cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another Towing Question

ttugurl
Explorer
Explorer
We just purchased a Puma 28BHSS, which has GVWR 9063 lb. Unloaded Weight 7513 lb.

Our vehicle only towed 9100lbs so we traded and purchased a newer F150 with their newer towing capacities:

3.5L V6 CYLINDER ENGINE
Upgraded Front Stabilizer Bar
Dead Weight Hitch - Max Tongue Wt. (lbs): 500
Dead Weight Hitch - Max Trailer Wt. (lbs): 5000
Maximum Trailering Capacity (lbs): 7000
Wt Distributing Hitch - Max Tongue Wt. (lbs): 700
Wt Distributing Hitch - Max Trailer Wt. (lbs): 7000

3.5L EcoBoost V6 375 @ 5,000 470 lb.-ft. @ 3,500 13,200 3,230

We know F250 would have been a better choice, but it would have been too much truck when we aren't using.

We are new towers. Should we be worried or are we safe? Our RV came with a free hitch but we upgraded for the better sway bar/hitch.
34 REPLIES 34

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
That info a bit more accurate. 🙂

The 1524 cargo capacity will be reduced by anything added to the truck, and at least 1,000 lbs tongue wt, plus wt of WDH. So say 2 passengers plus dog 300 lbs and 200 lbs gear and other. You have now reached your GVWR of truck.

The RAWR is important and shows 3,800 lb capacity. If your truck full of fuel, passengers, gear, etc, has a scaled rear axle wt of say (guessing) 2,600 lbs, you would only be able to add 1,200 more, before going over RAWR.

So...while your truck has the power to tow much more weight, you are at the very limit of carrying/payload capacity with that trailer.

That will not be the best experience for a beginner, towing to the max or maybe even a bit over your max capacity. Don't forget to check the actual sticker attached to the receiver hitch! It may read max with WDH 1,000 lbs, which you may exceed a bit.

Will your truck break, wheels fall off, if a bit over?? Probably not, and there is always someone even more overloaded, and it works for them.

Hope you understand, why the numbers don't always work, for all types of trailers. Lots more things to consider, than it will pull XXXXX lbs. 🙂

You will want to air tires on truck to near max pressure on rear, when towing that heavy, and likely 40 or so lbs in front tires. Your sticker shows 35 psi.

Hope you get it worked out, and can enjoy a fun camping, and towing experience.:)

Jerry

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Google "model year F150 TOWING GUIDE"

You will find the information you need, but it depends greatly on which on of several different tow packages you have !

ttugurl
Explorer
Explorer
Tire and Loading Information

The combined weight of occupants and cargo should never exceed: 1524lbs.

Front:275/55R20 113T
Rear:275/55R20 113T
Spare: 255/70R18 113T

240KPA, 35PSI each

ttugurl
Explorer
Explorer

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
ttugurl wrote:
NEW NUMBERS: SORRY, THIS IS FROM EXACT VIN:
Wt Distributing Hitch - Max Trailer Wt. 5000.0 min 12700.0 max
Wt Distributing Hitch - Max Tongue Wt. 500.0 min 1270.0 max
Maximum Trailering Capacity- 5000.0 min 12700.0 max

Dead Weight Hitch - Max Trailer Wt.5000 lbs 5000.0 min 5000.0 max
Dead Weight Hitch - Max Tongue Wt.500 lbs 500.0 min 500.0 max

I'll post pics in the evening! Thanks for the information, thus far.

From the VIN or from the hitch?

The truck has a tow rating and the hitch has a tow rating.

What year and what does the yellow payload sticker on the door say. That will give us a better idea of what you have. It might be OK but near the trucks capacity but the numbers are still not making sense.

Too late now but next time get the 3/4 ton. There really isn't a big difference driving them around without the trailer compared to a high payload 1/2 ton pickup.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Within the numbers I guess but why push a half ton truck that far? In wind I think you'll regret it.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
That's a big ol camper for an F-150. From your post, it sounds like you bought a used truck. The only F-150s set up to handle it would have to be ordered with Max Payload, and Max Tow, and those are so rare, I'd be shocked if you have that set up.
You are really in 3/4 ton territory.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
trailer_newbe wrote:
Unfortunately Puma trailers are known to be heavy trailers. Anyone mention a 28’ or longer Puma, thats 3/4 ton territory in my opinion. When the trailer weighs considerably more than the truck and will be over 30’ long physics take over, no matter what 1/2 ton you have.

Based on your handle, I'll assume you're new at this towing thing too...at least you qualified your post with it being your opinion. Thank you for that.
Yes a F250 would be MORE stable. Yes a 350 wouldn't even know theres tongue weight back there and a dually would manhandle the trailer like arm wrestling an 8 year old girl.
BUT a well equipped half ton will tow that length and weight of trailer wherever it will fit, safely if everything is in good working order.

OP, be prepared for many pages of responses saying it's too much trailer. Your time, rather than reading 5 more pages of posts, would be best spent learning how to hook it up, set it up and practice maneuvering the trailer and a few test drives with low traffic to get used to it.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
ronharmless wrote:
Go look on the drivers side door, there are two stickers, post a picture of both stickers (Black out the Vin number on the stickers before posting). My F150 would handle that trailer easily without exceeding and of its ratings. Your F150 may or may not, depending on what those two stickers indicate. Any posting which don't take into account what those two stickers say are purely conjecture.
You'll probably have to read up on how to post pictures on this forum also.

How does not staying within the "stickers" make it conjecture?

You're showing your lack of experience here and touting it as the only "right" way to do it.
Yes, the OP should use caution. No, the trailer is not too big for the truck. BTW, all Eco Boosts come with the big rear axle. Besides that, the only difference is springs on the HDPP. If it's rated to tow 12,700 it does have all the right options to tow heavy.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
You're fine, truck is plenty big enough to do what you want to do with it, adjust the wdh properly and go. Take it easy until comfortable towing a trailer that large. Learn how wide it turns and how to back it up "before" you go on trips. Disconnect sway control when backing up. Adjust trailer brakes so they are stopping the bulk of or all of the trailer weight.

Don't pay attention to the "you need a F250" crowd.
Do be purposefully cautious until you get more seasoned in towing.
Have fun camping!

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Your new numbers seem incorrect also, but best wait till you can look at your truck, rather than running a vin#

Pics of actual stickers, this evening, would be great!

In any case, that trailer, will be pushing truck to the limit. 🙂

Jerry

ttugurl
Explorer
Explorer
NEW NUMBERS: SORRY, THIS IS FROM EXACT VIN:
Wt Distributing Hitch - Max Trailer Wt. 5000.0 min 12700.0 max
Wt Distributing Hitch - Max Tongue Wt. 500.0 min 1270.0 max
Maximum Trailering Capacity- 5000.0 min 12700.0 max

Dead Weight Hitch - Max Trailer Wt.5000 lbs 5000.0 min 5000.0 max
Dead Weight Hitch - Max Tongue Wt.500 lbs 500.0 min 500.0 max

I'll post pics in the evening! Thanks for the information, thus far.

ronharmless
Explorer
Explorer
trailer_newbe wrote:
... When the trailer weighs considerably more than the truck and will be over 30’ long physics take over, no matter what 1/2 ton you have.
Please tell me about the physics, should be an interesting read. I like to read fiction. Been there, doing that; for about 12 years.

ronharmless
Explorer
Explorer
Go look on the drivers side door, there are two stickers, post a picture of both stickers (Black out the Vin number on the stickers before posting). My F150 would handle that trailer easily without exceeding and of its ratings. Your F150 may or may not, depending on what those two stickers indicate. Any posting which don't take into account what those two stickers say are purely conjecture.
You'll probably have to read up on how to post pictures on this forum also.

trailer_newbe
Explorer
Explorer
Unfortunately Puma trailers are known to be heavy trailers. Anyone mention a 28’ or longer Puma, thats 3/4 ton territory in my opinion. When the trailer weighs considerably more than the truck and will be over 30’ long physics take over, no matter what 1/2 ton you have.
2018 Jayco White Hawk 28RL