cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anyone have a Northern Lite 10-2 on a flatbed?

TWinNY
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I recently decided to downsize from a 5th wheel toy hauler to a TC. Our truck is an F350 SRW Diesel. We went in thinking about a smaller TC due to weight. We ended up focusing on the Northern Lites due to quality and weight. We started looking at their smaller units but ended up deciding on a 10-2 SE because we knew we would just regret it later had we not. I have read a bunch of the threads on here and I know there are things we can do to the suspension/wheels of our SRW to perhaps get by but I would rather just change to a dually to get peace of mind and know I also have the ability to tow a vehicle or trailer later as well. I have been searching for a decent used F450 dually and have seen quite a few. I am intrigued by the possibility of going with a flat bed. I kind of like the thought of being able to put some additional storage along the sides of the bed. I know there are a number of things to be considered. CG, tie down points, length/width of the bed and loading/unloading, etc. There are likely many I haven't thought of.

My question - does anyone have experience putting their TC on a flatbed and what are the watch-outs? Would you do it again or just stick with a standard truck bed the next time?

I found a nice used F450 with a flatbed but will not pull the trigger until I am confident I won't have more hassles than it is worth.

Thanks for any and all input.
10 REPLIES 10

Bedlam
You may find that a SRW just doesnโ€™t have the reserve capacity to carry a lot of extras along with a truck camper. By the time you upgrade to 19.5โ€ wheels and a flat deck, you might as well start fresh with a DRW.

My deck and boxes are steel. I have two under deck boxes and four above deck that fit under the camper wings. Just the weight these is about 600 lbs and does not include of the flatbed. You will find using a deck or utility box will weigh more than the formed steel pickup bed, so it will take some of your payload before you even start adding your gear.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

TWinNY
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks. Iโ€™ve decided that is my long term direction. Need to replenish the capital fund after buying the camper this year!

Horsetrader
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 10=2 NL on a '17 Ram 5500 with a Alum Line flat bed. I put boxes on both sides and with the storage in 4 side boxes in the bed I don't think my wife has enough "stuff". LOL Works great. We traveled from Ohio to Oregon last summer and had no issues what so ever. Like someone else said I had to put extensions on the dually brackets. Truck handles it really well.

TWinNY
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all. I appreciate the help. Will check out the university.

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
There is a lot of info in the sticky TC university , second page at the bottom . Yes I love flatbed setup .
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

Flyfisher86
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 09 10-2cd-se Northern Lite on a flatbed. I have had it set up this way for six years, and have been all over the country including AK twice with no regrets. The only tricky part is the width I have mine on on Ram dually and the flatbed measures 97" width, so I had to make extensions for the swingout brackets. I love the flatbed because of the storage boxes I have mounted under the wings of the camper. If you have more questions just ask or PM me.
2015 Ram 3500 CC Cab&chassis Eby Flatbed 6.7CTD 6Spd Auto
2009 Northern Lite 10-2CDSE 200w of solar and one spoiled camper dog Splash

Itchey_Feet
Explorer
Explorer
Have a 06 GMC 3500 CC drw W/ 8.5 Summerwind. have traveled to a lot of western states towing a 74 Ford bronco, would I do it again (yes). I installed a rear deck and built down from the TC to the flat bed and carry a 10'X10' popup shade, generator, grill and all kind of (what if things) in the lockable side boxes. PM me if you want some pictures. Look @ my profile for a couple.
My feet are fine as long as they are traveling.

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
I have my '03 Fleetwood 11x on a custom built aluminum flatbed. I have storage boxes above and below the bed. I have tie down rings mounted in the floor of the bed that I attach Happi-jack turnbuckles too. I really like the set up. I don't know where I'd put all the stuff in the boxes if I had to go back to a regular bed. My sewer drain hangs behind the bed so that's not an issue.

TWinNY
Explorer
Explorer
Will do. Thank you.

Troutguy
Explorer
Explorer
Do a search for a member here....Bedlam. He has RAM 5500 w/Flatbed and a Host Mammoth and one of the most knowledgeable members on this forum.

RAM 3500 Crew Cab 4x4 DRW

Cummins HO, Aisin trans and 4:10 gears, 14,000 lb GVWR
2018 Arctic Fox 1140 Truck Camper &

Honda EU2000