cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Air Cond set to "auto" or "on"?

hogcard
Explorer
Explorer
So today we downsized, trading on our Cougar 29RLS for a new Jayco 24T. During the service walk-through in the new TT, the serviceman specifically said to always leave the AC on auto and high fan.

It was my understanding reading several topics on this in past that you should always have the AC set to "on" instead of auto to keep air moving at all times.

He said if we do this, the condenser will not cycle like it should and will freeze up. I thought just the opposite. I thought having the AC cycle on a off did not allow enough air to circulate thus causing condensation and freeze up.

What do I do? The wife likes the auto and I like always on because I like the noise of the AC running all night and drowning out noise, etc.
21 REPLIES 21

Cuffs054
Explorer
Explorer
Old wife's tale says leaving evap fan "on" pushes moisture on the coil back into living space when comp shuts off.

rwstinson55
Explorer
Explorer
Fan on means the air keeps moving. Great for equal temps in the house,, but brings heat from ceiling down. During the day the auto setting. Night time for white noise. The rep at the dealership has no clue. The warm air moving through the coil will actually melt any ice that has formed

wbrown62
Explorer
Explorer
We run ours on auto during the day as well and in the on position at night, just as others have said, for the white noise. Drowns out most of the screaming kids, barking dogs and drunk adults........and your ac will cycle as normal in the on position, its just the fan runs continuously.
2011 Keystone Bullet 246RBS
2000 Chevrolet Silverado

Rescuebub
Explorer
Explorer
As stated earlier, the auto/on switch only controls the air fan, not the compressor. The compressor will cycle on the room temperature at the same rate in either switch position. I personally turn the fan to the on position when it gets extremely hot outside to help eliminate any hot spots inside my 32' trailer by causing constant air circulation. Otherwise, during regular outside temperatures, I leave it in auto mode. The only things that will cause freeze ups are a dirty sir filter (gets dirty faster with the constant fan operation) or trying to have the interior temperatures in the 60's or colder.
11 Jay Flight G2 32BHDS
2008 Silerado 2500HD 4X4 Z71 6.0L, 6sp.
Reese Dual Cam, Prodigy

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
So if his wife aint happy, them i'm not happy?! OK, but it really doesn't bother me because I'm happy at another campground! :B
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Squealers
Explorer
Explorer
Take control of your wimmin and run it how you want to. If you need me to step in and handle the situation, I will the next time we are camping. I will stand outside your window making moose mating sounds. I bet she turns the fan on faster than you can say "I'll get the gun." ๐Ÿ™‚
2006 Four Winds Hurricane 34N
2014 Jeep Cherokee 4X4 Toad

USAF Veteran. 75-81 SAC "Giant Talk" ATC-
Combat Crew Communications

Squealers = Steelers & Arkansas Razorbacks Fan

hogcard
Explorer
Explorer
haha. If wife ain't happy, nobody happy...

peirek
Explorer
Explorer
hogcard wrote:
I like the white noise also, and just like you guys, in my Cougar we ran on "auto" in the daytime. Never froze up on us at night running on "on". But since my wife heard the service guy say this, I am going to have a hard time getting her to allow me to run "on" at night anymore.

This sounds like a personal problem stemming from deeper issues..... :B
Paul & Lisa
2010 GMC Denali 6.2L with Integrated Brake Controller and backup camera.
God bless the backup camera! It's kept us out of marriage counseling.
2009 MVP RV Coast 26LRBS
Hensley Arrow
TST TPMS

wannavolunteerF
Explorer
Explorer
When I bought my new TT 1 1/2 years ago, my Jayco dealer told me to use it however I felt comfortable. I use mine on auto during the day and ON at night. I need the air moving to sleep comfortably. I couldn't find the right temp setting with it just on auto at night, it would either be too cold when it was running or too hot when it wasn't. The fan running constantly gives me the same feeling as my ceiling fan running in bedroom in S&B.

My Jayco dealer is a small town, Jayco only dealer and has had the business for a number of years. The owner personally sold me my TT, and sold and serviced RV's for both myself and my parents over a number of years. I don't believe he would tell me something that would create issues for me.
2015 FR Georgetown 378TS

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I understand wall thermostat air conditioner has a freeze sensor that will cycle the compressor if needed. Although it seems common for oem to poorly install the sensor and people have troubles. It is accessed from the inside if you would like to inspect. Sensor should be in or on the evaporator coils.

I use the auto setting.

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
The AC will cycle, only the fan will stay on.

Farm_Camp
Explorer
Explorer
"He said if we do this, the condenser will not cycle like it should and will freeze up. I thought just the opposite. I thought having the AC cycle on a off did not allow enough air to circulate thus causing condensation and freeze up."

Ummm... Not if the unit is maintained and in good working order. Unless maybe you are running it when it's in the 40s or 50s I guess.

Use it the way you want and are most comfortable. A unit freezing is a sign that something is wrong (dirty, airflow blocked, maybe a referigerant leak, bad fan.) a unit in good working order in most normal conditions won't freeze.
TV: 2010 F250 XLT 4X4 SC SB 5.4L 3.73 - "The Blue Monster" (2013-2018) Traded at 100K
TV: 2017 F250 XLT 4X4 CC SB 6.7L PD 3.31 - "The Silver Streak"
TT: 2014 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 329BHU

Our Story...
Places we've camped

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
We keep ours on auto during the hot weather

Jack L
Jack & Nanci

hogcard
Explorer
Explorer
smkettner wrote:
Wall thermostat or ceiling controls? What brand air unit?

Wall thermostat. Not a digital...yet. I will be switching it out. I already put the camper in storage. Didn't get he model of AC unit. Seems like the regular 13,500 unit.