cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Atwood Electric Jack Locked Up in Retracted Position

sasquatchgeoff
Explorer II
Explorer II
For some reason, my driverside-front jack is locked up in the retracted position. Took the motor off, the shaft and bevel gear will not turn. Worked fine when I last loaded. Drove home parked, went out to unload, and jack shaft will not rotate.

Is there some trick I am missing, or do I need to start looking for a jack?
1996 F350 SRW CrewCab XLT 7.3L PS 2019 NL 10-2EXCD SE
3 REPLIES 3

Led_67
Explorer
Explorer
sasquatchgeoff wrote:
For some reason, my driverside-front jack is locked up in the retracted position. Took the motor off, the shaft and bevel gear will not turn. Worked fine when I last loaded. Drove home parked, went out to unload, and jack shaft will not rotate.

Is there some trick I am missing, or do I need to start looking for a jack?

The question that I have is why is the bevel gear jammed, It obviously went up fine so either something has gotten into the gears or the shaft is jammed within the leg itself.
I would attempt to lower the leg manually before disassembly of the gears as well as checking the leg housing for debris as well as true.

Good luck

sasquatchgeoff
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for the reply and encouragement. I probably should have been more clear. The motor is fine, in fact I was impressed with its condition with a May 97 date stamp. I'm thinking the shaft itself is broke or the connection at the bottom broke and bound up the jack threads.

I ordered a replacement so we can mark this solved since I could not see a way to get the jack to move.
1996 F350 SRW CrewCab XLT 7.3L PS 2019 NL 10-2EXCD SE

guidry
Explorer
Explorer
Happijac sells reconditioned/refurbished motors; Atwood might too if you call them or check out their website. Good luck