cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Antifreeze in transmission 2010 Duramax??

ivbinconned
Explorer II
Explorer II
Whatโ€™s going on here. How does this happen? And has it ruined my transmission?
Ram and 34 ft Cedar Creek
61 REPLIES 61

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
larry barnhart wrote:
The Ford GM joint venture.allison made the ford and Ram get better trannies and I see this a good deal for rv towing. chevman

100% agree.

No that didnโ€™t happen. The 10 speed was designed and tested by GM and Ford together. They are now the same exact transmission design, and GM recently put the Allison name on theirs.
GM and Ford Joint Design.

the1adman
Explorer
Explorer
Huntindog wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Huntindog wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
"As far as the tranny cooler in the radiator, it is there for a reason.To keep the fluid from running too cold."

Seems the MD AISIN does not need to be heated up and as mentioned they run cooler than any trans I have heard of.
12V98 wrote:
This sort of issue is another reason I like my AISIN trans. It has a cooler and that's it, no heat exchanger.
12V98 wrote:
My trans temp runs 165 towing or not and when climbing miles of 6% grades it may get as high as 172. OH and the trans is NOT tied to anything other than it's own cooler.
I just looked up your trucks cooling system on Rock Auto. You have two radiators. The secondary does not have a tranny cooler in it. The Primary or Main radiator DOES have a tranny cooler in it.
Look it up for yourself. They even have pictures.

Sorry my truck has ONE radiator. My truck is a 2015 and the 13 and 14 did have two radiators. I have no idea if the trans is tied to one of those radiators or not.

For fun post the pics.
Here you go. Click the link and then peruse the 2015 parts.Rock auto parts lookup

I even went all tha way up to 2017. and they all show the same parts.
On edit:
Here is another link to Autozone; Autozone 2015 Ram 3500 diesel parts lookup

Shows the same thing.

Final edit: I have looked at quite a few sites now, and they all agree. The Ram diesel auto tranny uses the same two radiator setup from 2013 to 2018.

So either they are all wrong, or you have a VERY special one off truck.

The dual radiators ended sometime in 2015 models. Some early models had them and some late models did not. 2016 and newer is one radiator.

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cummins12V98 wrote:

If you will be honest I am betting you are more than satisfied with your 6 speed auto.

My 6 speed transmission were a huge improvement over the old 4 speeds and I was satisfied with them until the 10 speeds came out. I would really like to have a 10 speed transmissions now.

Of course, a lot of the need for more gears depends on how powerful the engine is and how much you are towing. Both of the 6 speed transmissions I tow with are being used at or over there rated capacity and the Cummins in the motorhome was detuned to 300hp to avoid compromising the Allison 1000.

My F150 with a 6 speed has plenty of gears when towing less than 6000lbs.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Huntindog wrote:

I can confirm that 2013-2014s had dual radiators and 2016 - up do not.
2015s I believe switched from dual to single sometime during that year's production. ICBW on that, but Rock Auto is wrong if they show 2 rad setup for anything 2016-up.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Huntindog wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
"As far as the tranny cooler in the radiator, it is there for a reason.To keep the fluid from running too cold."

Seems the MD AISIN does not need to be heated up and as mentioned they run cooler than any trans I have heard of.
12V98 wrote:
This sort of issue is another reason I like my AISIN trans. It has a cooler and that's it, no heat exchanger.
12V98 wrote:
My trans temp runs 165 towing or not and when climbing miles of 6% grades it may get as high as 172. OH and the trans is NOT tied to anything other than it's own cooler.
I just looked up your trucks cooling system on Rock Auto. You have two radiators. The secondary does not have a tranny cooler in it. The Primary or Main radiator DOES have a tranny cooler in it.
Look it up for yourself. They even have pictures.

Sorry my truck has ONE radiator. My truck is a 2015 and the 13 and 14 did have two radiators. I have no idea if the trans is tied to one of those radiators or not.

For fun post the pics.
Here you go. Click the link and then peruse the 2015 parts.Rock auto parts lookup

On edit:
Here is another link to Autozone; Autozone 2015 Ram 3500 diesel parts lookup

Shows the same thing.

Final edit: I have looked at quite a few sites now, and they all agree. The Ram diesel auto tranny uses the same two radiator setup from 2013 to 2018.

So either they are all wrong, or you have a VERY special one off truck.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
FishOnOne wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
"If Dodge gets the new true Allison 9 speed this will be a game changer for them and I think many will jump brands to get it."

I find these types of comments entertaining. The AISIN Medium Duty Transmission offered in the 3500, 4500 and 5500 RAM trucks simply does not break. With the straight six Cummins the 6 speeds works great. I tow much more weight than the vast majority on here at 35k combined West Coast with ZERO need for more gears.

Cummins12V98 public statement just went into the archives for future reference. :W

As you being the RV,NET RAM expert you know this to be true.

Yes I'm the expert to predict your every move. If your truck doesn't have it and the competition does then it's not needed, but when your truck finally get's it then pulling the combined load gets advertised as great.

My 98 12V and current 01 Sport both have the 4 speed auto. NOT thrilled with either as the 3-4 shift is too far apart. I had DTT rebuild the 98 and it worked well with the increased power. The 01 has better shift pattern but still not a fan of the 3-4 shift. I looked long and hard for a 2500 4X4 CUMMINS Sport LongBed with a 6 speed stick but none were to be had unless they were thrashed.

If you will be honest I am betting you are more than satisfied with your 6 speed auto.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
MFL wrote:
Cummins12V98 WROTE: Think about how much time you are towing in 6th it's no different than towing in 9th.

I agree with this, in diesel application, mostly towing on interstate, or anywhere that steep inclines are not involved.

IMO, the gassers have much more to gain, 8-9-10 speeds, especially the 6.4 Ram, to keep them in the ideal rpm, uphill/downhill towing.

I've no idea how many more moving parts are required, possibly affecting reliability, comparing a modern 6-speed to a newer 10-speed. If what you have, such as the aisin 6-speed, Cummins diesel, works great, no question reliable, for 30K+ combined towing, many would be hesitant to change to the unknown 9-10 speed.

Technology will always continue, time proven, to be for the best! It will be the cost of replacing older tow vehicles, with the latest tech TVs, that will keep many from moving forward.

Jerry

Dang you are one smart DUDE!!!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
"If Dodge gets the new true Allison 9 speed this will be a game changer for them and I think many will jump brands to get it."

I find these types of comments entertaining. The AISIN Medium Duty Transmission offered in the 3500, 4500 and 5500 RAM trucks simply does not break. With the straight six Cummins the 6 speeds works great. I tow much more weight than the vast majority on here at 35k combined West Coast with ZERO need for more gears.

Cummins12V98 public statement just went into the archives for future reference. :W

As you being the RV,NET RAM expert you know this to be true.

Yes I'm the expert to predict your every move. If your truck doesn't have it and the competition does then it's not needed, but when your truck finally get's it then pulling the combined load gets advertised as great.
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

ZR1
Explorer
Explorer
No doubt the Allison 1000 6 speed used with the Duramax was getting long in the tooth and at its max capacity as far as torque input was concerned. What is a real shame is that GM passed on the newly upgraded Allison designed 9 speed to push their in house 10 speed. I am sure it all had to do with money!
With that said and to be fair I don't believe any automatic transmissions is perfect when they are first introduced and I am sure the new 10 speed will fall into that category.

Check out the issues with the new GM 10 Speed/Duramax combo's:
https://nextgendiesel.com/blogs/transmissions-101/transmissions-101-allison-10l1000-problems-solutions-upgrades
At this point if you have this new transmission keep a close eye on it and get it in for warranty service BEFORE the warranty expires. If you plan on keeping the truck past the warranty you may want to consider an extended warranty or possibly perform some upgrades. Best of luck whatever path you take!

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Cummins12V98 WROTE: Think about how much time you are towing in 6th it's no different than towing in 9th.

I agree with this, in diesel application, mostly towing on interstate, or anywhere that steep inclines are not involved.

IMO, the gassers have much more to gain, 8-9-10 speeds, especially the 6.4 Ram, to keep them in the ideal rpm, uphill/downhill towing.

I've no idea how many more moving parts are required, possibly affecting reliability, comparing a modern 6-speed to a newer 10-speed. If what you have, such as the aisin 6-speed, Cummins diesel, works great, no question reliable, for 30K+ combined towing, many would be hesitant to change to the unknown 9-10 speed.

Technology will always continue, time proven, to be for the best! It will be the cost of replacing older tow vehicles, with the latest tech TVs, that will keep many from moving forward.

Jerry

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
larry barnhart wrote:
The allison made the ford and Ram get better trannies and I see this a good deal for rv towing. chevman

100% agree.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
ksss wrote:
I have the '20 10 speed DRW and an '18 SRW, both are the same spec L5P. The comparisons are pretty interesting. I was good with what the '18 does pulling prior to owning the '20. The '20 is noticeable better. It simply feels like it has more power. The "dead pedal" is gone which great, but I feel the 10 speed makes better use of the power available.

Yup, and until you drive an 8 or 10 speed equipped vehicle, unless you really understand vehicles, I can imagine it is hard to realize what the difference is.
That said, 10th gear is all but useless in my Silverado. It's only 150 rpms lower than 9th gear, and 9th is still under 2500 rpms hooked to a LS motor at 90mph.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Don't anyone get too excited about an Alli in a Ram. It's not even a consideration at this point and was not a big consideration even 2 years ago when that rumor started...and died.

PS I rode in a ZF 8 speed auto trans Cummins Ram almost 4 years ago.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
ksss wrote:
Opps the interweb strikes again.

12V98 saying you don't need more gears is based on your subjective opinion, but you don't have anything to compare your 6 speed against. You might just find that the pickup runs better with it (I don't know if you would admit that, but it just might). I would at least give yourself some room to acknowledge that the 9 speed, if that is what comes, might be of benefit. What if it made a good pickup, even better? You don't know, what you don't know.

Right?
After almost 15 years with Cummins Powered trucks and more with a couple Dmaxes and plenty of gasser truck miles thrown in for good measure, there is not a single engine today in a light duty truck that would benefit more from more gears than a Cummins.
Is it doing the job and doing it pretty darn well with 6 gears? For sure, not debatable. Would the truck with the lowest total rpm operating range benefit from shorter gear splits? Uhhh, yeah....
What pulls better? A semi with 10 speeds or 18 speeds?

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
The allison made the ford and Ram get better trannies and I see this a good deal for rv towing. chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110