Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Andersen Hitches

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone using an Andersen Hitch? http://www.andersenhitches.com
What do you think of it?
How are they compared to the Equal-i-zer hitch?

I have been using an Equal-i-zer hitch and like it. Now that I will be purchasing a new trailer, I will have to upgrade the capacity of my hitch. Although I am satisfied with my Equal-i-zer, the Andersen hitch caught my attention. Never hurts to investigate new designs.
10 REPLIES 10

Hornnumb2
Explorer
Explorer
Just ordered one of these for my trailer, 19ft shamrock. I tried the 2way equalizer but I think with my light tongue weight it was alot of overkill. I really dont need the weight hitch my truck barely drops not even a full inch loaded. I will be taking a trip with it on the 20th and will report back. Michael

djsamuel
Nomad
Nomad
cougarfan wrote:
I'm looking at this hitch as well. I have a single-axle trailer and am wondering if the Andersen will help with the bounce that comes with one axle. I have an EAZ-Lift WDH now but it doesn't do much to smooth out the ride.

Thanks
Laura

Your situation is similar to mine. My Andersen hitch has been perfect for this type of application; plenty of tow vehicle and smaller trailer.

2013 Camplite 21BHS Trailer, Ram 1500 Tow Vehicle

cougarfan
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking at this hitch as well. I have a single-axle trailer and am wondering if the Andersen will help with the bounce that comes with one axle. I have an EAZ-Lift WDH now but it doesn't do much to smooth out the ride.

Thanks
Laura
2014 Chevy Silverado 1500 Z71
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 246RKS
Traveling with Harley, my Tibetan Spaniel
GO COUGS!

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
I have used both, and for the heavier trailer you intend to buy, I agree with your choice. I liked the Andersen just fine with my Highlander and 2700 lb TT, and liked the Equal-i-zer just fine with the Mountaineer and 4000 lb Rockwood. I just didn't feel comfortable using those sturdy, non-flexing bars on my Highlander.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you, all for your detailed replies.
I am satisfied with an Equal-i-zer hitch, but it doesn't hurt to investigate other designs and read fresh replies, along with searching old threads on any subject.

As I will be moving up from a 5500 GVR trailer to a 7500GVW trailer, I will be staying with an Equal-i-zer brand hitch.

handye9
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lynnmor wrote:
I don't like the way that the chains pull on the brackets. Seems to me that the brackets might skid forward or damage the frame.

The skidding possibility, is addressed in the installation instructions. There are a couple different ways to prevent skidding.

I am using an Andersen hitch. As mentioned (here and in other threads), it is a little soft on restoring weight to the front axle. It does however, meet the specs recommended in the owners manual for my truck.

Features I like the most are:

Lite weight
Quiet
No grease or oil to get on my clothing
18 Nissan Titan XD
12 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Wife and I
Retired Navy Master Chief (retired since 1995)

djsamuel
Nomad
Nomad
Mine works great for controlling bouncing and sway. But, as others have said, it is best for lighter weight trailers with adequate tow vehicles. The strength of the Andersen hitch is not weight distribution, but more sway and bounce control. Results in a very smooth towing experience. The GVWR of my trailer is 5,000 pounds, and I'm usually running around 4400. If you're looking for more weight distribution than you are getting now, I don't know if the Andersen is the best way to go, although I would highly recommend it in some applications.

2013 Camplite 21BHS Trailer, Ram 1500 Tow Vehicle

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Hundreds of pages of information available on here and Airstream forums. They work very well with adequate or more than adequate tow vehicles. Not so well if every ounce of front axle weight restoration is necessary.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
I don't like the way that the chains pull on the brackets. Seems to me that the brackets might skid forward or damage the frame.

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
Most people seem to be pleased with it for smaller trailers. I have seen several not able to get enough tongue weight transferred on heavier ones. A quick search brought up lots of posts
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley