Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Apple car play or XM radio

GULFMAN
Explorer
Explorer
Hello All
It's been a while.
I took my first trip to Arizona from North Carolina.
Had a great time drove about 3,000 miles. I have 2002 F350 with a Bigfoot truck camper. I would like to upgrade the radio in the Truck. I was shown a Kenwood touch screen and some other's. Radio reception on the trip was in and out the whole trip got old trying to find a channel. What would be a good alternative to the original radio? The sales person said Apple Car Play connection through your phone. XM radio has a external antenna but really no good place to mount it. I really could use some good information.
Thanks
17 REPLIES 17

GULFMAN
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for your comments.
Presently I think I will try to keep it simple.
I have the free Pandora on my phone so I thinking of just purchasing a Bose wireless speaker. and mounting it in the back window.
I do have Amazon Prime I will look into there Music .
The reason I posted in the truck camper Forum is because that is what I have.

Thanks & safe travels
GULFMAN

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I had XM for a while, but I didn't feel it was worth a subscription. It also didn't work in a tree canopy for me. I don't know if they are better now.

I also like local radio stations when available, but there are a lot of places I drive that have no reception. For those, I download Amazon Music playlists. It comes with Amazon Prime, so it's no extra expense.

Fwiw, I've found that OEM Ford Radio reception of AM/FM is better than aftermarket radios. YMMV.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Donโ€™t use XM, not even when itโ€™s free. Despise their marketing with showing their price but leave out taxes, fees, and other costs. I recently replaced the low end radio (which included support for XM) with a touch screen unit with Car Play (and no XM). I can connect iPhone either by USB cable or Bluetooth/WIFI , listen to all my music on my phone, stream Apple Music, send and receive TXT messages via voice, listen to free radio, navigate with Apple Maps, and there is a โ€œradioโ€ feature for internet based radio services.

I will say the USB connection is more stable than the blue tooth as it seems to drop out from time to time.

If you donโ€™t need all the features, and our existing radio has an AUX in connection just plug your iPhone in.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I have the ala-carte programming on XM. IIRC it is about $8.00 a month for 50 stations, some extra pay. I have it on auto pay and I don't have to renew it or argue with them about renewing if you have annual plan.
bumpy

PButler96
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Oh boy, everybody grab their morning glass of Metamucil and listen for a sec.

LOL
I have a burn barrel in my yard.

RickW
Explorer II
Explorer II
I replaced my old 2004 terrestrial/xm radio with a newer touchscreen unit with AM/FM radio, carplay/phone, gps and back up camera.

I mostly use the iheart app to listen to my favorite radio wherever I have cell service, otherwise just listen to the playlist or saved podcasts. If really remote, I have a portable weather radio for updates.

As a bonus, I also installed a backup camera on the TC connected to the new unit.
Rick
04 GMC 1500 4X4X4, 04 Sunlite SB

mbloof
Explorer
Explorer
As others have mentioned:

- if your around cities you can use the radio (stations go in/out as OP mentioned)

- if your on most 'major' highways you can stream with your cell phone (until of course your out of cell phone range and of course it uses DATA which can be costly)

- if you can find a place to mount it, you can use XM radio but have to listen to whatever they are broadcasting (and its not cheap)

- while cars/trucks have moved from having just AM/FM to radio+cassette to radio+CD player to radio+CD player+Bluetooth you could simply feed CD's (with just audio or +10 CD's worth of MP3's stuffed on it) or you could load your cell phone up with a bunch of MP3's (most cell phones these days have at least 64GB of storage - 100x what a CD holds) and stream for free from your cell phone.

There are a BUNCH of options for car/truck audio - why your asking in a Truck camper specific forum is anyones guess...

- Mark0.

Bedlam
Like someone else posted, I used to listen the Canadian stations across the Great Lakes in my youth. I am still close enough to pick up some Canadian stations, but many are getting mixed with local Spanish language stations father south and make my listening sound like I am in the DMZ.

In poor reception areas, radio and cell will be worthless and only satellite in open skies will be a choice. I prefer local programing and pre recorded media where there is no reception. I travel to experience the differences in culture and will not be trying bring in CKLW or WMMS or KISW or KXLE or KSIM when not local.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Hemi_Joel
Explorer
Explorer
Every time I buy a new truck, it comes with XM radio, but as soon as the free subscription expires I cancel. It's one of those things where you have to listen to what they want to play at the time. And then I would scroll through a hundred channels or so and not find anything I want to listen to.

So now I use my phone to tune into Pandora radio. They have a free version which I listened to for a few years, but now I do pay the subscription fee to get rid of ads, have more power to control what I'm listening to such as rewind, repeat, etc. Plus it has more bandwidth and higher fidelity, as well as the ability to create and listen to offline playlists for when you don't have a signal.

Plus I tune in to YouTube as well. There's a lot of play lists where you can pick one and set it on autoplay and it will just go through the whole list.
Between the two, There is always something to listen to whether it be music of any genre or educational, Bible study, motivational, or just plain entertainment.
2018 Eagle Cap 1163 triple slide, 400W solar, MPPT, on a 93 Dodge D350 Cummins, DTT 89 torque converter, big turbo, 3 extra main leafs, Rancho 9000s rear, Monroe gas magnums front, upper overloads removed, home made stableloads, bags.

Z-Peller
Explorer
Explorer
XM for years both truck & camper. Always get news, sports, comedy, every kind of music etc etcโ€ฆ. Arizona to Newfoundland to Northwest Territoriesโ€ฆ XM magnetic puck on front hood of truck and route very small wire under hood/ thru door trim to under dash.
Do not use yearly auto renew!โ€ฆ.phone every year and negotiate new deal with customer service for best price.
Bill..
2017 Bigfoot 10.4 camper...2016 GMC 3500 4x4 Xcab Duramax Dually...

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Actually as a child I would listen to CBC Radio on the am band--it was, at the time available from a quite powerful transmitter. It would drop out somewhere in Nebraska. (about 1000 miles)

I do listen to radio on my cell phone--which has unlimited data. I have a booster, but that has only been used twice in 12 years.

Apple is via the cell phone? If so, your comment applies to it, too.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

deserteagle56
Explorer II
Explorer II
pianotuna wrote:
Why would one pay for apple car play when there are thousands of free radio stations already available on the wobbly wide web.

BBC
CBC
NPR

Come out here to the middle of nowhere and see how many of those "free" radio stations, on the web or via antenna, you can pick up. (Your cell phone will be useless most places also.)

I used to have two Sirius/SM subscriptions but gave up on them due to the constant battle over subscription prices. Now all the music I want to hear is on a flash drive so I hear only what I like to listen to.
1996 Bigfoot 2500 9.5 on a 2004 Dodge/Cummins dually

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Oh boy, everybody grab their morning glass of Metamucil and listen for a sec.
XM, obviously, is a set of โ€œradioโ€ stations that play whatever you select.
Apple car play is not. It is just an interface to make your car stereo more IPhone โ€œfriendlyโ€ and a means to operate your iPhone through your car stereo. (Similar to Bluetooth but not with the Apple โ€œappsโ€ appearing on your stereo screen.)
With it you can stream music or play your downloaded music. But Car Play doesnโ€™t have its own music.
Car play doesnโ€™t require phone service to work but it only plays what is already on your phone or streaming music (when you have internet service).
Car Play is either wired or wireless (through Bluetooth) depending on the features of that stereo.
No subscription required for CarPlay.
Bottom line, replacing a 20 year old stereo with features from the last decade is an upgrade if you want to use your phone with your stereo.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Why would one pay for apple car play when there are thousands of free radio stations already available on the wobbly wide web.

BBC
CBC
NPR
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.