cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Australian Truck Campers are dramatically growing

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
On my last count there were 15 manufacturers. Overall the RV industry is booming here.
From the Expedition Like

to the conventional

Larger conventional

31 REPLIES 31

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
thanks for posting Robert

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
silversand wrote:
Robert:

I enjoy seeing your periodic visuals on the evolving RV overlanding industry Down Under.

It would also be interesting to see approximate prices in $AUD for the campers?

I answered this but my post was deleted

silversand
Explorer
Explorer
Robert:

I enjoy seeing your periodic visuals on the evolving RV overlanding industry Down Under.

It would also be interesting to see approximate prices in $AUD for the campers?
Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
Love those interiors,nice and bright !

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
RobertRyan wrote:
Actually you get better facilities than you get in the US, from what I have seen of US grounds. Yes Freeways and highways are well kept. Lot being spent on infrastructure here. AN Australian Company has been building Freeways in the US

I’m not sure you want to take credit for a lot of the freeways in the US. 😄 Some are pretty bad. 😉

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
They seem well built and comfortable. That's something I can off road in. Never been off roading in my life. If I could ask a couple more questions. The older I get the more comfort and inside toys I require. I am 60 but in the old days would camp in a tent type of thing but now no way. Are there luxury campgrounds with full hookups, restrooms, activities, etc... Is it easy to get propane filled, Are the campgrounds well kept. Are there freeways and highways In other words is it like it is here in America?
Thanks for your time and I like the pics, Joe
PS, I visited Perth many years ago in the navy and I can remember the inside of the bar I was in but not much else.

Actually you get better facilities than you get in the US, from what I have seen of US grounds. Yes Freeways and highways are well kept. Lot being spent on infrastructure here. AN Australian Company has been building Freeways in the US

notsobigjoe
Nomad III
Nomad III
RobertRyan wrote:
Some Camper interiors

They seem well built and comfortable. That's something I can off road in. Never been off roading in my life. If I could ask a couple more questions. The older I get the more comfort and inside toys I require. I am 60 but in the old days would camp in a tent type of thing but now no way. Are there luxury campgrounds with full hookups, restrooms, activities, etc... Is it easy to get propane filled, Are the campgrounds well kept. Are there freeways and highways In other words is it like it is here in America?
Thanks for your time and I like the pics, Joe
PS, I visited Perth many years ago in the navy and I can remember the inside of the bar I was in but not much else...;)

Geewizard
Explorer
Explorer
Camper_Jeff_&_Kelli wrote:
I do enjoy your periodic posts showing the Australian version of truck camper.

Me too, Robert. Thanks.
2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2014 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
300W solar, MPPT controller, LED lights
Xantrex Freedom X Inverter 3000W
2 Fullriver 105AH AGM batteries
Air Lift WirelessAIR and air bags
Hankook Dynapro ATM 10-ply tires

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Some Camper interiors

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Hello Robert. I see the jacks now so I guess that makes them official truck campers. LOL Not being snarky sir. In Australia are these type of campers used primarily as 4 wheel drive campers to go off road or are they used as I use mine just so I have a vehicle to get around in? They seem massive and very heavy and I am wondering if the terrain where you are supports such weight. I am referring to the ground as in a dirt road. When I camp in GA the dirt is mostly clay, Very solid and very strong but in Florida it is sand and not so much. Very different camping. Thank you, Joe

Joe in some cases they have a Dinghy. Generally they are geared for Off Road, they are very good at very difficult terrain
Of the first three shown they are used like a convential car as well. Especially the small Pickup Truck in the middle.

notsobigjoe
Nomad III
Nomad III
RobertRyan wrote:
On my last count there were 15 manufacturers. Overall the RV industry is booming here.
From the Expedition Like

to the conventional

Larger conventional

Hello Robert. I see the jacks now so I guess that makes them official truck campers. LOL Not being snarky sir. In Australia are these type of campers used primarily as 4 wheel drive campers to go off road or are they used as I use mine just so I have a vehicle to get around in? They seem massive and very heavy and I am wondering if the terrain where you are supports such weight. I am referring to the ground as in a dirt road. When I camp in GA the dirt is mostly clay, Very solid and very strong but in Florida it is sand and not so much. Very different camping. Thank you, Joe

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
From the SAME small company based in Queensland, this just shows the activity you are getting now. Truck camper is 20ft long

Yes an Expedition Vehicle

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
3 tons wrote:
Love the post!!…BTW, do you still have your Eagle Cap and Ram, and how does your rig fair compared to other rigs per popular opinion??

3 tons

OMG, say it ain’t so…RR has or used to have an American truck and camper??
Can’t wait to hear about it. Lol.

Getting me confused with someone else. No never had those. The fellow you thinking of is called Doug, He was from Western Australia. RAM's are most common US conversion, will sell about 4000 this year, but they are basically used as cars. US Truck Campers? Pretty well non existent

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
3 tons wrote:
Love the post!!…BTW, do you still have your Eagle Cap and Ram, and how does your rig fair compared to other rigs per popular opinion??

3 tons

OMG, say it ain’t so…RR has or used to have an American truck and camper??
Can’t wait to hear about it. Lol.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold