cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Advice On Toyota Forerunner Towing ?

Ductape_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
My son has a 2013 Toyota Forerunner with a 4.0L and 5,000 lb tow capacity. He has been looking at the Micro Minnie 1706fb trailer with a dry weight of 2980 lb. If he keeps the gross trailer weight at around 3600 lb would this be a safe weight to tow and controllable or is it asking to much?

Thanks!
2016 Coachmen Clipper 17BH
2016 Toyota 4Runner SR5
6 REPLIES 6

TrailerTravele1
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2006 4 Runner, 6 cyl and towed a Lance1685 (3800 dry wt)over 10,000 miles with it last year. My husband said we could buy a travel trailer to see the National Parks, but we had to find one that our current vehicle could tow. I wrote a blog post about it here:

http://trailertraveler.net/towing-travel-trailer-with-a-6-cylinder-4-runner/

Is it optimal? Maybe not. Is it safe? If you're flexible about routes and weather.Would we rather have a different tow vehicle? Probably.

Given that the OP is referencing a trailer 1000 lbs dry weight lighter than ours, I'd think it should be fine, with the correct weight distribution hitch & vehicle towing configuration.
Cheers! Jan & David

Just returned from our First "Snowbird" Winter ... 25,000 miles, 26 states, 23 National Parks ... and counting....

TrailerTraveler.net

bilrod
Explorer
Explorer
I tow a 23ft tt with a 2007 V6 4liter 4Runner. Over 10,000 miles with no swaying or handling problems. Being a short vehicle, the ride can be choppy on some roads, but I accept that. The 23ft. tt & 4Runner are a good match and it works for me. I installed a transmission cooler when the 4Runner was purchased.

RinconVTR
Explorer
Explorer
bgum wrote:
Just be aware that the hitch on the 2013 isn't suitable for weight distribution. A hitch made for Lexus IS and will fit the 4Runner. With the proper hitch and sway control that combination should work well together.

Eh...lots of debate and assumptions made about this.

Manuals vary from print to online and multiple people claim to call Toyota directly and get the ok. Toyota claims they have nothing in writing to say otherwise. Inaccurate manuals? Believe the person on the phone? That's for the owner to decide.

But the worst is everyone assumes because one style hitch is not bolted directly to the frame, its instantly not suitable for a WDH with spec tongue weights. That's just hogwash IMO.

But the debate ends with a hitch change, one that is mounted to the frame. Except people then think its ok to ignore the owners manual and assume the new hitch ratings are now the new tow ratings for the 4runner. They are not. The frame mount hitch will only give you peace of mind, not a high towing capacity.

OP - I think you'll be fine, and I would absolutely use a WDH if you'll be towing any distance. People are always amazed how much better towing is with a WDH, and a 300-400lb tongue is more significant for the 4runner than you may think.

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
It shouldn't be a problem.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

Santa_Fe
Explorer
Explorer
I towed my current HTT with an '08 4Runner (with the V8). I had no problems with stability, sway, etc...it was a really stable combination. I was over all kinds of different terrain with that setup; highways, two lane blacktop, winding mountain roads, all without a hiccup. Once setup properly, you shouldn't have any problems with this setup. Good luck!
TV: 2015 RAM 1500 Outdoorsman Crew Cab
5.7L HEMI V8
4x4

TT: 2016 Keystone RV Springdale 260LE

Have Yorkie, will travel.

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Just be aware that the hitch on the 2013 isn't suitable for weight distribution. A hitch made for Lexus IS and will fit the 4Runner. With the proper hitch and sway control that combination should work well together.