their more popular floorplans. The 901SB is also a non-slide unit like ours and we love the layout with mid bath; full basement; storage areas; the camper quality is good and it offers a north south bed ... something we've really come to appreciate since the east/west bed set up in our first RV - a Class C.

You can not look out the rear door of our Adventurer 90FWS though ... both upper and lower windows have "frosted glass' and we actually prefer it that way. Good privacy but still lots of natural light coming in too. It is a bit of a climb up but we have a series of "stairs" we've perfected using an RV step and a couple of aluminum work platforms.

Our 90FWS is heavy and long. I can't believe they say it's OK to put it in anything shorter than an 8 foot box. I certainly wouldn't. I'd really want to check that out beforehand.

Regardless, I'd also consider stepping up to a full ton truck with the 901SB. Our 3/4 ton 2001 diesel F-250 SuperCab with 8' box handles it fine but if you go strictly by the numbers, the full one ton trucks give you more capacity (wiggle room) on paper. SRW is fine ... you don't need a dually unless you want the extra stability and safety "insurance".

I just posted a couple of pics with our unit mounted in one of the other threads on "7.3 trucks" if you want to see what it looks like on a 8' bed.

Pics of our F250 7.3 diesel setup with our Adventurer 90FWS

Happy to provide other insights ... just ask.
2007 Adventurer 90fws Truck Camper
2001 FORD F250 SuperCab; 8' box; 4x4, 7.3l diesel, rear Sumo Springs

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Other than the obvious difference in c of g of the camper vs rear axle in short bed vs long bed, there is no โ€œbetterโ€ its personal preference aside from that one thing.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have had two AMLRV truck campers and have only good to say about them. We currently run an Eagle Cap 850 SB camper on a LB truck and wouldnโ€™t have it any other way. The extra storage is invaluable. If they let us post pics here I would.
PM me your email and we can talk more/send pics.

Bill
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
I'm a huge fan of the Adventurer 901sb and Arctic fox 865 non slides..That new Wolf Creek really looks promising,I was hoping Lance would come out with a similar instead of what they did..

As the op said,I like the view from all three of these non slides and the Wolk Creek is quite a bit lighter with the same floor plan..
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

Fish_mojo
Explorer
Explorer
Cassette toilet, no thanks. My want for a mid bath is I like the open concept and views out the back. Iโ€™ve had a AF990 and donโ€™t care for the bath right as you walk in.

MORSNOW
Navigator
Navigator
Fish mojo wrote:

Any other recommendations on non slide mid bath?
AF 865
Others?

Thanks.

The Wolf Creek 840 and the new Wolf Creek 890
2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD 7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
Both of the campers you mentioned are among the better built. They are also quite heavy. Especially if you want to go short wheelbase, I would definitely be thinking about dually.

I am not sure why you want the mid bath models. If it is a matter of convenience getting up to use the br during the night, it hardly matters. A rear bath is only a couple of steps further back. I am very happy with the wet bath located at the back of my Northstar Igloo. When we step out of the bath to dry off and get dressed we are in the rear entryway instead of the kitchen area. We thought about getting a curtain in that area but it does not seem worthwhile for just the two of us.

In addition to the weight of the models you mentioned, I have two other concerns. First both are basement models. It is a long way up and a long way to fall if you make a mistake. I really do not like basement models for the high stairs needed.

Second, I really like a cassette toilet and would never want a model without one. If you check some past threads on cassette toilets you will find that is generally true for everyone who has one. It makes dumping a lot, lot easier for those of us who travel in more remote areas.

Anyway, if you reconsider on the mid bath, I recommend you take a look at Northstar campers. They are built to last, not flashy but well engineered with tried and true designs, and they are relatively light weight and have cassette toilets.

I do agree it is wise to avoid slides. Most of them don't give you much, weigh a lot and worse some make the camper unusable with the slide(s) in.