cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

airtabs

bnardini
Explorer
Explorer
I was surfing the web and came across these gizmos called Airtabs. They sound like they are the answer to all your prayers. Does anybody have any experience with them?
Bill & Lori Nardini finally on the road!
2008 Tundra SR5 doublecab
2009 Jayco 31 RKS G2
21 REPLIES 21

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer
pianotuna wrote:
mobeewan wrote:
Maybe Airtabs with nitrogen in the tires and dryer sheets you could get say maybe 50 mpg improvement.

Only if you light the dryer sheets on fire and then drop them down your pants.

Now your talking beans first. That would get some hydrogen for a little added thrust.

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
profdant139 wrote:
Here's a link to a NASA study of Airtabs:

NASA

The real issue is cost vs benefit. For long-haul truckers, even a fractional increase in mpg justifies the expense. (And yes, we often see trucks with Airtabs.) For recreational RVers, it is a closer call -- how many miles would you have to drive in order to break even?

However, if the Airtabs not only increase mpg but also improve handling, then the cost may well be justified. That is a matter of personal preference.

you do know its about 200 bucks CDN to do the back of a travel trailer . we spend more money on lawn chairs ๐Ÿ˜‰

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
The problem with any of this stuff is payback.

If you are putting aero gadgets on your trailer is like putting lipstick on a pig.

A trailer is super dirty aero wise. If you fix one thing there are 50 more things you can't fix. The wings we saw in the 70's were a prime example. How many wings do you see anymore? There is a reason.

This Caterpillar study show what is big in fuel savings As you can see, the way you drive your rid has the biggest fuel savings. Up to 20%. That's a very large savings. Route can be up to a 20% savings too. Between route and how you drive you can save a lot of fuel.

If you want to save fuel the best way is to slow down and drive sensible and pick the best route.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
mobeewan wrote:
Maybe Airtabs with nitrogen in the tires and dryer sheets you could get say maybe 50 mpg improvement.

Only if you light the dryer sheets on fire and then drop them down your pants.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

mobeewan
Explorer
Explorer

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
To me they look like Naca Scoops used on aircraft, we used them on helicopters. I'm not an Areo guy but I think a Gurney flap on the trailing edge of an air foil on top of the rear cap might have a greater effect. We used this on the Horizontal stabilizer of the S-76 model. It is hard to compare the higher speeds of an aircraft to an RV traveling at 60 mph but I'm sure it would at least keep the rear window clean. Kind of like ram air/CAI on a MH it adds more HP mostly from cooler air very little from the ram effect unless you go 100 mpg plus but still worth doing.

bnardini
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the input everybody. Got nothing better to do this winter. Might install some and see what happens. The NASA article was very interesting.
Bill & Lori Nardini finally on the road!
2008 Tundra SR5 doublecab
2009 Jayco 31 RKS G2

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here's a link to a NASA study of Airtabs:

NASA

The real issue is cost vs benefit. For long-haul truckers, even a fractional increase in mpg justifies the expense. (And yes, we often see trucks with Airtabs.) For recreational RVers, it is a closer call -- how many miles would you have to drive in order to break even?

However, if the Airtabs not only increase mpg but also improve handling, then the cost may well be justified. That is a matter of personal preference.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
TravelinDog wrote:
Airtabs are nothing more than snake-oil designed to lighten your wallet.

That is not my experience with them. I would buy them again--unless I could find something better.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
air tabs work, but dont expect a mirical. my buddy ut them on his 5th wheel and picked up 1 mpg, but noted the biggest improvment was in the handling when passing a rif or in high winds. they basicly work like vortex generators on a planes wing tips, this disrupts the airflow and reduces the low pressure drag area behind the trailer which reduces the drag. depending on what your towing they can make a big difference or a little difference. I would suspect the lowest fule milage in crease would be on a conventional trailer and the best on a truck camper. the trailer has two large drag zones, one behind the truck and another behind the trailer so you would have to fix both to get a biger increase. the camper only has one. a fith is inbetween as the nose of the trailer is closer to the truck reducing the size of that drag area.

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

TravelinDog
Explorer
Explorer
Airtabs are nothing more than snake-oil designed to lighten your wallet.
Just say no to the payload police :C

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
bucky wrote:

Also yes. What do you think those giant vertical and horizontal flaps at the loading doors are on semi trailers for?
You can always tell an owner operator, they will have them deployed. A company driver will not take the time as it's not his dime.

They are not the Airtabs, they are something that actually works.

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
msmith1.wa wrote:
joshuajim wrote:
Large trucking companies spend large amounts of money to gain a tenth of a mile per gallon. Have you EVER seen Airtabs on a semi?

Yes

Also yes. What do you think those giant vertical and horizontal flaps at the loading doors are on semi trailers for?
You can always tell an owner operator, they will have them deployed. A company driver will not take the time as it's not his dime.
Puma 30RKSS

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

I also am happy with my air tabs. I had handling improvements similar to IAMICHABOD.

They improved the noise level inside my class C quite dramatically.

They do make a difference on mileage--but ONLY when you are traveling in the same direction as the wind.

Mine have been in place since 2012 and only one (on the fridge cap) has fallen off.
Regards, Don