cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

After market exhaust brake reliability and effectiveness

Travel_glampers
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2009 Silverado 3500HD Duramax DRW. It did not come from the factory with an exhaust brake. The reviews are mixed on aftermarket systems (BD and Banks). What experiences have others had with these and other systems?
27 REPLIES 27

byronlj
Explorer
Explorer
BD Diesel here on my 07.5 Duramax variable vane. Works great.
byronlj
2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3800RL

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
C Schomer wrote:
You're lucky if you DON'T have a VGT and you don't want one either. Get an in-line exhaust brake. I've had a Pac brake for several years on a previous truck and now a BD exhaust break for a few years and they both work great. It also sounds like the electric operated brand works well too. I want on board air no matter what so I use the compressed air operated inline brakes. Craig

But he does, so whatโ€™s your point?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Not sure Iโ€™ve ever seen or heard of anyone adding a traditional exh brake downstream of a vvt.
Of course could be done physically and be operational, but itโ€™s not common
Get a module, plug it in, take the easy route and enjoy a nice exhaust brake function without ever touching the exhaust or doing any re-wiring.

And yes I would absolutely do it.
The 3 big advantages of a diesel pickup are fuel mileage, more power and exhaust brakes. $500 is money well spent on a module to get the most out of your setup.

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
You're lucky if you DON'T have a VGT and you don't want one either. Get an in-line exhaust brake. I've had a Pac brake for several years on a previous truck and now a BD exhaust break for a few years and they both work great. It also sounds like the electric operated brand works well too. I want on board air no matter what so I use the compressed air operated inline brakes. Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

Travel_glampers
Explorer
Explorer
Which type of system is better: one that uses an on board air compressor and butterfly valve, or an electrical module that changes the angle of the vanes in the turbocharger?

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
No one has answered your question because theyโ€™re talking about actual add on exhaust brakes.
If you werenโ€™t aware, you dont need an exhaust brake. But rather a tuner to utilize your VVT as an exhaust brake.
Canโ€™t say which one is best but Iโ€™m certain they all work fine and similarly and theyโ€™re all from the primary companies that produce these products.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Joppy wrote:
I"ve had a Banks brake on my 95 power stroke for 17 years. Still works perfectly.

I have bought Banks products in the past. They are very high quality. BUT they are very high cost. There are other products on the market that work just as well.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Joppy
Explorer
Explorer
I"ve had a Banks brake on my 95 power stroke for 17 years. Still works perfectly.
1995,F350,DRW,Diesel,Banks Power Pack,exhaust brake,smart loc. Gauges, Hayden tranny cooler
1995 Alfa Gold

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
2008 I had a US Gear D'Celerator electric actuated 4" exhaust brake installed on my 2007 Dodge 3500 5.9L CTD

Small PC Control Box with an on/off switch
HD Solenoid closes the 4" Butterfly....2" bypass butterfly modulates/controls back pressure at 59# MAX

Has been flawless since.....

BEST mod I have done to the truck!
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
ScottG wrote:
I've had a PacBrake on my truck for 15 years with no problems at all.

Thatโ€™s who I was going to suggest also. Great customer support.

I make for a trifecta for PacBrake, some of the best money I spent on the 2001 Ram 2500!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
ScottG wrote:

Thatโ€™s who I was going to suggest also. Great customer support.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad

Jim-Linda
Explorer
Explorer
I have a BD installed on a 1996 Cat 3126 and in that time I have replaced 1{one} air valve. I leave the switch "on" all the time which really extends brake life, mine are hydraulic. Air is used to activate but I am sure latest units have other means.