cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anti-seize on brake caliper bracket?

mrgrim007
Explorer
Explorer
I just got done rebuilding the front-end on my 2002 Suburban (ball joints, pitman arm, etc.). The bolts that hold the brake caliper bracket to the knuckle always seem difficult to remove.

This time around, I decided to add anti-seize to each of the four bolts.

Now I’m second guessing myself and wondering if I should take them back out, clean off the anti-seize and possibly add some loctite instead?

Thanks
2014 RAM 3500 CTD, CC, Longbed
Rockwood 2608BS - On Order

Sold - 2002 Suburban 2500, 8.1L, 4.10
Sold - 2016 Jayco Jayflight SLX 212QBW 25' 6"
Sold - 2013 Jayco Jayflight 32BHDS 35' 6"
30 REPLIES 30

ls1mike
Explorer II
Explorer II
My entire adult life has been spent going to sea on, working around and maitaining Submarines.
We use anti-seize in some spots, but loctite in most areas were a locking device cannot be used or extra locking is required for Nylock fasteners.

GM installs your caliper bracket bolts with blue Loctite. You will probably be fine.

They are not worried so much about it backing out as they are about preventing shock, vibration and heat cycles from losening it up. It won't back out on it's own.
I doubt any of the shock, vibration or heat cycles will cause it do that either, but being connected to the steering knuckle/axle and being attached to an area that will heat up under heavy load they are just being safe. Vibartion will loosen even properly torqued fasteners over time.

I genearlly don't put any back on(I do on the truck and the Trans Am) but I don't anti-seize them either.
Mike
2024 Chevy 2500HD 6.6 gas/Allison
2012 Passport 3220 BHWE
Me, the Wife, two little ones and two dogs.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grit dog wrote:
^You may have a good reason for that, but my experience in many brake jobs is that there is no harm in anti seize for the mounting bolts. Only benefit for the next person having to remove them.

Just did a brake job on my 01. The two bolts holding the caliper brackets had blue loctite. With all the force applied it’s a good idea!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
am of the anti-seize and also know to back off the torque to offset via SAE30 spec for lubed vs dry

Also, need to understand the designer/engineer behind those torque requirements (recommendations)

Of course rotating engine component fasteners are lubed and should be tossed whenever they are loosened...the whole set. This includes head bolts

Then where the designer/engineer has that required/recommended torque is vs the fastener yield point. An example is the infamous Ford 6.0L ARP head bolts (part of the delete & fix so often mentioned)...they are torqued to 'yield'...meaning that they won't stretch anymore under the designed clamping force...but if there should be one or more instances exceeding that...it will go beyond that holding/clamping force and it will never have the same clamping force...even if you re-torque it

Most fastener applications has the designer/engineer decide how much

Some things are designed to be repaired, often and the designer/engineer should have taken that into their calculations.

Steel wheels has a coined area around the lug hole, while aluminum alloy wheels do NOT. Why alloy wheels need to be re-torqued after they have been loosened. I check 2 or 3 times. Then whether the lug nut is tapered or shouldered or washer'ed. makes a difference

Side note...if working on whatever down there on the suspension, replace fasteners with the same grade it came with. It has to do with how the designer/engineer expects things to break apart during a crash. Buddy's speed shop refused a customer who insisted on changing everything to grade 8...
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^You may have a good reason for that, but my experience in many brake jobs is that there is no harm in anti seize for the mounting bolts. Only benefit for the next person having to remove them.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
mich800 wrote:
The OP noted caliper bracket not pins or caliper bolts. They do tend to be stubborn. I don’t think anti seize will hurt anything.

The Caliper mounting bracket bolts should NOT have anti seize on the threads they should have medium blue loctite. Be sure threads are clean and then apply loctite and torque to spec.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:

True statement, fasteners are cheap, but the labor to replace all the wheel studs on a vehicle every couple years? Holy carp! Be financially advantageous to never rotate your tires or just trade it in when your alarm clock says replace perfectly good wheel studs.
I will give you this, I've had a couple vehicles that the lug nutz basically wore out.
Haven't replaced a lug stud in idk how many years and those broke due to rust or a bad/loose wheel.

I replace them myself. The studs are fairly cheap. Just take the car to the race shop and do the work there. Can usually get one of the other guys to help. Don't think I would change them regularly if I had to pay the $160/hour shop rates.

Tires don't get rotated on the MH. When I put new tires on it (well, had commercial truck place do the work) I measured the length on all the studs and only found 1 that was longer than the rest. I had them replace just that one. Quick easy check with caliper while they were mounting tires on rims.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
STBRetired wrote:
Grit dog wrote:

Lol, really? By way of all your experience with engines, one would think you'd understand clamping force, slip critical connections, yield and non yield tensile strength, torque as it relates to tension etc.
You seriously replace the brake caliper bolts after using them twice and your wheel lugs after 4-5 tire rotations?
I don't believe you....

Yes, I actually do. It's not like I pull the calipers off every week. A set of pads usually lasts at least a couple of years. I've had several broken wheel studs which I attribute to the grease monkeys at the Ford dealer running the lug nuts down with their air impacts, even though I specifically ask that they hand torque them. I don't drive a lot of miles since retiring so I only need 1 or maybe 2 tire rotations per year. Working on the dragster has made me a bit of a nut when it comes to fasteners. Fasteners are cheap compared to what can happen if they fail. At least I don't safety wire everything on my car like we do on the dragster. Guess I'm just a bit extreme.

True statement, fasteners are cheap, but the labor to replace all the wheel studs on a vehicle every couple years? Holy carp! Be financially advantageous to never rotate your tires or just trade it in when your alarm clock says replace perfectly good wheel studs.
I will give you this, I've had a couple vehicles that the lug nutz basically wore out.
Haven't replaced a lug stud in idk how many years and those broke due to rust or a bad/loose wheel.

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
The OP noted caliper bracket not pins or caliper bolts. They do tend to be stubborn. I don’t think anti seize will hurt anything.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
The slide bolts don't clamp anything they simply are a smooth surface for the caliper to move on. Basically they vibrated loose.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
fj12ryder wrote:
Okay, that makes sense. Thanks.

Almost sounds like the bolts were undersized and stretching, then loosening up. The loctite wouldn't really address the issue, but it would keep the bolts from then falling out.

Pretty rare for caliper bolts to just fall out, but not unusual for the recommendation of loctite on those bolts. I agree that blue should be perfectly fine in most circumstances.

I am thinking PISS-POOR machining on the threads, ID and OD.

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:

Lol, really? By way of all your experience with engines, one would think you'd understand clamping force, slip critical connections, yield and non yield tensile strength, torque as it relates to tension etc.
You seriously replace the brake caliper bolts after using them twice and your wheel lugs after 4-5 tire rotations?
I don't believe you....

Yes, I actually do. It's not like I pull the calipers off every week. A set of pads usually lasts at least a couple of years. I've had several broken wheel studs which I attribute to the grease monkeys at the Ford dealer running the lug nuts down with their air impacts, even though I specifically ask that they hand torque them. I don't drive a lot of miles since retiring so I only need 1 or maybe 2 tire rotations per year. Working on the dragster has made me a bit of a nut when it comes to fasteners. Fasteners are cheap compared to what can happen if they fail. At least I don't safety wire everything on my car like we do on the dragster. Guess I'm just a bit extreme.
2016 Ford Edge Sport

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
STBRetired wrote:
On my personal vehicle, I follow that same rule for any safety related items like brakes and suspension / steering. Anything else, like wheel studs, I will usually go 4 or five torquings before replacing.

I don't believe you....

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
Rod bolts, head bolts, main bearing cap bolts are all put together using assembly lube so that you get the proper stretch when you torque them. Some anti-seize will not be a problem. Of greater concern is the number of times those bolts have been removed and re-torqued. Every time you torque that bolt you stretch it a bit further. Eventually, the bolt will fail, not by loosening, but by breaking because it was overstretched. On our race car, we replace any bolt that would be torqued more than twice. On my personal vehicle, I follow that same rule for any safety related items like brakes and suspension / steering. Anything else, like wheel studs, I will usually go 4 or five torquings before replacing.
2016 Ford Edge Sport

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
How about VW using a 14mm triple square bit to mount their calipers onto their vehicles? Course I don't have that part (NAPA does tho). WTH? Can't use regular bolts like everyone else?? UGH !!!!
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"