cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another Towing Question

ttugurl
Explorer
Explorer
We just purchased a Puma 28BHSS, which has GVWR 9063 lb. Unloaded Weight 7513 lb.

Our vehicle only towed 9100lbs so we traded and purchased a newer F150 with their newer towing capacities:

3.5L V6 CYLINDER ENGINE
Upgraded Front Stabilizer Bar
Dead Weight Hitch - Max Tongue Wt. (lbs): 500
Dead Weight Hitch - Max Trailer Wt. (lbs): 5000
Maximum Trailering Capacity (lbs): 7000
Wt Distributing Hitch - Max Tongue Wt. (lbs): 700
Wt Distributing Hitch - Max Trailer Wt. (lbs): 7000

3.5L EcoBoost V6 375 @ 5,000 470 lb.-ft. @ 3,500 13,200 3,230

We know F250 would have been a better choice, but it would have been too much truck when we aren't using.

We are new towers. Should we be worried or are we safe? Our RV came with a free hitch but we upgraded for the better sway bar/hitch.
34 REPLIES 34

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Welcome to the forum!

Your numbers are contradicting, and the tongue wt, with WDH seems low. You need numbers for your exact truck, rather than possibly brochure numbers? It was good to upgrade the hitch to better quality and sway control.

Your tire loading sticker, on the door jam will give payload not to exceed XXXX. That and your RAWR number about 4,000? Your receiver hitch, on your truck will give true weights, maybe 600/1200 without/with WDH? There will be a sticker on the receiver.

Your towing wt of 13,200 is not for a high walled big front TT, but for a flatbed, loaded with sandbags or blocks.

A loaded TT, weighing 9000 lbs is a huge load for any 1/2 ton truck! Most, would not want to tow more than a 7,500 lb loaded to camp TT.

Your loaded TT hitch wt should be about 12% of total, so at say 8,500 lbs, loaded to camp, will be 1,020 lbs, plus the weight of the WDH, so near 1,100 lbs on your receiver.

Hope this helps, but keep asking, while providing real numbers from YOUR TRUCK.

Jerry

LadyRVer
Explorer
Explorer
If I am reading your post correctly, your Max. towing weight is 7,000 and your trailer is 7513..unloaded?

I tow right at 5,000 with a 1500 and it is doable. At 9,000 #'s, I definitely would want a 250 or 2500. Just my opinion.

ttugurl
Explorer
Explorer
No Mountains! Short 3hr trips to Texas Coast a handful of times a year with longer stays during summer.

I don't understand the numbers. In my mind 13200>7400 by a huge margin.

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
Ask yourself some questions to answer your question:
1. What parts of the country are you doing most of your Rving in i.e. mountains with steep grades or mostly flat areas. Do you have an exhaust brake system for mountain grades?
2. how often do you RV? week ends, once a month, do you stay out for weeks or months at a time?

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Just looking at YOUR numbers, you have answered your own question!

You will be over the max trailer wt, the max tongue wt.

A 250 would be needed for that trailer, for best towing, and to stay within ratings. Will your new 150 work?? Maybe, but not safely, being that far over ratings.

Jerry