cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Air bag question

dpgerson
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Guys, it's been years since I posted on here because oh, well, to make a long story short my girlfriend insisted on a fifth wheel which we purchased. The hardware needed for the fifth wheel in my f350 managed to puncture one of my airbags that I had installed when I bought the truck to hold my alpenlite 12 and 1/2 foot Cheyenne. I want to go out on the road again, but I don't want to have the airbag fixed yet. I will have it fixed and probably have the 5th wheel Hardware removed, but for now I just want to get going.

So here's my question. Do I run the risk of damaging anything if I run with the airbags deflated? Is there any other reason not to go out with the airbags deflated?
2004 Alpenlite Sante Fe 11.5 with slideout
2006 F350 V10 with camper package and air bags
10 REPLIES 10

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Ok, focus folks....
OP, your post is lacking a bit in information.
Presumably you don’t “need” the airbags installed prior for a different setup as suspension capacity for hauling the 5ver. If this is a correct statement then the only potential issues would be bottoming out harshly with the 5ver IF the bags don’t have internal bounce bumpers. (Because the bags replaced the factory bump stops).
If you were using the bags to maintain ride height or help carry the load then presumably you wouldn’t have asked the question and known that you need them.

You do want/need some sort of bump stops though unless your 5ver is so light there’s no real chance of bottoming the suspension out.

You mention the 5vr hardware put a hole in a bag. Just thinking out loud, but if it’s the bolt end, could you remove the offending bolt(s) and reinstall them the opposite direction or even replace with a rounded head Allen screw type bolt?

If you don’t need the bags at all for anything, I’d just pull them and put bumpers or sumo springs in to act as bumpers.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
Assuming the rest of your OE suspension is still in place you should be good to go.

That 5th wheel “hardware” did you a favor.

Air bags suck for hauling TC’s.
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

slider45
Nomad
Nomad
Interesting features of the "jounce" tech.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
jounce... ah ok. Learned a new word.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Jounce.... I was close.. you got the idea

HERE - airlift with Internal jounce
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
ford truck guy wrote:
There are some that have an internal joust that will prevent airbag damage when running while deflated.
Joe
Joist?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

dpgerson
Explorer
Explorer
Guys I don't care about the airbags. One of them is already damaged. Eventually I'll get them replaced and have the 5th wheel Hardware removed. I'm wondering if it can damage either the truck or the camper.
2004 Alpenlite Sante Fe 11.5 with slideout
2006 F350 V10 with camper package and air bags

Moving-on
Explorer
Explorer
Just as an aside to that. I bought airlift brand airbags for this issue. Their marketing leads you to believe that their bags can be run flat. HOWEVER, the manual still recommended 5psi, even with the internal jounce guard. I was going to add the wireless one compressor to remedy this, before someone broke in and stole it.

srschang
Nomad
Nomad
I'm on my 4th set of Firestone airbags, I installed new airbags each time I bought a new truck for the last 15 years. I've always run them with zero pressure when I didn't have the truck camper loaded, and never had a problem. But I only keep my trucks for 3-4 years, so I don't know about long term damage.

Scott

2022 Ram 3500 Dually Crewcab Longbed Cummins, 2019 Northstar 12 STC

There are some that have an internal jounce that will prevent airbag damage when running while deflated.
If you do not have internal jounce, the bags could be damaged when the suspension bottoms out onto the collapsed bags.

Most will state that the minimum psi is 5#

Joe

** edited for improper spelling, grammar, and anything else wrong ! :B
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet