Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Argo, the all-aluminum camper

D1trout
Explorer
Explorer
This is a test

Whoa! It looks like it might actually work!
16 REPLIES 16

DWeikert
Explorer II
Explorer II
D1trout wrote:
he is now a Class C camper

A rose by any other name...

Nice work. Maybe I missed it, but could you provide a link to your pics on the "Avion forum"? I'm curious how you handled the pass/crawl through. I get a lot of flexing between the bed and cab with the camper mounted. Curious how you handled that.

Thanks for sharing and congratulation on a job well done.
Dan
2008 Chevy D/A 2500HD ECSB
2010 Northstar 8.5 Adventurer

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:
Unless the Argo is removable, it is a Class C motorhome regardless of its origins. Looks like the same category as the Tiger Adventure Vehicles.

http://www.tigervehicles.com/

Similar to a few manufacturers in Australia

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
Turned out great D . We'll get to the details in time .
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

D1trout
Explorer
Explorer
Fellow RVers, first, let me apologize for creating some confusion by posting my Argo pic on the main rv site. I thought Iโ€™d found a shortcut to the Avion forum, which is Argoโ€™s and my normal digital home on this site. My computer has been leading me a merry chase as I try to put up the pics of Argo in his virtually finished condition.
I will be putting up these pics of the completed camper. They will be at the โ€œAvion truck campers - hundreds of photosโ€ forum.

Just to clarify Argoโ€™s status, he is now a Class C camper, with an all aluminum frame and custom truck body beneath the original 1965 TC shell. Rather like a Tiger vehicle, Argo has all the comforts of a Class C and can tow a boat and go off road.
No wood except cabinetry.
The original design brief was a 4WD truck with camper. I bought the Avion because I fancied the look and the aerodynamics. As I got into the project, I found that all the structural wood was compromised. As I was completing the new aluminum frame for a truck camper style rig, my lovely wife decided we needed to be able to get from cab to camper to interact with our dogs - German Shepherds, who go everywhere with us.
I bought a lightly used F250 diesel, sold the bed, build a custom frame for the chassis, cut a hole in the back of the cab and voila!, a Class C. The pics on the Avion forum will tell the story better than I here. Ck them out! And if you see Argo rolling down the road, give us a honk and a wave! Itโ€™s been a long time coming.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Touchy, touchy,.
but it is unfair that D1trout keeps us in suspension for years.
I understand that project takes years to finish, but I would love to see how he managed the cabin pass.
I am admirer of metal construction and had all metal TT and all metal DP and IMHO that is something that you might keep for years. (both of them were over 40 yo).
I have seen a guy who pulled Airstream trailer from its wheels and put it on top of Sprinter chassis.
That probably would be something I would go for would I expect 50 more years of camping (I expect only 40).
You put metal RV shell on top of chassis and replace the chassis every 20 years. This way you have the best of all Worlds.
I am also admirer of older refrigerators who would freeze without any outside electricity.

Bedlam
You are putting assumptions ahead of fact or intent. This truck camper conversion melds the original lines into a motor home - I did not see a mount/dismount system. There is no reason to think the efforts of Dick are in some way unappreciated (especially since I followed this conversion in the Avion thread).

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

67avion
Explorer II
Explorer II
Whatโ€™s up with this new mod โ€œBedlamโ€? He/she pronounces the nature of a truck camper. Itโ€™s just this or that. In fact what we have here is an astonishing rebuild of an Avion from the 1970s. It would be wise to reflect on the incredible work that has resulted in this truck camper rather than pronounce some shallow conclusion. Iโ€™m wondering when this blog will produce a welcoming environment rather than some self important mod who pronounces on what they think is politically correct.

Bedlam
Here is a thread from a couple years ago, but I did not see anything of the inside:

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/29285602/

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
ClassC would have to have passage from the cabin.
I don't recall anybody giving oficial classifications for such vehicles, but
"Adventure" or "Exploration" vehicle seems fit it the best.

Bedlam
Unless the Argo is removable, it is a Class C motorhome regardless of its origins. Looks like the same category as the Tiger Adventure Vehicles.

http://www.tigervehicles.com/

stevenal
Nomad
Nomad
Kayteg1 wrote:
Test failed - this is not TC. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Looks like a TC on utility bed to me.
'18 Bigfoot 1500 Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4

67avion
Explorer II
Explorer II
We've been watching and talking about Argo on the Avion site for years. Glad to see its up and running. Great work!

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Whatever it is, thatโ€™s a great picture.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
You just need to paste the link from the photo posting app. No need for the extra XML.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox