cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any problem with these 2 set ups?

sdclaw21
Explorer
Explorer
Based in part on info received here I've ditched the idea of a hybrid and decided to go the pop-up route to tow behind a 13 town and country with 100k miles on it. I'm torn between two units. One weighs 2,000 dry and the other with a dinette slide weighs 2,400. Both are well under the 3,500 I'm rated for. The vehicles combined weight rating is 8750. Including current family weight and generous 500 pounds of gear I am coming up with 7750 pounds for the lighter set up and 8150 with the heavier. The kids are 4 and 6 but it's likely we will be in a mid sized sub before before they add much more weight. Most of my travel will be in the upper midwest where it's fairly flat.

Does anyone see issues with either set up? The larger unit may or may not have trailer brakes. Thoughts?
6 REPLIES 6

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:
IIRC, you're contemplating local trips. Neither trailer will tow significantly different than the other at 500lbs difference. Stay in the corn belt and it'll be ok.
No trailer brakes would be a deal breaker on a vehicle like yours that has no headroom in braking ability to stop a trailer too, IMO.

If looking long term and you're not the mechanicin type, surge brakes are easy to neglect and become useless after a few years without a bit of upkeep.

While I agree that trailer brakes are a requirement, the 13 T&C might have good brakes. There were two brake setups available in 13, the HD brakes are 330mm dual piston calipers, the brakes on most half tons are only ~330-350mm so not much difference.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Iowa requires trailer brakes when the trailer exceeds 3,000 pounds but I would hate to TRY to stop a 2,900 pound trailer quickly with my Silverado much less a Town and Country van. Even the 1,500 pound California limit would bother me. Be safe with your family.

“Every trailer of a Gross Vehicle Weight (GVW) of 3,000 lbs. must be equipped with brakes adequate to control the movement of and to stop and hold the vehicle, and so designed as to be applied by the driver of the towing motor vehicle from its cab, or with self-actuating brakes, and a weight-equalizing hitch with a sway control. Every trailer of a GVW of 3,000 lbs. or more must be equipped with a separate, auxiliary means of applying the brakes on the trailer from the cab of the towing vehicle.”
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
IIRC, you're contemplating local trips. Neither trailer will tow significantly different than the other at 500lbs difference. Stay in the corn belt and it'll be ok.
No trailer brakes would be a deal breaker on a vehicle like yours that has no headroom in braking ability to stop a trailer too, IMO.

If looking long term and you're not the mechanicin type, surge brakes are easy to neglect and become useless after a few years without a bit of upkeep.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

sdclaw21
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
A five hundred pound allowance for gear for a family of four isn’t generous. It’s actually unrealistic. Two kid bikes will be 60 pounds with a rack, air pump, chain, lock etc. Taking firewood? Cast iron frying pan? Outdoor table and chairs? Etc. Trailer without brakes...
Oh boy.

Would lack of trailer brakes be a deal breaker for you? I can't get a clear pic of the hitch but it looks bulky so I am thinking it MAY have surge breaks but the harness is a 4 flat.

badercubed
Explorer
Explorer
I agree you'll have more than 500lbs when you consider what's already in the van plus camping gear itself. But I don't think you should have a problem with the one with the slide. Don't stick two batteries and propane tanks on the front though. You can help balance the load in the van by putting the kids in the 3rd row and the gear (cooler, bikes, etc) in the 2nd row which should help transfer weight to the front of the van.

When you upgrade your TV, go to an SUV like an Explorer that sits at 5,000lbs of towing and you'll be very happy.
2019 Apex Nano 208BHS
2016 F-150 Crew Cab (it's my wife's ride)

Been camping for 37 of my 38 years!

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
A five hundred pound allowance for gear for a family of four isn’t generous. It’s actually unrealistic. Two kid bikes will be 60 pounds with a rack, air pump, chain, lock etc. Taking firewood? Cast iron frying pan? Outdoor table and chairs? Etc. Trailer without brakes...
Oh boy.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad